81'CM400 The green monster

oldskool

Joon-yah
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
This build started because my previous bike was stolen 3 weeks after it was finished. Since i was pissed I went the next day and bought the heap I bought parts off of for the first one. This was my first CM that was given to me by my uncle. The worst part of it is that it was stolen 30 minutes before I was headed out to RvsM.

Attachments

• 430349_395102377171936_100000165316235_1754758_988735406_n.jpg
    430349_395102377171936_100000165316235_1754758_988735406_n.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 694
  • 400.jpg
    400.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 2,473
This is the heap I bought the next day. i also picked up an 82' cb450 engine since the 400 was seized. I got it broke down and cut off the sections to be replaced.

Attachments

• junk.jpg
    junk.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 588
  • 450cc.jpg
    450cc.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 562
  • stripped.jpg
    stripped.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 900
  • chopped.jpg
    chopped.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 594
i wanted to try to build as much as I could on this one. I started with the clip ons. I used a piece of .250 wall tubing and machined it to 33mm i.d. Then i too some 3/8" round bar and drilled and tapped them to m6x1.00. I used a 5/16" drill bit for the recess. I welded them to the larger tubing them cut through all three at the same time. At first I thought I wanted a squared and skinny race style bike. So I played with some ideas. I actually started building an alloy fairing but changed my mind on the direction I wanted.

Attachments

• idea2.jpg
    idea2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 2,413
  • idea.jpg
    idea.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,532
  • clip on.jpg
    clip on.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 559
  • clamp.jpg
    clamp.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 545
I was a sent a pic of a similar bike for inspiration by CafeMatty. When i seen it it changed my mind of what i wanted. So I started a new tank. The tank's shape was inspired by old Ducatis and Benellis. Then I built a new tail to go with the tank. The last pic is with all the mock up complete

Attachments

• 2222.jpg
    2222.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 2,434
  • cm3.jpg
    cm3.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 2,390
  • cm2.jpg
    cm2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 2,406
  • cm1.jpg
    cm1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2,386
So how long does it take you to make those tanks?
Seems like every thread i see its like "Yeah i built this one, tossed it and did another" haha

Nice Metal work....That fairing you made and hated makes me want to start a small fairing....I think I will....Good luck with the build keep this one on lock down!

Thanks guys, what really sucks about the red one is that's the bike that made me decide to start Retro Moto. Oh well, but because it was stolen the green monster was born. A full tank can take from 12 hrs to 30 hrs depending on the shape and finish. I can knock out a mockup piece in a couple of hours. Sometimes I will see the project from a different angle and see something else or get inspired by something and the vision changes.ost of my inspirations are usually not from other motorcycles. It can be a old piece of machinery, old hot rods, or random things I see while riding. But when it changes I just follow it. The only problem with building tanks is too many options,lol. Btw,my bike has been finished for some time now, you can see it on thebikeshed.cc or syb-magazine.com.

I like that you built another one after the first one got stolen. I like my CM, but I can't say I would do the same. Kudos to you. Really nice work on both. I really like that side cover that you made for the first bike. I know most people like to keep the frame open and minimal, but that cover adds a nice finishing touch.

Thanks tsbigdog,it was mainly principle that made me want to do it. If i didnt know where one was at I probably would have went with something else. Frames are horrible,but the engines are real solid.

My pics after this point are small n crappy. If anyone would still like to see them I'll post em. Recently decide to build an extended swingarm for the 400. It wants to lay down in the corners so I think it will like the stretch. Planning on 3" and will still be able to return it back to stock. Started with 1"x2" rectangular tubing. Then drilled 1" holes with 1" spacing. I used 1"x14gauge tubing to insert and weld into the holes. Then I heated and bent the rails to the angles needed. Currently working on how to hide the hardware inside the arm for the rear wheel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 446
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 431
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 415
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    717 KB · Views: 444
So I got a chance to get the swingarm mounted, still have to build the brake stay n get a chain. A friend of mine gave me the XR1200 shocks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 439
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 471
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    766.9 KB · Views: 503
NvgtrWiggles said:
What's up with that rear brake mount?
I usually only have time to work on my bike on sunday. Rockers vs Mods Dallas is basically a week away,so i have to get on it. wish I could work on it more but i'm swamped in the shop right now.

I'm not criticizing it, I was actually curious about how it's mounted. It looks like the rearset is mounted to some sort of mechanism and I wasn't sure what it was.

Back
Top Bottom