FRANKENHONDA II the 1982 DOHC CB 750F2 Build

The Jimbonaut said:
Dude you owe your wife a posh dinner - that seat came out great

+1 on that, it looks awesome. Upholstery is the only part I farm out on my bikes, sure wish I (or my wife) knew how to do it.

If you've got your tank dents very close you might just want to try some high-build primer on them. Much easier to sand than filler and with it all being the same material it's very easy to shape it correctly. I would, however, be a little concerned about the etch primer behaving that way, something not right there. They don't look like humidity blisters though...

Edit: sorry, half asleep last night. Etch primer should be just a light coat sprayed over the whole surface, you need to use normal primer from here on in.

The seat and your wife's upholstery look fantastic together.

I wonder if with your east-west dent if you use a block which is longer than the sand paper so the the block can reach the far side of the dent before the paper starts to cut that this might stop you from making the filler too low. I'm not the best bodyman so I could be off here, just an idea.

Pete12 said:
+1 on that, it looks awesome. Upholstery is the only part I farm out on my bikes, sure wish I (or my wife) knew how to do it.

If you've got your tank dents very close you might just want to try some high-build primer on them. Much easier to sand than filler and with it all being the same material it's very easy to shape it correctly. I would, however, be a little concerned about the etch primer behaving that way, something not right there. They don't look like humidity blisters though...

Edit: sorry, half asleep last night. Etch primer should be just a light coat sprayed over the whole surface, you need to use normal primer from here on in.

I hit it with some light sanding, cleaned the area, prepped it with wax and grease remover let it sit. Then I hit it with the etch primer then it came up good, go figure.

I masked up the two other areas of concern, including my east west dent and then hit it with coat after coat of spray filler.

But spraying has had to take a break burgers with the wifey and vaccinations for jnr, just in a waiting room now.. poor little bugger is in ignorant bliss unaware of what’s about to occurs.. I’m thinking tears

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_1516.JPG
    IMG_1516.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 223
  • IMG_1518.JPG
    IMG_1518.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1517.JPG
    IMG_1517.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1519.JPG
    IMG_1519.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1520.JPG
    IMG_1520.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 223
Yep, I'm thinking tears too.

Just a question, why did you mask the repair areas? You'll have a big ridge that you'll need to sand off flat afterwards. Not a problem at all, just more work for you.

Well my mask and spray filler attempt was poor at best. I think there was not enough time left in between coats, this caused it to laminate.

Bit of a catastrophe resulting in me having to take it all the way back and in the process I’m pretty sure I took even more off the east west dent. I then used normal filler to build it up and pretty much got back to the place I started from kid of like catching a bus on a round about and getting off where you got on.

I even used a long block hoping it would be touching both high sides of the tank so as not to sand the filler too low, but somehow I managed to do it.

The little dent I’ve managed to save so that’s one less thing to deal with. Tomorrow I’ll wake early and try to spray the filler a little at a time see how I go with the notorious east west dent.

I used some spray adhesive to stick the Velcro to the underside of the seat pan, but I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to try it with the upholstery on.

See how it all goes tomorrow hopefully she all comes together in the morning otherwise I’ll have to call off spraying it until next break

Attachments

• Image1525778366.303924.jpg
    Image1525778366.303924.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 209
  • Image1525778315.915706.jpg
    Image1525778315.915706.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 206
  • Image1525778141.549450.jpg
    Image1525778141.549450.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 241
  • Image1525777883.299024.jpg
    Image1525777883.299024.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 209
  • Image1525777865.898616.jpg
    Image1525777865.898616.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 261
Pete12 said:
Yep, I'm thinking tears too.

Just a question, why did you mask the repair areas? You'll have a big ridge that you'll need to sand off flat afterwards. Not a problem at all, just more work for you.
In hindsight, I probably should have just sprayed without it why is it that these things are so clear in hindsight?

you can drill the corners of the velcro and rivet them down to help hold it in place and prevent it peeling up over time.

cb250nproject said:
In hindsight, I probably should have just sprayed without it why is it that these things are so clear in hindsight?

Haha, everything is clear in hindsight.
You should put your spray putty over the primer, and in very light coats with plenty of drying time in between. I think you're better off with primer/filler, or high build primer, if you can get some tomorrow, and lay that on once your dents are close.

