80HWK - 80 CB400 Hawk Build

Finished most of the wiring to the front end and end up with this :)
P1010064.JPG

Light works, everything still seems to be functioning which is always good!
Went from this:
P1010045.JPG

to this:
P1010062.JPG

Left a few wires out which are for the indicators, neutral and oil pressure lights
Need to get some indicators now :)

So, just fitted some new discs on my Ducati.
I have a disc spare thats not warped and thought it might look good on the Hawk
I'm thinking of a single 320mm with a new 4 pot caliper.
Anyone done it? I know I'll have to make an adapter plate to fit the new 4 pot caliper (of which I've yet to acquire), and maybe the disc will need a spacer or something?
Anyone got a proven recipe before I just get stuck in?

hey bud love the bike, im in mid process of rebuilding an 81 400 hawk, will you be using those side covers. I would love to take them off your hands.

Love the 2-1 on the N. We're stuck with 2-2 in the states. Wish I could source a cheap 2-1 that isn't the mac system.

Its been a while, but I have been working on the bike!
Firstly, I have been ordering a few things off Ebay to finish it all of.
I got a new Danmoto speedo that also has a revcounter etc, it looks a cool piece of kit.
I've modified a spare top clamp to make it into a housing for it
20121105_193700.jpg

Also, sourced a decent seat that I have mounted with an additional flat plate bracket
20121105_193622.jpg

Additionally I have also managed to find an old set of original headers, they are a little rusty, but once wrapped in black header wrap they will be perfect. Also I've fitted a couple of small mufflers, that still need the mountings firmed up a little
20121105_193643.jpg

Today I've just dropped off a heap of parts to the powdercoaters, so hopefully in a weeks time I can finally start the reassembly process and get it looking like a finished article.

Items to do:
finish wiring dash into bike
make a new rear brake pedal (new muffler fouls existing)
Paint guard/tank
Assemble
Ride :)

So here's a big post!
Painted the tank and guard, just a straight gunmetal with a lot of clear over, using standard single pack rubbed back with wet and dry and polished.
Had some logo's computer cut out of vinyl and cleared over them.
DSC_0231.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

Installed the Danmoto guage, easy enough but have some issues with reading the rev's so may need to make a little filter up for the signal. Still need to do the speed sensor too.
Looks neat and I'm pretty happy with it all.
DSC_0213.jpg

Wrapped pipes :)
DSC_0211.jpg

Together!
DSC_0269.jpg

DSC_0261.jpg

The observant may notice the lack of rear brake! Its coming!
DSC_0257.jpg

Pretty happy with the look I think.
DSC_0256.jpg

A little loud with the pipes, but bearable.
DSC_0255.jpg

Will change the master cylinder and the brake lines later on.
DSC_0254.jpg

Love the speedo and triple clamp, one of the best parts of the build I reckon :)
DSC_0253.jpg

Logo looks good, there were issues trying to get enough details in it, due to the accuracy of the vinyl cutting, worked out well though.
DSC_0248.jpg

DSC_0258.jpg

DSC_0269.jpg

So a few items left to do:
Rear brake lever
Speed sensor locating
Bit of mucking around with wiring, general tidy up under seat etc
New Brake lines, ideally a single that splits, just like my Ducati to replace the balance block which is UGLY
Adjusting muffler fit to header, a little on the loose side at the moment. Pack them out a bit with something?
Ride her!

may i ask what size mufflers you have there, i also have the stock headers on mine heat wrapped and without the collector, I wanted to run those mufflers on mine as well because I pulled them off my bike when I first purchased it and they were coming off of the collector, but seem to have fitment issues running them straight off the head pipes. Did you perhaps switch the headers to the opposite side?

Just standard mufflers as per: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=380503426966

Very cool bike! I love the colors!
Sorry you don't have too much love for the bike, not too many people regularly read the "special" section

Hack saw file job? Looks great, must have taken some time!

-MG

SimJen said:
Managed to get a little time to cut out a new bracket, did it by hand to save a bit of money.
Need to adjust the end to suit the curve of the guard, or may adjust the guard at that point to be flatter (probably easier).
Came out pretty good I think for a hacksaw/file job.
P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

The whole bike looks great, congratulations! You've given me some ideas on my CM build, thanks!
-MG

What is the ride position like?
At my limited height (5'5" on a good day) I feel like my boys would be getting destroyed and there would be a lot of weight on my shoulders.

Ride position is very upright for me, although I'm 5'11" and used to a Ducati Superbike!
It feels fine, very comfortable.

So have the bike together.
Had to make a small tacho filter as the signal was a little too noisy to be consistent. Just a piece of Vero board and some caps/resistors.
Spliced it into the yellow wire on the cdi, earth and then final connection to the tach.
DSC_0272.jpg

Managed to get the rear brake lever fitted and working. Had a bit of a corroded brake switch on the front bar which required cleaning up.
Float valves need renewing as it tends to leak petrol all over the floor!
Have ridden the bike now a little bit, jetting is fine up to 6k rpm or so where it suddenly just stops.
I've found a NZ supplier who offers some parts that supposedly do a good job of making the stock carbs work with pods so I will give them a try, also comes with Jets so hopefully will be reasonably close for my needs as they are chosen based on mods.
Still have to make the speedo sensor bracket and get that calibrated by my GPS.
I was hoping to take it in for its Warrant of Fitness and get it legal by Christmas, but at this stage it looks like it won't happen.

Back
Top Bottom