89 cbr600 Baby Fighter! *Stage 2 Initiated!*

Re: 89 cbr600 Baby Fighter!

PICTURES!

Here the subrame is bedlined black.
IMG_4872.jpg

Shortened some wires. I still have the left control wires to shorten then attack the main harness. I also have to find out which wires are the left and right turn signals along with the grounds.
IMG_4882.jpg

Bedlined the front fender.
IMG_4884.jpg

Bedlined the headlight brackets.
IMG_4885.jpg

Here's the tank. Still needs a wetsand and clear.
IMG_4886.jpg

Here's a mockup of the tank on the bike. The paint doesn't really look even on the tank so I'm hoping a wetsand would maybe blend it in? I was thinking about giving it another coat but I think I can live with this. Either re-do the tank now or next tear down.
IMG_4891.jpg

The PO painted the whole headlight black. I wanted the chrome surround on the headlight so I stripped the paint and steel wooled it. Ba-da-bing.
IMG_4897.jpg

Nice work man. Great color choice too. How do you like the bedliner paint? is it super textured like, well, bedliner? I used VHT chasis paint on my frame last time and so far I find it pretty fragile. Looking for something tougher. I was going to try appliance epoxy next but bedliner makes sense. I'm looking for a smooth finish though.

Not to hijack, but have you tried POR 15? I heard that stuff dries rock hard but have never used it personally. I know it's not uv stable though - NEEDS a good topcoat

POR 15 is tank liner, right? Or is that a brand name? I have a small can to line a tank with right now but its too cold to do anything with it yet.

diesel450 said:
Nice work man. Great color choice too. How do you like the bedliner paint? is it super textured like, well, bedliner? I used VHT chasis paint on my frame last time and so far I find it pretty fragile. Looking for something tougher. I was going to try appliance epoxy next but bedliner makes sense. I'm looking for a smooth finish though.

I'm pretty sure VHT chassis paint is epoxy paint. I just got some for my bike because they had satin black and appliance epoxy only came in gloss. VHT has an epoxy paint and a chassis paint and they looked like the same thing. I wrote VHT and asked them, and they said they are the same thing with different labels.

Bedliner sounds interesting. I was thinking of painting the knee dents on my tank with that.

The bike is looking good man!

Thats what I used, the satin black you can scrape it off with your finger nail. Let me know if you have better results. could be my application.

diesel450 said:
POR 15 is tank liner, right? Or is that a brand name? I have a small can to line a tank with right now but its too cold to do anything with it yet.

POR 15 is a brand name. They use it a lot for body restoration on jeeps and stuff.

Hey guys!

I used two different bedlinders. I used Rustoleum on the subrame, which has a lot more texture than Duplicolor bedliner which I used in the fender and the headlight brackets. With my experience, it seems to hold up as the appliance epoxy.

I was thinking about bedlining the knee part of the tank as well but I like the tank as a whole color. I already started sanding the tank down again to fill up some scratch marks. I'm going to try to finish the tank tomorrow along with the wiring. I'm also waiting on some parts to arrive in the mail. I gotta finish this thing by next month, or let's say, next year! Haha.

not to hijack the thread-POR-15 sells a lot of products. the rust preventative coating, POR-15, is self named and is extremely durable to the likes of powdercoating. Problem is you need to use their topcoat to prevent UV fading, which adds labor and cost. I used their POR-15 BlackCote, which is a chassis paint. It's a single coat paint and it more durable than any spray paint I've tried, but nowhere near as durable as its main product (it's meant as a topcoat to the rust preventative coat but can be used alone as I've done).

I used a $15 mini spray gun from harbor freight and it worked okay. It's a moisture cured urethane so it needs to be reduced when you spray it and will harden in the can if you leave it open a CRACK for too long. Of course, I put too much work on my back when I went to paint all my pieces and the frame at once, pulling an all-nighter while unknowingly sick with mono :-[ that was a rough summer.
3860587637_4e946a073d_b.jpg

As you can tell it isn't blended or sprayed completely, especially around the neck. Good thing most of the frame will be covered up. I still need to perfect my approach for painting frames, next time I'll shoot the tubes from the inside at once and spray from outside another day since overspray is unaviodable/I'm not worried what's out of sight.
4201258725_c9bdc52f63.jpg

The smaller parts I painted came out great and I ran a knife down an edge and the paint didn't chip. Actually, I found a piece of newspaper with a good amount of the dried BlackCote and it wouldn't rip-the paint was that durable. Anyways, my .02cents if you;re looking for a glossy, extremely durable paint try the POR-15 Blackcote.

