Dans CB350 Cafe build - first bike and build

Danw8976

I'm new here and I thought my first post might as well be the start of my build thread. Any advice and help anyone can offer along the way would be greatly appreciated! I know without a doubt that i'll be asking a lot of questions.

For a bit of background I know very little about bikes and have only ridden a handful of times. So you maybe thinking why are you putting in so much time and effort so early on.

Simple answer I want to learn and what better way. Also once I'm done I'll know the bike inside out and will hopefully learn to ride it knowing it's limits early on. .

On to the bike
Basically a frame with bits hanging off. The engine turns but won't start. The bike came from a bulk container shipped to the UK from new Mexico. I'm not sure why but they are a rare bike in the UK so couldn't pass up the chance. It'll be pretty unique on the UK roads once done.

I'll be stripping the bike and inspecting the frame this week.

Attachments

• 1858.jpg
    1858.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 289
Stripped the bike down this evening took a few of the tabs for airbox covers and a feel other bits off to clean up the frame. Also made the seat loop that I'll cut and chop into place.

Attachments

• 2167.jpg
    2167.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 268
Cutting the frame for the loop.

Attachments

• 2202.jpg
    2202.jpg
    652.1 KB · Views: 266
  • 2170.jpg
    2170.jpg
    800.5 KB · Views: 260
  • 2169.jpg
    2169.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 275
Welcome to DTT. :)

Ok my first and best piece of advise is...

Make it run and ride it for a bit. So you know what you got to work with before putting a bunch of money and effort into it.

A little late for that now though. ;)

Its a shame you've taken it all apart so quickly eager to chop.. my best advice for your first bike build is buy a running bike first! I really would before anything get that bike road worthy and running and mechanically sound. Then you can start the strip down and modifications with a working bike having the confidence.

Good luck .. with the build , try and photo everything you take a part, label everything.. put parts in bags.. trust me its vital to be organised and get a manual too. They are fairly simple bikes but helps.

Being in mexico you will find most of the rubbers will be perished everywhere as well.. David Silvers will be your banks worst enemy!

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice guys. Bit late to ride it for a bit first unfortunately but it was a long way to ever seeing a road without spending a ton on it first.

I finished off smoothing the frame and welding the seat loop in this morning. will sand blast and prep this afternoon ready for paint. I've ordered everything i think i will need for the build and hope to at least have a rolling frame ready for the weekend. Ill then strip and rebuild the motor and see if i can get it running.

I'm hoping a fairly quick build and have it on the road by the end of October.

Sounds like you are on it, I'm subscribed.. .. You will be finished before my current project by the sounds of it.

Are you uprating the shocks at all? riding position?

For the time being i wont, i figure if i get the frame style the way i want then strip clean and paint everything, build it back up with mainly styling mods i can get it running ride it for a little while and see how the ride and positioning is like then replace and adapt as needed.

Before you go any further, reassemble the swing arm and rear wheel. Take the spring off of one of the shocks and put it on the bike, or put it on the bike with the spring and compress it completely with a ratchet strap until the rubber bump stop is compressed. Then see how much clearance you have between the hoop and the tire. If you don't plan on any sort of fender (and you'll wish you had one as you gain experience riding) you need at least 1/2" of space. It is hard to tell from the pics, but I'd guess your tire will contact the hoop before it runs out of suspension travel, which means you will have to cut it back off and reconsider your engineering. You should also keep in mind any rim/tire/swing arm changes you might plan to make as this will obviously impact the situation. In fact, experienced folks get all those sorts of things sorted out and mocked up before doing any welding on anything.

Yeah I'm afraid thats correct.. what he said, it sounds like you are already going for it but its really key to make sure the bike handles.. its why I mentioned.. the main function of a cafe racer is taking a stock bike and making it perform better the the original.

I hope the hoop photo isn't of the finished welding job. It's not done.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jpmobius said:
Before you go any further, reassemble the swing arm and rear wheel. Take the spring off of one of the shocks and put it on the bike, or put it on the bike with the spring and compress it completely with a ratchet strap until the rubber bump stop is compressed. Then see how much clearance you have between the hoop and the tire. If you don't plan on any sort of fender (and you'll wish you had one as you gain experience riding) you need at least 1/2" of space. It is hard to tell from the pics, but I'd guess your tire will contact the hoop before it runs out of suspension travel, which means you will have to cut it back off and reconsider your engineering. You should also keep in mind any rim/tire/swing arm changes you might plan to make as this will obviously impact the situation. In fact, experienced folks get all those sorts of things sorted out and mocked up before doing any welding on anything.

Thanks for the advice. I've just painted the frame but once it's properly dry and I've got the new tyres mounted I'll give it a go.

Welding finished and frame painted. Tanks also been stripped, braised a few pin holes and sealed with tank liner and primed ready for paint tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2211.jpg
    2211.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 248
  • 2204.jpg
    2204.jpg
    869.2 KB · Views: 251
  • 1900.jpg
    1900.jpg
    654.3 KB · Views: 247
Back
Top Bottom