82 Honda CB900C chop/racer

djmaynard said:
So I finally got all the replacement parts for the cam chain tensioner... Well I thought so, I pulled off the loctite and found a damn screw soldered in where the screw is supposed to be.

Whoa, so after digging that out, I pulled of the plate so I could find top dead center, no problem. Now I can get the opening large enough to get my new proper screw in, no matter how many times I turn it.

Help?
Pics would help, i dont understand your problem? Is the screw not locating? If so its not the correct size. Hondas are Metric, most of what you would find in a typical american hardware store is imperial.

Datadavid, I will try to get pics tomorrow, I didn't proof read my rant, I couldn't get the correct screw into the smaller opening. Wasn't sure if I could push something to get further into the hole.
Again, I'll get pics tomorrow.

Alright, tough shot to take, but got a picture of the hole and the screw that I am to get in there. How???
135a945d97ff9278e540cf1331f36a3f.jpg

f40a91199713602c0c5512cb71424771.jpg

Those threads look fubar. Does it not start threading or drop right through? You may need to get the right size tap and clean out the threads, or find a bolt the same size and cut a slot on either side to make your own tap.

Yeah the threads had loctite and solder left overs. Might have to take the tank off. Suggestion from a fellow friend.

What do you mean by "tap"? This would be my first attempt at something like this. It doesn't start threading.

Are you sure the part you've got there is correct? It's hard to tell but looks a bit different in the parts fiche...but as long as you've lined the numbers up. Only issue with tapping that hole is that metal shavings will find their way into the engine somewhere no telling where they will end up or if they will cause any havoc in there. Maybe tap, install, run for a few minutes to cycle it through and flush the oil when you're all done

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I went to the sight you had suggested and they were all out but had a "similar" bolt they said.... Wrong part. I called 3 more spots and couldn't find it. Not sure of the dimensions either.
Part is-BOLT 90021-469-000

For sure was going to flush the oil. Pretty black.

djmaynard said:
I went to the sight you had suggested and they were all out but had a "similar" bolt they said.... Wrong part. I called 3 more spots and couldn't find it. Not sure of the dimensions either.
Part is-BOLT 90021-469-000

For sure was going to flush the oil. Pretty black.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182225483667

Looks like pickings are slim on eBay, but that part you have doesn't look right. You may be better off having something machined if you can find the specs

That's funny timing. I just came across the same part. Weird my searches didn't come up with that, when I searched for cb750 bolt it popped right up.
$13 for the bolt and $23 to ship and 2 weeks to get here. Hope it's faster, I'm chomping at the bit to ride!!!

Sucks that it's that expensive, really makes you shake your head when parts like that are just 'missing'

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Just found this, sorry. You seem to have the bolt sorted now, but that thread is cactus. It's a common problem with these motors as the bolt is over-tightened and the thread gets stripped. A pain in the arse to repair considering it's size. You'll have to drill it out for a new helicoil. Problem will be getting access with the motor in the frame. I've only done them when the motors are out, but guys have done them insitu. Just gotta watch you catch all the swarf.

My guess would be the PO couldn't be fagged to do it properly because it's such a pain.

Bikeboy, funny you mention that. I finally got the bolt that I was waiting for and the PO had stripped it out and the bolt wouldn't fit. I work with numerous parts and found one that got in the hole. I have no idea if it actually puts tension on the camshaft chain but it's running for now. I think that I'm just praying that it keeps it going.

How else can I repair it?

djmaynard said:
That's funny timing. I just came across the same part. Weird my searches didn't come up with that, when I searched for cb750 bolt it popped right up.
$13 for the bolt and $23 to ship and 2 weeks to get here. Hope it's faster, I'm chomping at the bit to ride!!!

Same bolt was used in all the DOHC motors, from the 750 to the CBX. Oddly, the -469- part of your code is for the '80 CBX, but they usually use the model the part was first used on, which was probably a '79 CBX (422)? Anyway, looks like you're sorted ;-)

bikeboy said:
Same bolt was used in all the DOHC motors, from the 750 to the CBX. Oddly, the -469- part of your code is for the '80 CBX, but they usually use the model the part was first used on, which was probably a '79 CBX (422)? Anyway, looks like you're sorted ;-)
Still would rather use stock bolts. I'll check out that 422 bolt see if perhaps it fits better.

Today's project was that I was going to take off and replace my air compression shocks and replace with coil springs. Mainly for looks not for comfort.

Anything I should be forewarned of anything?

Back
Top Bottom