Doing the 1/3 Ton - 1978 GL1000

Nuthin' like paying folks in company script. 8)

Oh and since you owe your soul to the company store, I auctioned the rights to it off. Some guy down at the Crossroads gave me a good price for it. ;)

Cause I've told you once--you son of a bitch--I'm the best there's ever been.

goodwp.com_18377.jpg

Just found this thread. Nice GL. I had an 1100 and loved it. It was more reliable than either of the sportsters I've owned. And even with over 100K miles on the clock, it would leave them in the dust. And it would steal attention away from some of the big Harleys I would park next to (rode with a mostly Harley group). With maintenance, they'll run forever.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 764
^+1.

PSA: service that starter motor once in a while, or every 36 years, whichever comes first.

3ura4uta.jpg

hhmmmm.......hasn't that starter been in use longer than you've been alive?

Probably looks better inside, too. I spent about an hour and a half last night with a toothbrush, rubbing alcohol, mineral spirits, #0000 steel wool, and several shop towels. It's all greased back up now waiting for replacement brushes (one of the two was only about 3mm long and had been wearing crooked).

Hopefully, if they come in on Wednesday, I can put it all back together and ride on Thursday - when it should approach 40F for the first time in months. :)

Did you have to replace the bearings in the starter, or just grease them?

I guess I didn't realize you were only 1.5 hours West of me - I'll have to ride out that way and check the beast out when the weather gets a bit nicer.

The bearing forward of the reduction gear was in good shape - just cleaned it thoroughly and repacked it.

My sister lives in Ypsi (and I lived in AA for a few years); I make it out to Farmington for work a few times a year. Are you going down to the Thaw in May?

Back
Top Bottom