HollywoodMX's xv920/TR1 Cafe super-dupe!

claytonisbob said:
Damn, that does look pretty slick. 700lbs may be a bit stiff, but at least it should be easy to find springs to swap.

Woops my bad, some bad research late last night. I looked at the GXR spring rate and its 525lbs/in stock, so the speed couldn't be 700 so I looked harder at the speed triple and its 481lbs/in spring. I must have misread someone's race spring swap for 700. Funny enough the progressive spring for the xv is 600lbs

The front GXR forks are 560/bs/in. I'm a 170lb rider with gear, I'm not a suspension expert but I'm thinking I will be ok, worst case I find a stiffer rear spring. I was actually preferring the gsxr 600 forks due to the lower front spring rate but oh well it think it's close enough now, maybe I will take some oil out of the forks.

I am also using a Triumph rear shock on my XV Hollywood, however I am using a Daytona model shock, but essentially looks exactly the same.

Re: Re: HollywoodMX's xv920/TR1 Cafe super-dupe!

stidds said:
I am also using a Triumph rear shock on my XV Hollywood, however I am using a Daytona model shock, but essentially looks exactly the same.

Really? What made you go with that shock? How is it working out? Do you have a build thread?

Hey I was looking for feedback from people deciding between clip on's or handle bars. I like the clip on looks but I like the handle bar comfort. I have a set of clubmans but it dont like the sweep at that point I prefer clip on's. I was thinking more of a super bike bar if I was to go handlebars.

I used the Daytona T595/955i shock as the shock rate is similar to the XV750 and as you have stated the shock length is similar. Also I picked one up from a local breakers in the UK for £15 ($25), so an added bonus ;) ;D .

As for bars, I am using clip ons, I am not a fan of clubmans really, I like the clean look of clipons.

What I have done for comfort (I am getting old now and the back hurts like hell somedays), is internally drop the front forks 1 inch and then I have dropped the forks through the triple clamps another inch and put the bars on top of the triple trees.

I will find a picture of it for you.

stidds said:
I used the Daytona T595/955i shock as the shock rate is similar to the XV750 and as you have stated the shock length is similar. Also I picked one up from a local breakers in the UK for £15 ($25), so an added bonus ;) ;D .

As for bars, I am using clip ons, I am not a fan of clubmans really, I like the clean look of clipons.

What I have done for comfort (I am getting old now and the back hurts like hell somedays), is internally drop the front forks 1 inch and then I have dropped the forks through the triple clamps another inch and put the bars on top of the triple trees.

I will find a picture of it for you.

Ya find a picture! In thread here I did the same as you with the clip on's on top. But that only works with the stock or vintage forks. With a most newer modern fork swaps that is not an option. You need all the fork length you can get due to shorter forks and smaller tire diameters than stock. I can get adjustable clip on's that are higher I have that on my kz but they still not as high as handlebars.

Wheels came in. Wholly Fawk! They are bad ass! It's like super trick spoke like wheels!

The other goodies related to the wheels are waiting to be shipped. Driven had to make my sprocket and waiting on the Marchesini valve stems.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386899205846.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386899205846.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 3,231
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386899240812.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386899240812.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 3,140
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386899258883.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386899258883.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 3,200
HollywoodMX;
Thanks for the tip on the shock, looks like a winner, especially as you and Stidds, came to the same conclusion independently, almost a double blind thing. I think I'll be using a front end from a '99 Suzuki Bandit. Not as high tech as your USD forks but a huge step up from the '82 Yamaha originals.

Those are beautiful wheels, they look very light as well, how do they compare to the stock wheels?

Having spent the past 40+ years playing speciality shox [ replica Cobra, Jag and Porsche ] - and since I retired, naturally my bike projects - PLEASE be aware of any fulcrum / bellcranks from donor bikes when "guesstimating" any shocker swaps. The dampening aspect of the shocker will no doubt be in the ballpark, but spring rates are another matter. Fortunately easy to swap out.

