1978 Yamaha XS650

Yeah definitely will. Gotta get my lights and all the legal stuff figured out but I will be riding it before then.

Finally got her running pretty well. Took out the starter relay so its a kick only and eventually plan to get the starter delete plate. As for now its mostly cosmetically done I gotta put my lights on and a few finishing touches. As for now I am just gonna ride the shit out of it in the neighborhood.

Getting closer to being done. Put my tail light on tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_20120828_200907.jpg
    IMG_20120828_200907.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 219
Also got a nice little package in the mail today. New clutch cable, throttle cable ,caliper rebuild kit, teach block off cap, two speed bleeders and two iridium plugs.

Attachments

• IMG_20120829_232552.jpg
    IMG_20120829_232552.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 209
Took the day going through the bike checking to make sure everything is tight. I put on my new cables and tuned the carbs so it runs really well now. Put my Lowbrow customs tach plug in Still have a few things to do but I'm sure I always will. Now that I can finally ride it and get some satisfaction I will start going back through the wiring to make it how I want it. Oh and those of you building an xs650 I would recommend not buying a MAC pipe. Its starting to rust all over when I keep it inside and it just is not made very well. However I do love that cycle exchange slip on muffler.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFdBFU9Gdo0&feature=plcp

Re: 1978 Yamaha XS650

I originally got the chrome 2 to 1 on mikesxs but it rusted in 3 months. They let me return it twice for this same reason. Finally I got the stainless headers and the commando exhaust and i'm happy

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Just got these Mikunis in the mail. I'm gonna get on it so I can have the bike running great for Barber.

Attachments

• IMG_20121007_210415.jpg
    IMG_20121007_210415.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 228
  • IMG_20121007_215057.jpg
    IMG_20121007_215057.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 219
Well I ordered the set from alphamoto.com and they came jetted for an xs650 that is stock or slightly modified. Not sure of the jetting I was just going to fire it up tomorrow and see how it runs and make changes as needed. If you have any suggestions that'd be awesome. Dont really like how the choke works of the right carb because it is hard to get to but I think I have a solution.

If you can please post on what you do with the choke as mine are the same and dont know have any ideas !

Yeah I can do that when I figure it out. Any help on how to get my 2-1 throttle cable installed would helpful. Never put one on that I had to cut to length and solder.

Re: 1978 Yamaha XS650

I have the same setup, i manually turn on and shut them off one at a time. The clutch side i have a on off mounted and the other side is stock like below

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-p1iabGoU3Is/ToKDjsSlCjI/AAAAAAAAB-I/9Jng987szhs/s1600/3.JPG

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ok, for the right side carb, you need to get a 'plunger' choke mechanism for it. It just replaces the lever mechanism with a simple knob you pull up.

It's not really a choke per-se, as there is no butterfly. It's an enrichment circuit - they call it the starter circuit but everyone of course still calls it a choke. The plunger kit is $10 or so.

You already have the proper right-side carb body, which is why the idle adjustment screw is on the opposite side of the left carb body. Many people end up getting two left side carbs which makes adjusting your idle a pain. Sadly the air screw on the left carb is still on the inside, but it's easy to reach with a long screw driver.

I'll dig out my jetting. You probably have a 25 main, 180/190 pilot, 2.5 slide. Can't recall the needle or needle jet specs. There is an 'air jet' which goes in the air intake bell. On my jetting it is removed.

Tim Thanks for the suggestions. As for the jetting I do remember the main being a 180 when I took the bowl off but I cant remember the pilot. I think for now Im gonna focus on getting everything hooked up and running and then go the plunger choke.

Sbaugz - The pipe is just a mac 2-1 and the muffler is from cyclexchange.

Cut and painted my front fender to match my tank

Attachments

• IMG_20121017_171113.jpg
    IMG_20121017_171113.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20121016_173300.jpg
    IMG_20121016_173300.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 222
The bike looks awesome with the fender like that. How did you cut it to get nice edges like that? Cutoff wheel?

Back
Top Bottom