1991 Slingshot

J-Rod10

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Got the winter project rolled in the shop.

First thing to do. Find out exactly what alloy was used for the frame. Then I'll know what filler is needed for welding a new subframe on, and the process to heat treat it once welded.

As for now, sketching out how I want her to look.
51ede5045359b2c3ccfcd5b08a0671c8.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Now, time to sit back and look at the lines, and start drawing.

Out of curiosity, anyone know what material the frame is? I'd like to be certain, before I start cutting and welding. Need to know which filler I need, and what the heat treat process shall be. I think it is 5052. Not 100% on that, though.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
07e47f8c921139e0c925fba212fd3ecc.jpg

I'd start by checking the frame for straightness/alignment and inspect all the cast to extruded welds for cracks. That's where they tend to crack if there's any damage. I recently recycled an FZR1000 chassis for that reason, though we managed to get an FZR400 straight without any cracks.

Lots of potential to do something with that though

Not sure if you were already thinking this way but weld on some mounts for the subframe so you can manufacture a removable one. It's far easier to fab / modify a removable subframe than one that's welded directly to the chassis.

Ah, the original flexi flier - engine by superman, frame by Clark Kent!

And what a brute of an engine! I am well and truly in on this one!!!

hillsy said:
Not sure if you were already thinking this way but weld on some mounts for the subframe so you can manufacture a removable one. It's far easier to fab / modify a removable subframe than one that's welded directly to the chassis.
Was thinking about getting some square stock, milling a male clevis on it, and press fitting it in what I leave of the stock subframe. Run a couple bolts through to make sure it stays put.

No cracks in the frame/welds. Bike rides well.

1fasgsxr said:
Are the forks bent? That front wheel looks really close to the exhaust..
No. Just the angle of the pic. Wheel is turned to the left, I'm slightly behind and to the right.

I wouldn't mind to do one like this...but it becomes one dimensional . And its an 1100

Attachments

• 1990GSXR1100_rightsidelow.jpg
    1990GSXR1100_rightsidelow.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 260
I have considered, and still am, putting some new plastics on it, and spending the time and coin building the engine. From reading, it's not terribly difficult to pull north of 150HP out of these engines. The hard part for most, is the machine work, and that, I have covered.

J-Rod10 said:
Was thinking about getting some square stock, milling a male clevis on it, and press fitting it in what I leave of the stock subframe. Run a couple bolts through to make sure it stays put.

No cracks in the frame/welds. Bike rides well.
this would probably be the easiest way to do it. Heat treating just opens up a whole can of worms I personally would not want to deal with.
I've been looking for a early/mid 90s GSXR to do the dirt bag challenge with, so I'll be interested in what you do with this.

I'd second the clevis idea and make it removable. Way easier than welding onto the original aluminum frame and makes future repairs less of a headache.

Are you sure that a Mojave tank and short seat wouldn't work. Just kidding. Either of those ideas pictured would look good and be way faster than most of us would know what to do with.

teazer said:
Are you sure that a Mojave tank and short seat wouldn't work. Just kidding. Either of those ideas pictured would look good and be way faster than most of us would know what to do with.
There was a guy at Barber with about ten Mojave tanks. I briefly thought about buying them all, so I could crush them. Then, I saw he had $300 a pop on them.

After much thought, with no time to work on it, I've decided not to cut the subframe. That frame is far too good looking as it sits.

Been playing with some seat designs, along with some 1/4 fairing configurations. I've got some work to do to get a new milling center hooked up in three weeks. When that's up and running, I should have a bit more free time to work on the bike. First thing, is going to be to pull the engine and rebuild it. Get it cleaned up and painted. I need to get some spacers built to fit the swingarm I'm going to use to the frame, and get an axle built to fit the wheel I want to run.

Taking out completely fabricating a new subframe, it should go quick enough once I get the time to get to it.

Back
Top Bottom