1981 CB750K Project Superleggera

omgwtfbbq!

Hey guys, been a lurker for a while but things are finally rolling with my build so I can finally contribute!

Where better to start than the beginning:

The story I was told is the original owner bought two sequential serial number CB750s new in 1981 so him and his wife could go riding together. They didn't, for whatever reason. One sat in the yard, one in the garage under a tarp. Fast forward 30 years, a passing tow truck driver sees the one in the yard. He knocks on the door, offers to buy it. The owner agrees and says there is another one in the garage. Tow truck driver calls his buddy who promptly comes and buys it. His buddy rebuilds the carbs, relines the fuel tank, changes the plugs, oil and filters, and shes back to life. Then he gets a massive pay cut at work. He puts it up for sale. I enter the picture, drive an hour in a uhaul truck and take her home. The original owner put hard bags on the rear, so I have to source new blinkers. Previous owner changed the bars so I had to grab some cheap mirrors. But she purrs like a walrus with just 2200 miles on the clock, just need to replace the 34 year old tires and she'll be good to go.
Cmc5lf2.jpg

I put just shy of 2000 more miles on her over the course of 6 months, change the oil, replace fork seals and the battery along with the starter solenoid. Take a look at the internals and everything looks brand new in the engine. 34 years and not a single flake of rust on anything important.
jSE8Ltg.jpg

That brings us to today.
d0jDNkA.jpg

My rough inspiration for the bike was this image on google:
1ElzDOj.jpg

The GF demands I run a brat seat so she can ride along, my only demand is that the subframe triangle remain free of clutter.

The plan:
I want to do a very modern build. All LED lighting, modern suspension, bespoke carbon fiber engine/clutch/sprocket/etc covers to reduce weight, modern instrument cluster, more aggressive riding position, the usual café bits with a more modern than usual twist.

My degree is in Mechanical Engineering with a focus in High Performance Vehicles, so I don't just want to screw around and make a hipster bike; I want to actually see results.

With that in mind I took some preliminary measurements. The bike as I bought her weighs 540lbs wet, and makes 72whp (I'll upload the dyno graph as soon as I remember to bring it to work with me). I plan to re-weigh and re-dyno the bike after each major applicable change to see what impact I'm actually having.

I've started a preliminary design for a custom exhaust and intake system. The final design and manufacture of those components is next on the list after the suspension gets sorted. I'd like a titanium exhaust, but I also like eating things that aren't ramen, so I need to find a good compromise there.

Today I picked up these:
W2gxlQw.jpg

The complete front end off a 2009 Yamaha R6. I was trying to keep it all Honda parts, but my guy had no idea when he was gonna get a complete front end in, and the cost would have been the same or more. Plus I'm a sucker for gold forks.

A63ODSt.jpg

Soon.

I got home and patiently waited for my mailman to bring me the next piece of the puzzle:
dYTvQY5.jpg

Conversion stem and bearings!

The package arrived about an hour before I had to leave for work, so I rushed off to use the 20 ton press.
OV5I14q.jpg

Out with the old...

...and with a little persuasion...

iM0gESD.jpg

...in with the new.

Now I'm sitting in my office watching the clock waiting for quittin' time. Tomorrow I hope to slap the front end on and start sorting out the wiring with the new controls, as well as the throttle/clutch cables. Then I'll be on the lookout for parts for the rear. After reading tons of posts here and on CB1100F I think I've decided to go with a Blackbird swing arm and dual shocks. I like the retro look of the dual shock, and dislike the work it would be to properly install most monoshock suspensions. I considered a single sided swingarm for a bit, but I don't think the CB frame needs any more torsional stress than it deals with already.

Assuming I keep the stock rear, I'm going to be reducing my trail to about 90mm according to some off the cuff CAD drawings. That sounds like a riot. I need a 2.3" drop in the rear to bring the trail back up to 100mm, which is probably going to have a slight impact on the ground clearance. We'll see how that goes. More to follow.

I'm in.
I have a cb750 I've been wanting to put modern suspension on as well, and have a r1 front end in the corner I've been eye balling. Excited to see where this go's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great, I'm also in the middle of a GSXR fork swap on my 81' 750C. I wanted to do the R1 forks for that vivid gold as well but was I having a terrible time finding some. GSXR forks were found local and fair priced so I jumped on them. Good luck with everything, I'll be following.

Made some good progress today. Tore the bike down, removed all the bits in the way.
b67EQQ6.jpg

Pulled the upper and lower triple without much hassle.
bBDhV0A.jpg

pjCfRL2.jpg

Did a test fit and found the upper tab interfered with the new triple. So it was off to harbor freight to buy an angle grinder.
LPHMy17.jpg

Removing the old bearing races was a bit of fun. Had to cut the lower one because none of my tools could get any kind of hold on it. Nothing a dremel can't solve though.

