Honda NX650 Dominator tracker

The fuss was about me not being sure the middle of the hub is middle of rim. Now i know its ok.

I understand that but exactly why is that important if you use original parts? The 2mm length difference does have a super-minimum effect on the wheel placement.

Because i do not use the original spokes since i dont have them anymore. Everything looked so damn crooked i was wondering if it needed offset. Now i know it does not.

Well, yeah. But i'd call the replacement kit spokes also "the originals". Anyhow, glad you've figured it out :)

I always measure offset before I take a wheel apart. I lay a straight edge across one side of the hub and measure to the edge of the rim. Rims aren't always centered.

Tort, sometimes a rim NEEDS to be spoked offcenter to keep the wheels alligned. When a rim is spoked to a hub both sides equally, its not neccecarily ok.
Bike will handle like shit when the rims are not in one line..

Yeah, offset is important and varies from bike to bike. That being said, I don't think I own a bike that requires rims to be offset to the hub. My BMW R75, XS650, XT500 and CA95 all seem to have centered rims.

Bert Jan said:
Tort, sometimes a rim NEEDS to be spoked offcenter to keep the wheels alligned. When a rim is spoked to a hub both sides equally, its not neccecarily ok.
Bike will handle like shit when the rims are not in one line..

Yes, i understand that but don't these wheels run spokes that are much different (in length or bend) from each other? For some reason i think that if a spoke set includes spokes that are only 2mm different in length, this can't be an offcenter wheel.

Also, if you have an offcenter wheel and correct spokes, doesn't this mean that installing them correctly and tensioning them more or less equally gives you the more or less correct offset?

No. If depends of the flanges (the rings on the hub where the spokes go into). For an (extreme) example:

If the left flange is almost against the swinger and the right flange is just right of the middle, spokes with the same length tightened equally will result in a rim far offcenter to the side the flange is most outside located.

The flanges are not always equally spaced from the the center outwards, due to design purposes.

Another example;

A bicycle front hub with diskbrake has the non-brale side flange more outwards than tje the brake side flange (because the diskbosses are in the way).
Therefor that particular wheel needs an offcenter spoke configuration. The spokes on the brake side need to be shorter to get the rim in thr center of the forks.
(Admitted, on a bicycle you can tension those spokes more to influence the offset) but om a motorcycle thats a no-go. ;)

Get it?

Bert Jan said:
No. If depends of the flanges (the rings on the hub where the spokes go into). For an (extreme) example:

If the left flange is almost against the swinger and the right flange is just right of the middle, spokes with the same length tightened equally will result in a rim far offcenter to the side the flange is most outside located.

Yup, offset depends on the flanges. Correct. But offcenter wheel requires spokes that are different in length, right? Or are you saying that the spokes for an offcenter wheel are more or less the same length and its the tightening that does the trick?

No. Offcenter wheel does not exist. Offcenter rim however... An offcenter rim does not always require different spoke lengths. Sometimes the needed spoke length difference is eliminated by the fact one flange has bigger diameter.

No, except on bicycle wheels.

And because NX hub has different flange diameters but only 2mm spoke length difference i was assuming the rim needed to be build offcenter (taking the middle of the hub between the flanges as reference), to the side where the flange is smaller diameter.

Ok, clear as crystal. I actually used to work in a bike shop 10-15 years ago and have a degree from an engineering faculty, but no experience with motorcycle wheels.

I guess that since the hub looks a bit idiotic, you were right to ask about the centering. I just looked at my spokes, which i managed to refurbish actually and since they seemed to be the same, i just rebuilt the wheel with them and didn't ask any questions.

You telling me all the spokes are the same length was all i needed to know ;)
I worked in a bikeshop to for 7 years and build 100 wheels. Always a fun thing to do and super satisfying!

Thanks a lot! Can´t wait to rip it apart and have it painted, but there are some things to do first that require time and time is what i have very little right now.

Hi Tort, very nice build, can you post here or send me a link from where you bought the 19 inch rim. I am from Serbia so here is also very hard to find a lot of parts.

Back
Top Bottom