My 1970 CB350K Winter project

23Maple

I guess I should introduce myself and my project.

A while back a cb350k came up for only 300, complete, with a clean title. Downside was it hasn't ran in like 35 or 40 years.
d22f4cc85b5606b8c85e5a78ac51a3d3.jpg

This is the best image to start. They get worse from here.
d02edbe87f02e05a96a09f01eb83a199.jpg

f4bbd3a6ebbe6f7334d891aabdc6ec3e.jpg

277ca23056a43a8ae5b3d52276b463b8.jpg

5c7474e4fff4ab684dd08e7a53d3b3fe.jpg

13aa05fb2849ee723f480b3d7f5a8118.jpg

Oh, and I've never even ridden a motorcycle. I do have some mechanical experience, I do most of the simple maintenence and modifications on my cars.

I took on this project as a therapeutic winter project, a creative outlet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using DO THE TON mobile app

I've no idea.

That is on the agenda to figure out.

Hopefully not, but if it is, I guess I've an excuse to bore it out a little, if neccessary- I'd prefer not to, of course, that's budget that could go other places.

Of course now I've got the engine out of the frame, unsure how to test for that.

It would have been easier to evaluate the motor while it was in the frame, but it's too late now. I'd put it up on a stand and open the generator side up, you can manually turn the motor with a socket on the crank from that side. Chances are it will be stuck, I would try a 50/50 ATF and acetone cocktail into the spark plug holes and see if it frees up after a few days. You'll want to heat the block up with a lamp before draining the oil.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

great project is there any signs of rust up top ?
dont turn the engine over with the head nuts off you stand a very good chance of breaking the seal on the cylinder base gasket as well as the head gasket
if you want to keep the bike and have good service from it probably should pull down the top end the rings are likely stuck and the bore will have some rust
plus the time is now to get a ka cam chain tensioner
there is very lilkely some rusty valve seats as well

xb33bsa- Internally I saw no evidence of rust, it looked great. The exterior aluminium is well patina'd but is cleaning up nicely- I'd like to get it blasted and polished up a bit. *Most* of the exterior screws are coming lose with an impact wrench, but I'll have to use an extractor on a few (well, hopefully that does it, I suppose I might also have to drill out and re-thread, but I'd prefer not to.)

I'd feel awfully silly if I turned it upside down without resecuring the head. I can see that's how the topend stacks up.
I'd originally planned on a complete rebuild, but am pleasantly surprised at how well the internals seem to have kept so far- no rust visible and everything even seems to still have a light coat of protective oil to it inside.

Is it advisable (I think it sounds so) to retorque back the head to factory specs and do a compression test *before* I begin full disassembly? Provided it's got good compression and no obvious rusty internals, what other engine parts are considered wear parts and good to replace while I've got it apart? (other than all the gaskets)

This is the first I've heard of this ka cam chain tensioner- I suppose the cam guides are a weak link in this engine if you're mentioning it?

I ask because in googling it sounds like you've got to use a certain timing chain with it, which I would think would require splitting the bottom cases- not that that's a big issue, I plan on it anyways.

I'll be sure to research the valve seats when I've got it apart.

Thank you for your input! I'm a motorcycle beginner, but so far it seems fairly logical in it's organization. ;)

23Maple said:
xb33bsa- Internally I saw no evidence of rust, it looked great. The exterior aluminium is well patina'd but is cleaning up nicely- I'd like to get it blasted and polished up a bit. *Most* of the exterior screws are coming lose with an impact wrench, but I'll have to use an extractor on a few (well, hopefully that does it, I suppose I might also have to drill out and re-thread, but I'd prefer not to.)

I'd feel awfully silly if I turned it upside down without resecuring the head. I can see that's how the topend stacks up.
I'd originally planned on a complete rebuild, but am pleasantly surprised at how well the internals seem to have kept so far- no rust visible and everything even seems to still have a light coat of protective oil to it inside.

Is it advisable (I think it sounds so) to retorque back the head to factory specs and do a compression test *before* I begin full disassembly? Provided it's got good compression and no obvious rusty internals, what other engine parts are considered wear parts and good to replace while I've got it apart? (other than all the gaskets)

This is the first I've heard of this ka cam chain tensioner- I suppose the cam guides are a weak link in this engine if you're mentioning it?

I ask because in googling it sounds like you've got to use a certain timing chain with it, which I would think would require splitting the bottom cases- not that that's a big issue, I plan on it anyways.

I'll be sure to research the valve seats when I've got it apart.

Thank you for your input! I'm a motorcycle beginner, but so far it seems fairly logical in it's organization. ;)

its been sitting idle that long proly better to not spin it over bores i would be suprised if they dont have any rust
the cam chain is no biggee the hew one it uses a master link so you would just cut yours free 13k miles it may be toast
its the cam chain oem rubber rollers they go bad age and chemicals 40 years man
besides the ka slipper is just better
get the factory service manual it has everything you need all the service limit specs ,and procedures and is easy understandable
the good news is you have chosen the engine/motorcycle with as much or more aftermarket , nos and used support/parts/racing parts than any other in history,for sure at least at 350cc
and the bike was always very good probably best if you are like a 100lb oriental

and the case screws are not phillips they are jis require the correct fitting tip
bottom line is the correct one will stick in place,it fits so good, the others will not take torque,cam out ,and knurl up the fit

Updates. Rearranged in the garage so I could get to the mediablaster.

Before
4e15ec96c60e27eb29584688c5a0055f.jpg

After
753cecc5f40e4b1772f564a9b25ca785.jpg

979f735300db828682a3f9d5d2456adc.jpg

Before
a7e7d13854adac82ef16c97288bc76dc.jpg

After
ba2f052a2e1b8d8b1193e69feede159e.jpg

Started cleaning the fins and such, just elbow grease and simple green.
b064b96577787f44dc36217169a89d08.jpg

21528fece93490205029783895160662.jpg

Stalling somewhat to see what my finances allow going forward. May only have budget for gaskets, paint, and elbow grease going forward. Though with some creativity that may go a fair ways.

Ah, there's the rust. Seems to get in from the top and this is the low drain point in the frame. That'll have to go.

99049f71c115c1ff137b9bdb9af5c5a4.jpg

I've ordered new cylinder jugs, so the old jugs are auditioning as tool and pencil organizers - i think they'll be pretty cool for that use painted white.

1f3be7b7f8b1cdaecadea00a7f0831fd.jpg

I've got lots of engine parts coming in, and have been trying to work my way through prepping and painting parts when possible.

My brother sprung for us both to attend the local Harley riders training course, so that's awesome!

Back
Top Bottom