Rattlecan ain't so bad but I do want to save up for a compressor and spray gun. Thanks for the tip man!!

goodfornothing said:
Here's the tank. Still needs a wetsand and clear.
IMG_4886.jpg

is that paint metallic?? if so you dont want to wet sand it before clearing it, it will cut into the metal flake and look silly. just scuff it with a green 3m pad (actually grey) and spray another coat.....it looks like you were spraying too close and thats why its blotchy.

looks good man! how did you score the tail so cheap! i got some goodies at the swap meet for my rocket... the owner is coming ot pick up his dyna this weekend so i will have a build thread up soon, that way we can bounce some ideas back and forth

GET THAT THREAD UP JRK!!!

The tail that I won is the same one pictured on the red hurricane on page one. I just got it in today and it's in pretty good condition. There are two open spaces on each side where a rail pokes through. I don't really intend on filling those in. I should, but I'm thinking about covering it with some gold mesh.

Anyway, I spend the first part of my day DOING WORK!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!
IMG_4898.jpg

OOOO CRAZY! My grinder finally died on me right when I finished stripping the remainder of the paint! Perfect timing eh? Since this one is dead, I'll be picking up another $20 grinder from Harbor Freight.
IMG_4900.jpg

Self-Etchedddd
IMG_4901.jpg

Here is where I stopped. Three coats of the Duplicolor Metalcast ground coat. I think this is where the final coat appeared blotchy. I'm going to wet sand this layer. I tried spraying the ground coat as even and steady as I can but it still came out this way. SOO first thing tomorrow is a wetsand then the color goes on.
IMG_4905.jpg

Very nice! i like the idea of the mesh... you should use the same stuff i used on my side covers on the cafe, super easy to work with, i actually use it on rockets alot to make grills in the fairings, holds paint very well, super light so some cauk will hold it in place no problem.
I cleared out space in the shop to get my rocket over... only problem is now we got about a foot of snow on the ground, my trailer is 1/2 way to missouri right now... so i got to figure out how to get the bike over to start the tear down. got my powder in and I am stoked to lay some of it!
love the new color on the tank man!
this screen stuff... looks wicked if you put an LED behind it as well... you going to light that sucker up? i light rockets all the time
2504apf.jpg

here are 2 gSxR's that i have lit up
lrg-341-2zzsx9k.jpg

lrg-345-29mafrq.jpg

Where can I get the mesh that you used?

And is having LEDs street legal in Cali? I'd so DO it haha!!

Balls of steel!

not sure, depends on the color... i stock in LED kits: UV, purple, blue, red, green, orange, yellow, white, and plasma white

as far as the mesh, it is from a stove overhead filter. they are like 10 bucks at the hardare store, take the metal trim off it and the mesh/charchole center out and the upper and lower screens are what you need, they are super plyable and easy to work with. cut your hole clean, then over cut the sceen, press it through the opening, then use some all purpose outdoor cauk to seal it in there. i tape over the cauk then when it is try remove the tape, helps hold it all together...
i think i got some pictures of a rocket i did in yellow with black screens somewhere, had a yellow LED kit on it as well... looked wicked!

Wifeys old GSXR... the yellow was sick!
21l0lk0.jpg

34yr86c.jpg

Me trying (and failing) to wheelie a 3 mile bridge in FL on it
2h7hxsh.jpg

her ripping on it after i regeared it and put the full pipe on... way to fast
eb29t0.jpg

Ahh! Looks good!! I have to find me a woman who isn't afraid of bikes too...

Btw, I'm totally going with pink LEDs on this project!

Back
Top Bottom