76 CB360, Cherry Bomb at Barber's

Re: 76 CB360, Lovin the new pipes.

Oh, wife and daughter were on the plane to California to visit my brother. So, between naps, texting them and just messing around here I didnt go for a ride. Even though the weather yesterday was beautiful.

I did put the o2 sensor on her and here in the garage. I found she was a little better (leaner) 2-4k rpm. And a little richer 5k and up.

But, pretty much splitting hairs now. Overall, as far as running and riding is concerned , it really dont matter with K&Ns or stock boxes she is running super.

This has become a weird sickness for me.

I will go for a ride today and see what that tells me. Even though I know there wont be a significant difference.

frogman said:
How's it run with the stock boxes back on?

Finally weather permitted a ride this evening.

With the stock filters installed she is doing good. Maybe a bit less acceleration, wot

above 6500 she goes lean. 15 to 1 and just blipping into the 16 to1 ratio.

Idle to 6500 :) she hangs right around 12 + to 1 and gets into 13 to 1. and thats right where she seems to be happiest.

Best power and acceleration, Shes running under 600 f nearest the head collars and sipping fuel.

Im gonna tame the lean upper rpms w 110s or 112s and call her done. Well maybe not DONE-DONE. But done enough to ride for a while. Then start working w PJs custom stuff.

Once Mr. E comes through w the billet triple top... Ill be putting some lipstick on this old pig. 8)

That's about right for modified carbs. You know problem when removing airbox is excess rich mid range so carbs are modified to use correct secondary mains with 'pods' and lean out mid~top end. Bigger jet fixes the 'problem' but may still be slightly rich mid range with stock airbox

I still got the modified soldered main primary emulsion tubes installed which are working out very nicely w the new mufflers and stock boxes, and worked pretty decent leaning out midrange rpm w the k&ns. So I can go either way now.

With the new chambered and baffled mufflers, exhaust system measures approx 50 inches from collar to tips.

Approx 2 turns on A/F
41 pilots, seems to help w take off hesitation and decel popping, due to modded leaner mid.
68 primaries w my own modified tubes reduced to .82mm
K&N Pods = 107s
Stock NOS filters and boxes = 110 or 112 ? Yet to come.

And she is running awesome!

Thanks so much pj for your un-ending help, advice, work and patience.

I will get busy testing your experimental bits as soon as a return from the Spring Thaw.

BTW

Can you turn out a couple pairs of main primary emulson tubes? W stock bleed holes and reduced size (pee) holes at the tip.

I've made a fixture to modify stock ones, easier than making completely new.
What size did you want?
1.10mm is dead easy, smaller I haven't tried yet

crazypj said:
I've made a fixture to modify stock ones, easier than making completely new.
What size did you want?
1.10mm is dead easy, smaller I haven't tried yet

I have the soldered/drilled primary tubes installed now. drilled at .82mm. I am thinking smaller. a pair at .76mm and at .79...approx.
11494-130714073509-4661345.jpeg

Also, getting ahead of myself. Im am getting ready (procrastinating presently ::) ) to install the 112s.

Could you please give me a little education on these needles. I have 4 sizes. Lean, Stock, Rich, 2x Rich. (pic are the leanest and richest) The only difference is the tip diameter and respectively slightly the taper.
My question...

Where is the difference in these needles gonna show up? I assume, at the upper rpm range. When the slide is peaking.
So, it should gradually get leaner(fatter tip) or richer (smaller tip) as the needle rises.

So, if the 112s prove too rich when needles first begin to rise (4500rpm), then I need to jet down and work with 110s & needles. Because, theoretically these needles should act the same at first. Because they start out the same diameter.

11494-040415062158.jpeg

OK rather than wait for you guys to get outta bed. I decided on this mix.

110s w 2xRR needles. I want to keep her lean as possible mid and richen as she revs from there.

I dont like using these needles as they arent readily available to everyone. :mad:

If she still proves too lean above 6k. I will go 112s w Lean needles. see what that gets me.

Hey, I was out of bed early (not 4:30 am though ;D )
This morning I was asked told to resign as an insurance agent, just couldn't get appointments or the script right so I'll be unemployed again as soon as I send letter of resignation :eek:
Anyway, yes, your right.
Thinner tip needle gets richer as it rises.
I still haven't made a cutter to lower needle in slide, that would make things a lot easier to mess with
I'll try making a stock primary discharge tube smaller (I think I may try a piece of brass first, don't want t totally mess up a $15.00 piece )

Sorry to hear about the job.

Even aluminum should work...if thats any cheaper and/or easier to drill ?

Brass is easier to work with for things like this as it doesn't stick to the tooling

OK, got a windy but decent little run in today.

110 secondaries and 2xrich needles. has pretty much swapped my issues.

Shes a bit rich 10to1, 4k-5k and perfection 13to1 above 5500rpm and up to the top 9k or so.

Going back to 107s to help control mid. and going w 2xrich needles. To begin working out lean issue above 5500.

more to come

Below 5.5k it's barely on the secondaries so you should be able to tweak primary main jets a half size?
Do you have the 65's in there?
Another way to do it would be leave the 110 and adjust float level 1mm higher

crazypj said:
Below 5.5k it's barely on the secondaries so you should be able to tweak primary main jets a half size?
Do you have the 65's in there?
Another way to do it would be leave the 110 and adjust float level 1mm higher

nope not 65s got the 68s installed. Ive been considering re-installing smaller main primary jets.

For me "hating messing w floats and being half blind" float height change is absolutely a last ditch effort. :mad:

But not out of the question. ;D

But know you got me thinking the 110s may be OK if I knock mains down a notch and go w leaner needles.

My gosh its like the never ending rubiks cube of satan.

Re: 76 CB360, Functional Front Fender.

Just for fun...

Wondering what she would look like w front fender thats actually FUNCTIONAL !

I really REALLY like it. 8) But, now may have to roll the rear fender around to match. ::)

And I ordered one of those old timey style front fender tag things from India. So, thats coming someday.

11494-180415182115.jpeg

I totally agree about the rear fender. It'll look really good with two long fenders. Hell while you're at it try another seat. Maybe something with a more contoured saddle shape. Keep reinventing the babe.

deviant said:
I totally agree about the rear fender. It'll look really good with two long fenders. Hell while you're at it try another seat. Maybe something with a more contoured saddle shape. Keep reinventing the babe.

I will mess w the rear fender. But, Im never touching the seat. Its my favorite part of the machine.

Fair enough. Nothing wrong with it. Did you get ride of the stock bump stop? I noticed earlier in the thread this seat is on the bike with the stock bump still in place exposed to the rear. Btw, I hope you don't punch me when we get to Thaw. :eek: ;)

deviant said:
Fair enough. Nothing wrong with it. Did you get ride of the stock bump stop? I noticed earlier in the thread this seat is on the bike with the stock bump still in place exposed to the rear. Btw, I hope you don't punch me when we get to Thaw. :eek: ;)

Its still there. And yes, I have every intention of punching you when we get to the thaw. Wait, why in the heck would I punch you? lol

I originally kept it cause I liked the helmet hanger. But now w the high pipes. I no longer use it. I made a new helmet hanger on the lower triple bracket.

Looks smexy man, I like full fenders though especially down tight on the tire.

Back
Top Bottom