DWMS Racing RD350 Cafe Racer! New Gold Leaf Lettering And Graphics!

Re: DWMS Racing RD350 Build! New Custom Frame Work Photos!

Dumb question are you running pipes out the front i just glanced at another rd your real close to where the exh ports dump there. But i guess if you reverse the jugs and run a single carb.

Joe this thing is looking better and better everyday. I love the detail of having a fully functional mud guard that is not visible from the sides on the front and back when looking for it.

@50gary - that is a cool idea with the nickels I like that a lot. Might have to try and incorporate that into one of my builds.

50gary said:
This may be silly and not in keeping with your style on this bike but.. I do this from time to time. On the open frame tubes (toward the rear) I'd weld a nickle to cap the tubes. Sprint car guys weld nickles on the top of the traditional push bar, for good luck? On the left, the year the bike was manufactured, on the right, the year it will be finished.
Cheers, 50gary

That is an awesome idea Brother, we put a penny in the flat head slot on the end of our main jet needle adjustment on our racing karts so I can reach over and adjust the carburetor while racing as the engine sits right next to me in the kart however I never thought about using coins in the frame!

bradj said:
Dumb question are you running pipes out the front i just glanced at another rd your real close to where the exh ports dump there. But i guess if you reverse the jugs and run a single carb.

We are going to run the exhaust in the stock location Brother, I set the engine in the frame before I made the new cross brace frame rail that connects the front down tubes to check for clearance and we have a lot of room. I put the bottom end of the engine in the frame today and set the cylinders and heads on to check the clearances again, we are not going to use the stock exhaust however I bolted the left header on so that I could take some photos for you.

casi85 said:
Joe this thing is looking better and better everyday. I love the detail of having a fully functional mud guard that is not visible from the sides on the front and back when looking for it.

@50gary - that is a cool idea with the nickels I like that a lot. Might have to try and incorporate that into one of my builds.

Thank You Brother, we really want to try and keep the whole bike as clean as possible!

000_0004-2.jpg

000_0005-3.jpg

000_0007-2.jpg

000_0008-3.jpg

Inspiring effort here!! 8) Beautiful work!! 8)

DWMS Racing RD350 Build! New Custom Frame Work Photos!

I may have missed it but are the ends going to be kept like that (with or without pennies)?

The nickel idea sounds cool but the ends will eventually be welded to the "loop" for the seat, I believe.

Joe, it's really looking nice. How can something with no wheels on it look like it's going so FAST????? lol

Big thumbs up Joe.

DWMS Racing RD350 Build! New Custom Frame Work Photos!

bluesmokey74 said:
The nickel idea sounds cool but the ends will eventually be welded to the "loop" for the seat, I believe.

That would make sense. It looks like something is going to happen with the ends at some point.

Drewski said:
Inspiring effort here!! 8) Beautiful work!! 8)

Thank You Brother, it is always nice to hear that other talented builders like you enjoy the work that we are doing!

bluesmokey74 said:

Joe, it's really looking nice. How can something with no wheels on it look like it's going so FAST????? lol

Brother I can not wait to see her completed with everything that we have planned as she does look really fast already!

Ringo said:
Big thumbs up Joe.

Thank You Brother, that really means a lot to me coming from the craftsman that built the Gulf Oil bike!

neevo said:
That would make sense. It looks like something is going to happen with the ends at some point.

Brother neevo that is correct, as Brother bluesmokey previously mentioned we are going to weld the loop to the end of the top frame rails. When I designed and built the new side frame rails I left extra length on the end of them where I welded them to the top frame rails as you can see in the photos so that when I build and weld the loop to the end of the frame I can weld the loop to the factory top frame rails and the new side frame rails so that all of the frame rails will be welded together.

The area where the top frame rails, new side frame rails, and the loop all meet is also the area of the frame where I will be mounting the new top shock mounts that I am building. The plan for the shock mounts is to build plates that will be welded over the area where all of the frame rails meet on the outside and inside of the frame on each side of the bike, for each individual shock mounting post I am going to drill through the plates underneath of the frame rails so that I can run each post through the plates and weld them in. Basically the top shock mounts will be box sections on each side of the frame with a post running through them for the shocks to mount to.

I need the fuel tank before I can build the rear loop as I need to know the overall length from the front of the tank to the end of the tail section so that I know how long to make the loop, we have not made a final decision on the tank yet however we do have a general idea of the shape and length that we want and we have some cool ideas for the body work that I think you all will enjoy!

I would like to nominate this build for BOTM!

I know I might be being a trifle premature, but I wanted to be first with the inevitable nomination.

Crazy

I finally scored a nice steel gas tank last weekend and it's on it's way to Brother Joe so that the magic can continue!

Attachments

• gas tank.jpeg
    gas tank.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 287

Joe the straight on side shot of the frame/motor on the last page looks more like sculpture than a motorcycle.. just beautiful man!

Re: DWMS Racing RD350 Build! We Are Building A One Piece Body!

Brother Moto Arts I really appreciate your compliments, hearing kind words like yours always inspires me to keep being creative and to try new ideas! I do not know how I could make it through any of our builds without all of the support of everyone here, I am truly blessed to have such awesome Brothers!

We have been playing with different ideas for the fuel tank and after test fitting the other tank we decided to build a full one piece body that will incorporate the stock fuel tank, the body will be one smooth piece from the front of the tank to the rear of the tail section!

I am going to go ahead and start building the body and now that I know how long it will be I can also go ahead and start finishing the rear frame work and build the top mounts for the rear shocks.

The steel seat pan I build will be welded to the rear of the tank so that I can fully enclose and smooth the area where they join. We are going to utilize the stock front tank mounts and build center and rear mounts that will have rubber dampers between the body and the frame to absorb any vibration.

000_00033_zps060fd6d2.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: WHAT??? A one piece body??? That is going to be b e a utiful!

The bottoms of rd tanks are flat on the sides and thin due 40 forty years of holding fuel dirt rust what ever. ive seen spotless insided tanks get pinhole leaks so be carefull hanging a seat off of it. there often not up to the task of holding fuel much less being the hinge point on a 2foot lever on a bike that shakes like crazy. just somethine to think about , ive welded on every single 350 r5 rd tank ive ever had so becareful

Brother Brad I really appreciate your concern however the way I am planning on mounting the body there will not really be a hinge point or a lever effect, the flat seat pan itself will be steel and it will have several mounting points between it and the frame to absorb all of the weight of the rider so the tank itself will not have any weight on it at all and I am also designing all of the mounting points to have rubber dampers to help absorb vibration. I like to seal the inside of all the tanks we build and will be sealing the inside of this tank with Caswell tank sealer. Basically this is the same design that we use on drag bike bodies I just have to be careful with the mounting and make sure there is no flex where the seat and tank join.

Curious to see how it all turns out,nice work so far

Joey, nice idea mate , I did think of doing this on mine at one stage :)

I think it's a nice idea but the shape will decide if it works In the end maybe ?

I have no idea wot u have planned but I'm sure it will be as awesome as the rest ;)

Nice sharp lines rather than a kinda jelly mold look I think would work well, not to space age with a big swish of curves , it's a hard one mate ???

If your like me we spend far to much time looking an not doing lol

Cheers Joey.
Wayne ;)

How do you get that engine in and out of the frame?

Back
Top Bottom