4th has gone AWOL

Chris9178

Well I got my friend to take my 1984 Suzuki VR650 Tempter out for a quick ride today. Seems like were missing 4th gear. The engine loses power after shifting to 4th gear, said he had to quickly change into 5th or 3rd before it stalled. Any ideas to what the possibilities are and approx. cost to fix. or if I even have to fix this right away. I'm figuring it has something to do with the gear box and from I understand there's a lot if work involved in getting to that and fixing it. Also I read somewhere than you can just double shift and go straight to 5th skipping 4th all together is that true? Is it safe to ride it like that if I'm planning on only doing 80-90km top speed. Again thanks for all the input I'm very new to motorcycles and appreciate every comment.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Hard to diagnose this sort of stuff over the net, but if it's potentially stalling in 4th then it sounds more like it's an ignition related issue rather than a gearbox issue (if the gear was AWOL then the bike would just rev like it was in neutral).

Does the bike have a gear indicator on the instrument cluster? If so I'm thinking maybe the 4th gear wire is shorting out or something causing the bike to want to shut off?

The bike does have a gear indicator and 4th doesn't show up on it. If its just a short then thats great news. I'll know more on exactly what happens after this weekend(I'm taking the motorcycle driving course) when I'm able to take it out myself and see exactly what happens. Thanks a lot for your input I'll update again on Sunday.

If it does what your friend says it does then unplug the gear indicator - there should be a connector block somewhere under the tank (take off the front sprocket cover and trace the wires back up to the instruments). If the problem goes away then you know what it is.

After completing my m1 exit exam and course. I immediately took my bike out for a ride and wow!!!!!! So awesome. Contrary to what my friend told me 4th is there and perfectly fine he must have switched into it too early. It isn't showing up on the gage though. Man this bike will be awesome after it's done....its awesome now!!!!

Back
Top Bottom