BSA Goldstar

John Vietti

Hello all,

I just joined after reading Swans lengthy post re a Goldstar restoration. My hobby is building small engines and magnetos.

I want to build a running Goldstar engine with a bore of 13/8". Does anyone know of a source for dimensioned drawings. I have all the usual Goldie books but really need dimensions or straight on photos. Starting the journey making crankcase molds.

Thanks in advance.

John in Wyoming

Can't help you with drawings, but I am curious about how you deal with miniaturisation of components such as spark plugs, coils etc.

Crazy

Thanks for the reply.

Spark plugs are no problem. I use mostly 10 mm plugs as used in leaf blowers etc. They are made for model engines down to 1/4", though expensive. You can also make your own using Corian for the insulator.

My niche is making small magnetos. If you don't want them too small you can use a chain saw coil. To go smaller you have to wind your own coil which is kind of tedious cause the secondary wire is smaller in dia than your hair and takes up to 20,000 turns, no shorts allowed. What makes these small magnetos possible are rare earth magnets.

I esp enjoyed Swans thread because I advertised for BSA victor parts in a west Texas newspaper about 1990. A guy called from New Mexico and said he had two Goldstars instead. They were in parts and scattered around a hog farm. They were mostly there so I bought them.

John

Thanks for the info John, most interesting, although coil winding sounds painful.

Funny you should mention the Victor. I bought a new B44 in 1969 (?) and spent many years in a love/hate relationship.

One of the very few bikes I wish I hadn't sold.

Crazy

Crazy,

As luck would have it I ran an add locally for BSAs. Got a call today for BSA 50mx. Going to go retrieve it tomorrow. Have a Victor 440 needing parts. Between the two I hope to make a runner.

I have had good luck with wanted adds;cheap too. Try it!

Cheers, John

Back
Top Bottom