FRANKENHONDA II the 1982 DOHC CB 750F2 Build

wozza said:
@cb250nproject
Can you let me know what paypal slugged you on total cost of the above reg as the aus $ down in the dunny at the moe...if you dont want to post in forum them pm me thanks :)

dude, they're not going to know what a dunny is.....

for our colonial ( and other ) cousins, its a toilet, the great white telephone etc

spotty said:
dude, they're not going to know what a dunny is.....

for our colonial ( and other ) cousins, its a toilet, the great white telephone etc
Hmmm I thought cb250nproject was an aussie...if he isn't then the question I asked is pointless regardless of the colloquialisms lol

oops my bad, he is an aussie , but we have to make allowances for the rest of them

wozza said:
@cb250nproject
Can you let me know what paypal slugged you on total cost of the above reg as the aus $ down in the dunny at the moe...if you dont want to post in forum them pm me thanks :)
$154 . 90 the exchange rate definitely isn’t in our favour

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Tried to draw my wiring diagram it’s missing the speedo wiring but I think I’m getting there ever so slowly

Attachments

• IMG_7037.JPG
    IMG_7037.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_7042.JPG
    IMG_7042.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 198
I just devoured this thread. I love what you're doing and I have a whole bunch of respect for you. You're going about it the proper way and not accepting anything less than you know you are capable of. Keep the faith! This will all be worth it in the end. You will know every bolt and nut on your bike intimately. That's something not many can say.

You've really inspired me.

Avvatar said:
I just devoured this thread. I love what you're doing and I have a whole bunch of respect for you. You're going about it the proper way and not accepting anything less than you know you are capable of. Keep the faith! This will all be worth it in the end. You will know every bolt and nut on your bike intimately. That's something not many can say.

You've really inspired me.

Cheers Avvatar,

welcome, it’s probably getting to be a long thread by now, due to the amount of reworks. It’s been a long journey but hopefully she starts soon.

So Old Man Murphy came through with the goods for the carb adapters, I’ll pick them up tomorrow and hopefully that will solve the clearance issue I was having with the oil delivery line.

I fitted the rear set which helped to identify some items that will need to be sorted; I’ll need to fabricate a bracket to hold the rear brake reservoir. wired in the rear brake switch which I got done today. Also I posted a question about the engine mount spacers on the 750/900/1100 fb page, and one of the guys there noted I had no earth strap from the mount to the battery . This was lucky because I had totally forgotten to do that.

I wired in the speed sensor, speedo, tacho then I wired in the idiot lights

I still have a heap of earths that I’ll need to solder terminal ends to so they all connect up nicely.

I ran my oil sensor, neutral sensor, crank sensor and starter motor wire through behind my chain guard plate, I’m not sure if that’s going to be an issue but I helps hide the wiring as I run it up the frame.

I’ve just run the chain through but it’s nots connected yet I’m going to need to work out how many links it’s supposed to be then chop and join it. Definitely one of those measure twice cut once kind of jobs.

I’m going to need to get brake lines front and back made up as the stock gsxr ones don’t reach not that I have the riser bars on also the rear brake lines will need to be done. In addition to this I will need to replace the front brake pads too.

But no brakes won’t stop it starting ;)

Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get this wiring done and the carbs on I’m not sure if I’ll be able to custom the OEM throttle cables or not to suit he CR carbs have to play it by ear

Attachments

• IMG_7066.JPG
    IMG_7066.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_7065.JPG
    IMG_7065.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_7060.JPG
    IMG_7060.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 198
  • IMG_7056.JPG
    IMG_7056.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 189
  • 76B703A2-0A91-4AD7-AE3F-BACEF74D4F70.jpg
    76B703A2-0A91-4AD7-AE3F-BACEF74D4F70.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 189
  • e90a5966-0e71-4555-9d00-33da53bcf11b.jpg
    e90a5966-0e71-4555-9d00-33da53bcf11b.jpg
    866.4 KB · Views: 193
Hey Phillip, I just got brake lines made for my bike from au.helperformance.com, they are a great site and it only took three days until I had them in my hand, would definitely recommend them.

Are you sure that you want those wires down there so close to the chain? I'd think about keeping them clean and safe.

Pete12 said:
Hey Phillip, I just got brake lines made for my bike from au.helperformance.com, they are a great site and it only took three days until I had them in my hand, would definitely recommend them.

Cheers Pete I’ll have to look into that

teazer said:
Are you sure that you want those wires down there so close to the chain? I'd think about keeping them clean and safe.

teazer said:

I ended up rerouting the wires, I thought it would be a little sketchy, but I did tell myself function over form on this build

So I connected the battery, I’m a little perplexed now so I used the RFID key everything turned on, so that was a win.

I have the m unit set up for a single wire brake light so the rear park light came on.

