Doing the 1/3 Ton - 1978 GL1000

Rich Ard said:
Since Mid Ohio is next weekend, a several-hundred-mile trip, I decided to take off the Valkryie seat, rack and bags, and put my NOS stock seat on. More comfy than expected, and I will have trouble "accidentally" bringing stuff home from Ohio.
Sorry to remind you, but there is always UPS / FedEx.

cxman said:
i have a trailer hitch for it if you need it !

How much work is it to mount/remove the hitch for these things, I have been considering putting one on to tow a small homemade trailer with a "Fun" bike on it for the long trips to the various GTG's like Barber. I love my GL but sometimes would like to have a smaller cc lighter machine to rip around on once I arrive, and the GL would be more fun towing then the truck.

Maritime said:
How much work is it to mount/remove the hitch for these things, I have been considering putting one on to tow a small homemade trailer with a "Fun" bike on it for the long trips to the various GTG's like Barber. I love my GL but sometimes would like to have a smaller cc lighter machine to rip around on once I arrive, and the GL would be more fun towing then the truck.

Not terrible. Mine takes 4 bolts.

btw

i do have a trailer hitch it is one of the things that is sooner or later destined to go to the scrap pile

a long with a bunch of other gl1000 and 1100 1200 dress up stuff so all any of you need to do is figure out how to come get it lol

cxman said:
btw

i do have a trailer hitch it is one of the things that is sooner or later destined to go to the scrap pile

a long with a bunch of other gl1000 and 1100 1200 dress up stuff so all any of you need to do is figure out how to come get it lol

Thanks, I may be going to Barber so you are likely on the way!

If I pick up a hack for it, there will definitely be a swappable channel with tiedowns for an enduro or a kayak. :)

I know you said you would never take the Virago that far again but I was a little excited to see it at Mid-Ohio. I guess just seeing the beard will do.

Rich Ard said:
If I pick up a hack for it, there will definitely be a swappable channel with tiedowns for an enduro or a kayak. :)

A Goldwing with a enduro / dirt bike onboard may be the most glorious thing in the history of motorcycling...

Yep, that would be rad. Make the hack swappable between a proper chair and the flatbed bike hauler.

Mid-O is still dicey for me, trying to make it work. And I do have less beard.

Maritime said:
Yep, that would be rad. Make the hack swappable between a proper chair and the flatbed bike hauler.

Ok, bear with me here, make a secure enough tiedown for the "hauled" bike so the passenger can ride on the bike on the flatbed attached to the Goldwing. Bonus points if the "hauled" bike can ride off the hauler while the hauler is in motion.

I'm only half joking - I wonder how unstable it would make the rig if someone was on the "hauled" bike?

Back
Top Bottom