I usually get it close with bondo/filler, then use a little spot putty/glazing compound if there are pinholes etc, then sand that out then finish with high build filler primer and can usually get it spot on. That is when it's for someone else, when it's for myself I give up at "that's good enough" LOL.

Maritime said:
I usually get it close with bondo/filler, then use a little spot putty/glazing compound if there are pinholes etc, then sand that out then finish with high build filler primer and can usually get it spot on. That is when it's for someone else, when it's for myself I give up at "that's good enough" LOL.

I’m starting to get fairly close to that’s good enough

Maritime said:
you can drill the corners of the velcro and rivet them down to help hold it in place and prevent it peeling up over time.

I think I’ll run with that rivet idea, as it will definitely come up over time

Well I riveted along the Velcro, then put the leather on and had to cut and rivet the corners that the Velcro wouldn’t get.

I started using washers but ran out, it’s not pretty.

I’ve just placed it on the seat cowl for the photos so it’s not secured on yet. We probably won’t be taking out any upholstery awards but I’m pretty dam happy with the wifeys handy work. She’s an absolute superstar.

I can guarantee that it would have not at all looked like that had I attempted to do it.

So it’s back to the dreaded east west dent all the others are sorted.

I think I will pack up all my stuff and head over to the old mans and try to repair it there, if I have a win and the weather is good we can spray if not back home I go and the job will be on hold until I return from work.

Attachments

• Image1525823528.078361.jpg
    Image1525823528.078361.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 208
  • Image1525823513.384431.jpg
    Image1525823513.384431.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 235
  • Image1525823495.632223.jpg
    Image1525823495.632223.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 250
  • Image1525823477.115170.jpg
    Image1525823477.115170.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 209
  • Image1525823434.648766.jpg
    Image1525823434.648766.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 210
  • Image1525823394.030333.jpg
    Image1525823394.030333.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 247
I love your work and perseverance!

I'm no means an expert, but I have successfully done some rattle can painting. I think etch primer goes on bare metal to chemically etch it for adhesion. I think it's an acid that creates the etch and I don't know how this would work in layers. I think it's etch primer to the metal and then regular primer after that.

For body work, I don't rely on my eyes but on my hands. When I get close, I close my eyes and try to "feel" the dent. If I can't feel it, I stop sanding immediately regardless of what it looks like. I repaired several dents in a car fender like this and then painted it dark red. You couldn't see any remnants of the repair.

Again, love your work and progress. It's going to look great when you're done!

Your seat looks absolutely killer I love the lines that look sewn into it. I'll have to look more closely at your thread, but I'm interested in knowing how you got that affect it's absolutely beautiful. I'd like to do the same thing on the project I'm working on. I'd love to get that effect. Again .... that's beautiful! Great job.

Markie-V said:
Your seat looks absolutely killer I love the lines that look sewn into it. I'll have to look more closely at your thread, but I'm interested in knowing how you got that affect it's absolutely beautiful. I'd like to do the same thing on the project I'm working on. I'd love to get that effect. Again .... that's beautiful! Great job.

Thanks Markie, do you mean the rippled effect/ humps in the leather ?

So this is what the east west dent looked like,

So after I put some dianese leather treatment cream onto the upholstery I packed up ship and headed to the old mans.

I had a funny feeling things were not going to come together how I wanted today. I was late away this morning, a major arterial through the city, causing me to take a “short cut” through the city where there was a protest going on. Making a 45 minute trip into a 2.5 hr trip.

After arriving I once again sanded the tank back then put some filler on, in my eagerness to make up for the hour wasted I began sanding too early. The filler was not yet fully cured making it come off in chunks, so once again I sanded it all back

Then I followed the advice from jpmobius and used a 240 grit paper instead of 600, then PDub I used my finger to feel her out once she felt good I hit it with the primer and boooom

I felt as if I had cracked the Da Vinci code, unfortunately by this time it was late afternoon, the winds had picked up and the grey clouds began to come in so we called off spraying. No point to rush it and stuff t up now.

I’ve left the tank and seat at my old mans and when the weather is right he will have a crack at it.

At least this way it will be fully cured before we go and install the decals my brother made.

Tomorrow will probably be taken up by me cleaning the shed up enough that we can park a car in it again.

Attachments

• Image1525858663.250202.jpg
    Image1525858663.250202.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1570.JPG
    IMG_1570.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1568.JPG
    IMG_1568.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG_1567.JPG
    IMG_1567.JPG