I then tried the head light which worked and when I pushed the same button again the high beam came on and the corresponding light on my idiot lights came on.

I then tried the horn that worked, then I tried the left and right indicators, both handle bar indicators and the corresponding lights on my idiot light came on but the rear LED indicators wouldn’t come on.

The rear LED has wires for earth, left indicator wire , right indicator wire and I’ve bridged the wires together for the parker and brake as I’m running single wire brake and parker on the m unit. These each run into the corresponding outputs on the m unit but none of them work. Even when I take out the other wires feeding the front indicators and idiot lights and just have the rear indicator wires in place nothing works.

I’ve run a current through the tail light and the indicators all function. I know the handle bar button works as it activates everything else, which also means the output for the m unit is functioning.

Then the headlights stopped functioning, but the idiot light which tells me the hi beam is on is functioning when I push the button down which means the signal is going from the button to the m unit then to the output as it’s the same output that feeds the headlights

Then when I hit my brake rear the speedo lights up which I have running out of one of the auxiliary out puts they are not even connected and all of the handle bar controls run to the m button.

The only thing I don’t have connected is my starter motor at the moment.

The oil light is on but I’m assuming that’s because the motor is on. So losing the current battle on the electrical side (no pun intended)

On a positive note my brother got the tank decals done and put them on for me which came out really good.

Also OMM gave me the carbs and adapters back, but that will be a tomorrow job, along with trying to but out how I’ve messed this wiring up so badly.

Attachments

• IMG_7090.JPG
    IMG_7090.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG_7097.JPG
    IMG_7097.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 187
  • IMG_7095.JPG
    IMG_7095.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 189
  • IMG_7091.JPG
    IMG_7091.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_7084.JPG
    IMG_7084.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_7077.JPG
    IMG_7077.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 196
  • IMG_7100.JPG
    IMG_7100.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_7098.JPG
    IMG_7098.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 190
Well after a visit from Dave from Keband Custom Parts we discovered all my problems originated from a dodgy earth.

Thankfully other than me feeling a little silly we didn’t need to unwrap the loom.

After that I then changed the front brake pads and brake lines. Unfortunately the ones I had made up for my rear brake were a little too long, tomorrow I’ll have them shorten it and put a different fitting on.

I picked up a new reservoir for the rear brake now I just need to sort a mounting bracket for it. I ended up getting fuel line I was going to use for the reservoir to the piston but I’m not sure if that is ok for brake fluid, the guy at the parts store couldn’t give me a straight answer.

I’m having some issues putting the carbs into their boots they are proving to be even more stubborn than my wife.

Attachments

• IMG_7115.JPG
    IMG_7115.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_7116.JPG
    IMG_7116.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 187
  • IMG_7118.JPG
    IMG_7118.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 177
"I’m having some issues putting the carbs into their boots they are proving to be even more stubborn than my wife. "
Heat gun until bath water (or a little more) warm helps a ton. A little silicone grease, and a ratchet strap around the front of the engine to help give even pressure on all carbs.

Looking good man, nice job on hunting down that electrical gremlin. Those bastards are, well, bastards.

+1 on heating up the rubber boots - it really makes popping the carbs in a lot easier. Bit of lube (I used wd40) also helps, and I have a steel flat bar that helps to lever them in - heat the boots up enough (I use the wife's hairdryer) though and you shouldn't need it.

Copy that, well it would appear that I’m not the only one that’s had difficulty with these boots.

I’m thinking if I clean out the ultrasonic cleaner then just use the heater only and soak the boots in there till they are nice and toasty then try this all over again.

Ironically in true Murphy style I did push it on properly one time, but as I stood back in admiration of what I had just accomplished I realised that I had forgotten one of the clamps .... so it all had to come off again

Jimbonaut I’m in total agreement electrical is trying at best I was pretty comical yesterday, when David dropped by to help I reckon it took me longer to explain what was happening than to fix it. All the same I’m glad we didn’t need to pull the loom apart

So apparently 40c is the magic temp to get the carbs on they look the part, and the adapters OMM made up give about 5 mm clearance for that oil delivery line.

The accelerator cables will need to be shortened to hook up with the CR’s

Hopefully tomorrow I’ll wire up the starter Solenoid then maybe give her a start.

I checked the two jets I think I have 110 main and 240 pilot is it? I have no idea if that’s anything near what I need, find out tomorrow.

Attachments

• 4E979C4F-95FA-43B9-B8F3-6879FFCD652F.jpg
    4E979C4F-95FA-43B9-B8F3-6879FFCD652F.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 190
  • 63D20A0A-D593-4C57-A894-A2C3FECFEA4D.jpg
    63D20A0A-D593-4C57-A894-A2C3FECFEA4D.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 185
Back
Top Bottom