Then we ran into a real problem, The new upper race was going in smooth as silk, until it wasn't. I glanced at it as I slowly tapped it into place and saw a crack. I removed it again and it chipped as well. So progress has stopped for now while I await a replacement from all balls. At least I have plenty of beer.
El9OYbx.jpg

In keeping with my theme of actually tracking improvements I weighed all the original bits that came off the bike, as well as the replacements. This is preliminary, and doesn't include some small things, the bike will be weighed assembled again on the same scales to keep the comparisons fair.

PartOld Weight (lbs)New Weight (lbs)Delta
Wheel/rotor29.225.4-3.8
Forks/calipers/fender21.625.03.4
Lower triple/stem5.82.4-3.4
Upper triple/gauges/controls13.05.0-8.0
Headlight2.6N/AN/A
Total72.257.8-14.4

Now this is unfair since I haven't yet purchased my headlight assemblies, nor have I found a replacement gauge cluster. But even with that taken into account, losing 14 pounds is a step in the right direction.

What are you planning for the tank? Aluminum, fiberglass, CF? I'm in, I'll be interested in some of your weight saving ideas.

tyvanwie said:
What are you planning for the tank? Aluminum, fiberglass, CF? I'm in, I'll be interested in some of your weight saving ideas.

My current goal for the tank is a mix of carbon and aramid (kevlar). Specifically, I'm thinking a carbon shell with an aramid liner. Though I may go straight carbon if I can find a suitable liner that will resist rupture in the event of a crash.

I was thinking last night on manufacturing methods for the tank. I want female tools but I lack an easy method of creating them as our CNC router only has a 3" Z travel. I could do it in layers, but that's a pain and MDF isn't cheap. Foam is an option, but the finish isn't great and sealing it is a hassle. I could use the original tank as a plug, but I'll probably need to modify the profile to generate clearance for the clip ons. How much I won't know till tomorrow when my replacement bearing arrives.

As far as battery replacement goes, I would suggest a Shorai lithium - Ive used a handful of these on various builds and havent failed me yet

Attachments

• 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 413
I've thought about going to a small lithium battery but I've also heard that these old charging systems have a habit of killing them rather quickly. Any issues with that?

As for progress, I made a little tonight. I got the lower stem race in without issue. The new upper should be in tomorrow. I modified the throttle cables to work with the R6 throttle, it works, but it doesn't work great. Probably gonna have to switch to R6 cables, or get a custom set made. I also pulled the ignition out of the old triple. It almost fits. Not quite though. I have ambitions of eventually going to a custom RFID ignition system, but until then it looks like I'm gonna need a little adapter plate.

Side note: Honda really made those 90 degree bends out of some tough stuff. I went through 4 cutting wheels on the dremel getting those bastards off.

it seems lithium batteries are considerably sensitive to under/overcharging and some charging systems may crack 15+ volts which is an easy way to make one give up the ghost quickly and without warning.

a good r/r combo and a voltmeter can help with this.

vandito.cb said:
it seems lithium batteries are considerably sensitive to under/overcharging and some charging systems may crack 15+ volts which is an easy way to make one give up the ghost quickly and without warning.

a good r/r combo and a voltmeter can help with this.

This is the experience I've had in other applications. My r/r setup is original, and from what I've seen still working well enough. But working well enough for 35 year old equipment is not really on the same level as modern setups. At idle my bike isn't being charged at all, the battery terminals read 11.5V give or take. Above about 3000rpm the system is around 14V. I'd love a compact battery, but I don't want to be dropping cash on new batteries every year.

they have chargers for them in case you're worried about that. even battery tenders without a desulfation mode can be used, although i wouldn't leave it unattended.

there are specific voltage numbers for what voltage you don't want it to go under as well as over on the companies' websites.

i, myself, plan to run a lithium battery soon as well and I have the same exact concerns as you, but close monitoring and light maintenance can go a long way.

omgwtfbbq! said:
This is the experience I've had in other applications. My r/r setup is original, and from what I've seen still working well enough. But working well enough for 35 year old equipment is not really on the same level as modern setups. At idle my bike isn't being charged at all, the battery terminals read 11.5V give or take. Above about 3000rpm the system is around 14V. I'd love a compact battery, but I don't want to be dropping cash on new batteries every year.

Look at the EarthX brand of lion batteries, they have a bit more smarts in them regarding charge/overcharge. You can use any modern trickle charger with them. I'm really happy with the one I have.

Talk to Sonrier at SparckMoto about an RR and battery for your bike. I don't know if he has one, but he knows more about those pesky electrons than most of us.

BTW, why "Superleggera"? Eddie Dow called his cartridge style forks that back in the early sixties. They were the forks to have on your Goldie back in the day along with Duetto 2LS brakes (before disks). Just wondering.

I'll check out the various battery options, thanks guys.

The name comes from the Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera. A lighter, more taught version of the base Gallardo. I'm striving for the same effect, a lighter, more focused CB750 than the original offering.

Back
Top Bottom