1972 Honda CB 350 project # 1

Aircoolin said:
Thanks man! And hey, have you ever seen that little ball missing? Mine is... I'll have to dig around maybe tomorrow after work.. Is there a place that sell it?

Joey

Missing only after you're not paying attention and it rolls away from you :eek: .. Happened enough times now for me to check it over 4 times before I put it back together.

You'll probably find it after you sweep or in your driveway after the snow melts. ;)

You can get them anywhere like xb33bsa said.

mark13018 said:
Missing only after you're not paying attention and it rolls away from you :eek: .. Happened enough times now for me to check it over 4 times before I put it back together.

You'll probably find it after you sweep or in your driveway after the snow melts. ;)

You can get them anywhere like xb33bsa said.

Hahaha yeah I have had the chance to look yet! I work 12 hour shifts so it's hard to be motivated when I get home :'(

I am however, hoping that it is missing so I know what my problem is with the clutch lever!

Joey

sweet work so far mate ;) wots ya plan for the motor strip down or just clutch n bits always worth looking at ya valves n shit saves havin to go back in later i love the feeling when the new parts start arriving keep going mate soon be rollin 8)

yorkie350 said:
sweet work so far mate ;) wots ya plan for the motor strip down or just clutch n bits always worth looking at ya valves n shit saves havin to go back in later i love the feeling when the new parts start arriving keep going mate soon be rollin 8)
Thanks man!

As far as the motor goes, I need to do a compression check after I adjust the valves! Since this is my first time really working on a bike I'd rather not take the motor apart ;D

If I have to, then I have to!

Got a little bit done after school tonight. New clutch cable and throttle cable. I also found out that I didn't lose the little ball bearing. That's good ;D

And I got all the wiring nice and neat, I think it turned out pretty good. I ending up wrapping the wires in a high heat wrap from autozone lol

Joey

Did a couple little things today, I have too many projects. I try to get a little done on each every day I get the chance!

I switched the regular case crank cover screws, to bolts. Since the screws were pretty much stripped.

Also, when doing the clutch last week the gasket ripped and I had oil leaking everywhere after I added brand new oil :-[
Here's a couple before pics of the gasket

And after

I'm waiting for a new gasket to come in, for now I have a motor flush sitting in the case to clean out any debris.

Joey

No more leak!

So I went to shift my bike and it wouldn't go into gear, is there an adjustment somewhere that I might have screwed up?

Joey

I see you replaced the clutch cable. Some have posted that they have had problems with the Motion Pro clutch cables. Did you set the clutch adjustment correctly? There is a specific order in the way you must adjust. See the owners manual for instructions.

yeah very important to get the cable adjusted correctly but that has zero to do with shifting
back to the issue did you have the clutch off the shaft? if so it is posssible that the mechanism behind the clutch got put out of place specifically the the pawl arm i think it might be called it is the part that rotates the drum

xb33bsa said:
yeah very important to get the cable adjusted correctly but that has zero to do with shifting
back to the issue did you have the clutch off the shaft? if so it is posssible that the mechanism behind the clutch got put out of place specifically the the pawl arm i think it might be called it is the part that rotates the drum

Well I replaced the clutch, so all the plates were off completely. I will have to just dig around and see what I can find. I will post a picture and make sure all is ok.

Joey

It doesn't look like you pulled the clutch basket so it is unlikely that you disturbed the shifting mechanism behind it.
You removed the clutch actuator from the left cover, so you will have to set that up with the clutch adjustment procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it will move but it won't go into any gear. I did mess with the adjustment on the left cover I figured it messed that up...

Joey

nope you cannot mess up the shifting with the clutch adjustement
that is impossible they have nothing to do with each other
have you got the chain on and rocking it back and forth while trying to get the shifter to catch ? does your bike have shifting linkage or direct to the shaft spline with a single lever ?

Really enjoying watching this build come together. I want to do the same DCC seat. Lookin great!

So, one step forward and one step back it seems.

Got the clutch to go through all gears now, xb33bsa you were on to something when you mentioned linkage, because I apparently placed it on upside down last time. So that didn't allow the shifter to move enough lol ::)

So I went to adjust the valves tonight, and I was going by the clymer manual. I got the intake adjusted correctly in about 2 minutes on the left cylinder, so on to the exhaust... The adjusting screw was like stuck in place, nearly impossible to move at all. I got it to move and could just keep rotating the screw if I applied enough pressure.

Something has to be wrong here because the intake would move so freely like I imagined it should, while the exhaust felt like loctite was on it. What am I doing wrong here?

Joey

I'm not sure what your asking.. I lined up the LT with the notch the the manual showed and went from there.

yes LT is where it should be to adjust both intake and exhaust but it needs to be on the compresion stroke
when rotatiing the engine up towards the LT mark feel for the compression with your finger tight over the sparkplug hole,this is a foolproof way to be sured

xb33bsa said:
yes LT is where it should be to adjust both intake and exhaust but it needs to be on the compresion stroke
when rotatiing the engine up towards the LT mark feel for the compression with your finger tight over the sparkplug hole,this is a foolproof way to be sured
So I could have been 360 degrees off? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom