1980 Yamaha XS250 restoration

stubanger

Howdi all, decided on a XS250 for my first motorcycle restoration as i already have a XS250 wreck with a dead motor that has a few good parts left on it. Got a call from a mate on the weekend to say he has one with the solid state ignition nearly identical to my parts bike. A couple of bucks later and i arrived home with this:

So far i have managed to sort out some of the wiring to get the electric starter turning. Swapped in another coil now have a nice spark at both plugs. Put a few drops of oil down the bores as i dont know how long shes been sitting and it sounds alright rolling on the starter with no plugs in it. Tried putting some fuel into the carbs with an auxilary tank to see if she would fire, got a cough out of it but then the battery was flat.

Battery now on charge ready for round 2 tomorrow night, Will probably drop the carbs and throw them in the ultrasonic cleaner for a bit. It does have pods on it and ive read they can be a pain without the original airbox like 'most' small bikes without proper tuning/jetting.

Basic plans at the moment is to get her running and check the transmission/clutch out, havent done a compression test yet(cant find the darn thing-put it in a 'safe place') then start tear down. Any advice/feedback etc would be appreciated along the way. Cheers

A lot of work ahead of you but that just makes it all the more worthwhile. Be great if you can get it running in a day or two, that just gives a nice feel when you start the restoration. Will watch with interest

Back
Top Bottom