'82 cafe XV750

Stumbled across this thread on while googlizing what to do with an 82 XV750 I received under similar circumstances. The bike will probably stay ridable for the summer (aside from installing a shim kit in the starter of death and upsizing the battery) but come cold weather it seems a tear down may be in order....your build is downright inspirational. Cheers to your progress Matt, look forward to seeing how it turns out.

FINALLY had time to work on the bike ... gotta get this sucker done!

Swapped out the 4" lowered forks for 2" lowered forks - ~3.75" of travel and 4.5" ground clearance now ... much better.

Also finished the seat subframe - bolts to my (rear) tank riser and the original upper subframe mounts. Plenty of room to mount the battery and the remainder of the original electronics between the uprights and under the bumpstop.

100_2397.jpg

100_2395.jpg

100_2392.jpg

I have some really cool easy-to-use composite material to work with to make the tank-to-seat blend ... will post up a little write up on that when I have it done.

Next up is playing with the exhaust, rear sets, and lighting ...

Looking forward to progress on the tank! the stock cruiser tank isn't doing it for me, especially with the cafe tail

Keeping this tank, not in the budget to do anything else and there isn't anything wrong with it. A XV920 tank is a little more cafe'ish, but not going to bother unless I stumble on one.

Raising the rear of the tank ~50mm helped out 'the look' a lot.

My sentiments exactly on keeping the stocker. I'm always on the hunt for an existing tank, but with the odd backbone of the XV, I don't know what would be a good candidate for a swap. I've also thought about how one might use a paint scheme to alter the shape of the tank. Painted in knee pockets could do the trick.

That's looking sweet man. I just bought an xv750 '81, first bike i ever owned. I'm using it as a learning tool, kinda learn as i go.

When I came across the zero I was pretty impressed by the improvements made to original. To be honest I'd never heard of care racers before. I couldn't figure out what it was that I thought was so cool about the bike at first, but I think I figured it out. A lot of the extra components like the plastic moldings, fenders, and battery are all taken out. It really makes the engine the centerpiece. I would like to do something similar with my bike.

My question:
How does the battery/ignition work on your bike?
And are you going to get a different air filter? It looks like the zero bike has a different air filter but I'm not really sure because there aren't many pics of the other side.

Thanks

1st gen (81-83) suffer from starter and rectifier/regulator (R&R) problems. While I have yet to start my bike, my Dad reported that the starter was fine. It had eaten 2 or 3 OE R&Rs though - and he didn't use it much ... would always have a dead battery.

I've picked up another 'should work' used R&R for the time being, but I won't hesitate to go here next for a suitable replacement -> http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/index.html

Zero doesn't have an air filter (in any of the pics) - just added a velocity stack to the frame where the original airbox mounted. I found a really cool velocity stack at a swap meet ($5) and plan to do the same, but I will put a (doorscreen) mesh under it to keep big stuff out and will probably run a temporary 'sock' filter over the opening when going down down a dry road ... not planning on running this bike on a wet road.

Ah I see, interesting about the air filter. That's pretty straight forward.

This whole battery eliminator thing is another story. I don't really understand how it works but I'm def. gonna have to look into it.

Getting the battery/air filter and all that plastic crap outta there really makes the bike look better i think.

Wow man what a build, the V-twin makes the stance absolutely formidable looking! I really like the way you built the subframe as well. I cant wait to see how it turns out

Love those fat tires on the front and back. Looks like a mean beast so far! awesome job.

