Doing the 1/3 Ton - 1978 GL1000

hey rich
\
if it is toast try these guys they have given me awesome service over the years and there prices include overnight shipping

http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-8179-gl1000.aspx

I'm not worried - it cleaned up well, and the brushes were the only thing in truly bad shape. One was worn waaay down and had started to contact the commutator at an angle.

The joke here has always been that I sold my soul to live in a house full of women. The devil's in the details.

when they get like that you should see if you can find someone with a armature tester

i dont rebuild them when they get that bad anymore without testing them as they tend

to have some bad windings and will work well when cold but then wont crank over properly once the engine

and starter get hot they wil crank over slowly so if its a customer bike i just put on new as with labour to clean the stater

and a brush kit ts cheaper for the customer to just to open the box and put new

so if you need and bits for your i have a pile of them

good luck

Rich Ard said:
The bearing forward of the reduction gear was in good shape - just cleaned it thoroughly and repacked it.

My sister lives in Ypsi (and I lived in AA for a few years); I make it out to Farmington for work a few times a year. Are you going down to the Thaw in May?

I just bought a house in AA in September, and it's in the southeast corner, near Yipsi. Should be easier to get to the Tuesday bike night...

I don't think I'm going to be able to make it to the Thaw, sadly. I have to coordinate moving our campus wide repair and support operations in April and May due to the building our building is attached to being renovated for the next 18ish months. On the plus side, it may involve a promotion for me. There's also the little problem of not having a reliable bike, or at least a bike with more than 10 miles under its belt.

cxman said:
when they get like that you should see if you can find someone with a armature tester

i dont rebuild them when they get that bad anymore without testing them as they tend

to have some bad windings and will work well when cold but then wont crank over properly once the engine

and starter get hot they wil crank over slowly so if its a customer bike i just put on new as with labour to clean the stater

and a brush kit ts cheaper for the customer to just to open the box and put new

so if you need and bits for your i have a pile of them

good luck

If this were a customer's bike I'd suggest the same - but at ten bucks for the brushes it was worth a shot, and previously it was easy to start when the engine was warm and intermittent when cold.

Unfortunately it is still 20F outside.

Same here. I went out for a short ride last night, it'll have to hold me over for a while.

LUCKY!
My 600' driveway is a mix between a Mud Pit and an Ice Skating Rink. No way I can get one of my bikes TO the road let alone DOWN the road.

Ha ha...I had to flat foot it to the main road, but like I said, it was worth it...

tyzujuqu.jpg

Since Mid Ohio is next weekend, a several-hundred-mile trip, I decided to take off the Valkryie seat, rack and bags, and put my NOS stock seat on. More comfy than expected, and I will have trouble "accidentally" bringing stuff home from Ohio.

Back
Top Bottom