Here's one I made earlier............. specially developed with RAM [ www.ramshox.com ] for my Vindicator Cafer Racer.

Greenducky55 said:
Great build man those wheels should match real good I'll be keeping my eye on this one want to build an xv at somepoint

Thanks man. The goal is ready for spring and I don't see that being an issue at all. Specially if I have time between contracts.

rundown said:
HollywoodMX;
Thanks for the tip on the shock, looks like a winner, especially as you and Stidds, came to the same conclusion independently, almost a double blind thing. I think I'll be using a front end from a '99 Suzuki Bandit. Not as high tech as your USD forks but a huge step up from the '82 Yamaha originals.

Those are beautiful wheels, they look very light as well, how do they compare to the stock wheels?

Ya i still have to install it though but I'm thinking it won't be an issue. Ya its pretty funny stidds and found the same thing!

Ya don't think that new modern suspension is always better. Older stuff like that 99 will likely have longer steering stem and longer forks making the swap easier and give you more ride height.

HollywoodMX said:
Ya its pretty funny stidds and found the same thing!

Especially when you consider there is 4300 miles between us (Calgary, CA & Bristol, UK)

Sorry if I missed it, but did that seat come from Dime City? Im looking for a seat like that possibly for my next build.

BTW, great looking bike so far! Sounds great too!!!

teddpage said:
Sorry if I missed it, but did that seat come from Dime City? Im looking for a seat like that possibly for my next build.

BTW, great looking bike so far! Sounds great too!!!

Ya it's a dcc seat. I do have a slight gripe with it though. The quality of the brown material is less than what I expected. Its a matte look. A glossy brown vinyl would have been much better. When you look at the black version, it looks better cause it is that glossy vinyl.

I'm hoping I can do some kind of treatment to the seat to add some sheen.

Great thanx for the reply! Motollana seats are impossible to come by and the one that DCC offers is very similar by the look of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

rundown said:
HollywoodMX;

I decided to take a break on the building this weekend focusing on research and parts buying and parts receiving. I have a week off coming up around xmas so I will get a bunch of progress then.

Rundown, I meant to gather this information for you.

2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000

Weight: front: 10.28 lbs.; rear: 16.80 lbs.
Moment of Inertia: front: 480 lb. in2; rear: 880 lb. in2
Among the highest weight and MoI measurements in the test (uhh, no surprise there), the stock cast-aluminum Suzuki wheels have a cush drive that is much more substantial than any of the aftermarket units.

RK FORGED Aluminum wheels;

MANUFACTURER CLAIMED WEIGHTS

3.5" x 17" Front: 7.94lbs (3600g)
6.0" x 17" Rear: 12.3 lbs (5570g)

Click here learn more about weight savings.. and see how only 1ounce of weight on a 17" wheel at 100mph = 25 lbs of rotating mass.

http://www.hardracing.com/Rims/WheelWeightInfo.htm

The pup is doing a good job guarding the wheels in the mean time. :)

ebavyta2.jpg

teddpage said:
Great thanx for the reply! Motollana seats are impossible to come by and the one that DCC offers is very similar by the look of it.

I wouldn't say Motolanna seats are impossible to come by, I ordered one from them about 2 months ago and they shipped it to me in the UK within 2 days and it arrived within 10 days.

Not impossible at all.

No shit...Every time I check theyre out of stock...thanx for the tip!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

Hey I think those motolanna seats are pretty close to dcc. Except I paid quite a bit more yet the material on the motolanna looks higher quality..

Santa was doing some delivering today. Steering stem bearings and steering stabilizer.

I also got some custom bungs being made for some more custom work. I have solved the problem with the stock rear set holders pieces and making new rear set and exhaust mount plates that everyone hates.

A set of aftermarket r1 rear sets I already have will take the place of stock.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387336989691.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387336989691.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,930
Back
Top Bottom