If you want an XV920RH tank complete with the keys for the locking gas cap and the petcock still installed, you're welcome to mine - free, if you pick it up but you'll have to pay for me to ship to you.
I'm using a (hugely modified) Ducati Hailwood NCR tank and solo seat, so the tank is yours. It'll need a good flush and maybe a reseal (looks like some yobbo tried to use something inside the tank but maybe it's just seriously deranged overspray from a paint job gone REAL BAD) but wasn't leaking when I last used it Has some bondo spots, needs a paint job but tons more cafe-style than what you've got.
I really like your subframe. My first kick at the can used the original high strength bolts at the rear of the frame like yours does, but because of the Duke tank hugs my frame backbone so closely I couldn't use the forward mount like you've done, I installed 3, 1/4- 20 nutserts in the frame on either side and bolted the forward subframe to them. I also ran 2 tubes from the subframe horizontal tubes to the frame bolts just above the swingarm to triangulate the whole thing. Worked great, stiff as hell, was about 10% of the weight of the old subframe, but I managed to bend it (long story).
My new design will have the rear loop vertical and the Duke seat will attach at the back with 2 stainless steel allanhead bolts into nutserts installed in the subframe tubes. Still not as simple a frame as yours, but it'll get the job done.
One cautionary note about the early Virago frames; inspect the 2 coupling bolts that marry up the lower and upper frames for corrosion. If you find any, get new bolts or better yet, get aircraft-grade 3/8 bolts the correct length with either castellated nuts or locknuts. On my frame, the bolts were a light driving fit - I smeared them with white assembly grease but any thick grease should work just as well and acts like a corrosion barrier too. Torque them to factory specs (my original bolts weren't). The guys that race(d) the XV920RH's say the 3/8 bolts make a big improvement in handling.
Let me know if you want the XV tank and if you're interested in the aircraft bolts, I'll give you the correct P/N's - they cost me about $20.00 CDN for everything from Aircraft Spruce. They're at Brantford (ON) Airport and I highly recommend them. Also 2 outlets in the US and a thriving mail order biz if you live in East Nowhere, Idaho...
Regards,
Pat Cowan,
Pacomotorstuff,
pacomotorstuff@cogeco.ca
905-383-5510

I want to apologize for the delay in getting this new batch of rear-to-front wheel kits shipped out to everyone who has been patiently waiting ... my machinist hasn't been returning my phone calls or e-mails for some reason.

He is 2hrs away ... if I don't hear from him soon, I will make the road trip.

Cafe-XV750 said:
I want to apologize for the delay in getting this new batch of rear-to-front wheel kits shipped out to everyone who has been patiently waiting ... my machinist hasn't been returning my phone calls or e-mails for some reason.

He is 2hrs away ... if I don't hear from him soon, I will make the road trip.

BACK/FRONT wheel wheel kit? Who needs those (I have mine already) :). I'm waiting for the marketing of the rear seat support kit that's coming out. Can I be first on the list????
Thanks Matt!!!

caferoyale said:
I'm waiting for the marketing of the rear seat support kit that's coming out. Can I be first on the list????

I've thought about it. I ended up welding my tank riser onto the frame as I wasn't satisfied with any (simple) strong way of bolting. If I can reconfigure it to be a bolt-on (to be DIY friendly) I might offer it. The seat subframe bolts to the tank riser bracketry in the front.

Let me get this thing further along where I have all the wiring and battery location figured out and I'll give it more thought.

Sorry the new batch of wheel conversion kits is taking so long ...

Found out late last week my machinist had a health problem that literally had him out-of-action for 3+ weeks. I'm still trying to get an ETA out of him - he is the best cost option by a long-shot and I'd hate to have to significantly increase the kit price by having to go with another supplier.

If you can wait a little longer, I'm going to try to stick it out with him - if not, I'll refund any deposits and let you know when I can come up with a reasonable cost solution.

Hey there, new to the forum and I found your thread. I like what you've done so far. I'm thinking of building my 920 similar to Zero Engineerings.

Couple questions for you. I haven't read in detail your whole thread so forgive me if these have already been answered:
1. Are you planning on using a similar seat as Zero's? if so where are you getting it from/are you building it yourself?

2. If so have you considered running the exhaust through the frame and underneath the seat between the tire and seat (similar to alot of modern streetbikes/dirt bikes). I plan on doing just this with my cafe 920 but I have yet to see any really clean routing jobs done on similar style bikes, and have found no xv's with this done to them. Wondering if you've seen/or have pictures of something like this?

Andrew.

I working in a RocCity Roadster f'glass seat on my own custom subframe.

I've seen XVs with the exhaust up high (search for Sepp Koch bikes) - not quite under the seat, but I'm not a fan of how the exhaust pipes look routed that high.

Back
Top Bottom