Doing the 1/3 Ton - 1978 GL1000

Rich Ard

doin' the backstroke in an estrogen ocean
DTT BOTM WINNER
Brought it home tonight.

vLJFo5Fl.jpg

Top box, trailer hitch (!), sidecar electric hookup came off tonight. Decided to leave the rear rack on for the time being; hiding the wiring to the Bates bags will be something of an endeavor and I'll wait until I have an evening to do that. Much of the auxiliary wiring was done with wirenuts and splice connectors so I'll be going through that spaghetti - but aside from that, and painting the guards satin black, what you see above is how it's going to stay.

I am considering putting a cupholder on it so I can grab something on my way to work in the morning, which is my only complaint about riding a motorcycle to work. God help me.

Pluses:

- fast as hell
- room to carry a whole bunch of camping stuff or eight gallons of milk
- more comfortable than the sofa I'm sitting on right now, which is pretty comfortable
- nobody is going to steal it
- when idling, sounds kind of like a truck
- all major maintenance done with just shy of 45K miles on the clock, two owners, the last one owns a vintage motorcycle shop

Minuses:

- tach doesn't work and they're apparently made of precious metal
- I can't even bring myself to pretend that the hot college girls are going to look at me
- it took five minutes to turn it around in my driveway

check the tach cable first also the tach drive can wear out on those

let em know if you need some parts i have a bad early gold wing habit

5 minutes? A one legged / 180° burnout takes less than 30 seconds.

If you decide to lose those sidecovers for any reason, I know somebody that wants them.....

Rich Ard said:
....I can't even bring myself to pretend that the hot college girls are going to look at me....

Just put a bigger HONDA badge on it. All the hipster chicks know that only Hondas are the real cafe racer deal. Doesn't matter what model....

Tach cable most likely got pinched in the steering stop. Happens all the time with those things.

Will check the tach cable and cxman, I'll keep you in mind. If you happen to have one of the little sidecover fasteners around, right now I have zipties holding the right side cover on.

Big Rich said:
5 minutes? A one legged / 180° burnout takes less than 30 seconds.

If you decide to lose those sidecovers for any reason, I know somebody that wants them.....

I don't know that this beast is keen on burnouts, but I haven't tried!

Part of the process of purchasing this was having 'the talk' with the seller, kind of like if I were taking his firstborn out for an evening on the town. Part of the extraordinary purchase price was that he gets the first whack at purchasing it back if I decide to sell it, and that I won't cut it up. :)

JustinLonghorn said:
I'm on board, sir.

I look forward to an eventual photo of our bikes together outside a nice coffeeshop. Let me know when you pick up your BMW jacket and we'll make it happen

Rich Ard said:
I look forward to an eventual photo of our bikes together outside a nice coffeeshop. Let me know when you pick up your BMW jacket and we'll make it happen
Make sure you boys go all matchy-matchy in your Triumph t-shirts.

hillsy said:
Just put a bigger HONDA badge on it. All the hipster chicks know that only Hondas are the real cafe racer deal. Doesn't matter what model....
Rich Ard knows that all too well. That's why he has a Honda tank on his xv920.

Sent from planet Earth using mysterious electronic devices and Tapatalk

hillsy said:

I can confirm this. I've had to put a snorkel on my CB125S because it makes 'em wet.

oh god.. I guess im subscribed, seeing everyone whos currently on board with this, could actually be on board the bike at the same time cruising the kzoo streets.

Re: Re: Doing the 1/3 Ton - 1978 GL1000

Rich Ard said:
I don't know that this beast is keen on burnouts, but I haven't tried
What??? You should have found that out by the time you made it to the end of the PO's driveway!

Re: Re: Doing the 1/3 Ton - 1978 GL1000

VonYinzer said:
Fuckin yuppie.

Seriously considering keeping a bottle of mustard in the glove box just in case.

MJPriceisright said:
oh god.. I guess im subscribed, seeing everyone whos currently on board with this, could actually be on board the bike at the same time cruising the kzoo streets.

Don't you drive a Caddy hombre?

The more I see of these Goldwings the more I want one. Lol. Maybe if I can unload my Sportster....

On a side note, my wife got her little CB125 to 75 mph the other day, and was excited about doing the 3/4 ton, as she put it. One of the funniest things I'd heard in a while! Lol.

If you want to get the college girls all worked up just break out the kick starter on that bad boy. Nothing is more badass than a kick starter.

Back
Top Bottom