Arrow fairing on CB750 mounting advice

jeffcampagna

Hey everyone.

Another year. Another shed build. I picked up a 76 CB750 in pretty decent condition and just recently imported an Arrow fairing form Japan for it. I've got some experience with these old CBs, but I've never personally installed a fairing so I was hoping all you kind folks could throw some advice at me regarding the best ways to mount something like this.

I know the basics between fixed vs. non-fixed mounting. This obviously has to be fixed so it doesn't rotate when turning.

Any guidance on how to mount the fairing to the bike, smaller headlight to the fairing etc... would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4489.JPG
    IMG_4489.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_4493.JPG
    IMG_4493.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 594
  • GOODS-ARROW-Cowling-_57.jpg
    GOODS-ARROW-Cowling-_57.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 605
Hey slikwilli420

It's not a Rickman. Rickman's tend to have a wider, blunter nose. This has more of a bullet or arrow shaped nose, which is what I was after cause I tend to dislike those fairings that look almost square from the front. I imported it off of WeBike form Japan.

I think you're going to need a combination of a Rickman-style front mount and GP-style rear mounts to hold the fairing in place.
I've attached a photo of the Rickman, for use with a headlight - it has a loop for your headlamp to bolt to. You usually ditch the stock fork headlight ears and by the look of your fairing, clip-ons will be required. The stub mount gets welded on the headstock of the frame but I've seen versions that have a bolt on post. Your headlight doesn't turn with the forks anymore, but not a problem unless you're going really, really slow (your forks don't move much when you're riding, right?)
The next photo shows a GP mounting system. At the end of the ears - ie, the end of the fairing where the windscreen ends - you're going to need some sort of stabilizer cross bar that bolts to the frame or the windscreen and /or fairing will crack in short order.
The third photo shows a Meadspeed CR750 mounting system, which might give you more ideas but not suited for a headlight. Some mounting systems have a steel tubing loop which follows the contours of the inner fairing around the windscreen mount, but that might be a more difficult fabricating task than you care to attempt.
At the end of the fairing towards your knees, a cross bar into the frame will be required. Rubber mounting everything is a good idea.
Hope this helps.
Pat
Pat

Attachments

• CR750 Meadspead fairing bracket kit.jpg
    CR750 Meadspead fairing bracket kit.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 661
  • rickman fairing mounts.jpg
    rickman fairing mounts.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 659
  • Fairing mounts GP unknown mfg.jpg
    Fairing mounts GP unknown mfg.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 266
Hey Pat

Thanks so much for all the information and pictures. It helps a lot. Yeah, I've got some nice CNC clipons and a couple headlights on order that should fit the 6.5 inch headlight opening. That Rickman mount seems like it could work, I'll start looking out for one.

Otherwise, it gives me a great starting point to fabricate something up.

Instead of welding to the steering head, I've seen guys bolt the mounting bar to the flat metal area just behind the steering head. Might try that as well, cause I'm not much of a welder.

Back
Top Bottom