Honda cb350 cafe racer project from the UK

Andyp

Been Around the Block
Hi DTT

I purchased a 1972 Honda CB350 about 4 months ago now and have been slowly purchasing goodies for her to try and build a ridable cafe racer for the summer.
I live in Wiltshire in the UK as an Maintenance Engineer. I can put my hand to most things but Motorbikes are a fairly new thing for me. I have owned a few bikes but never built one. So here goes.
Every journey starts with a small step.

My Honda was an import into the UK from sunny California so the condition is excellent. The tank and dials are a bit sun bleached but thats not a problem as I plan to replace these later.

Here she is in all her glory..

I've yet to give her a name but am thinking of...
Cafe - del-mar I had an Ibiza craze when I was younger.

As you can see the tank and dials are shot and the cables need replacing. Add to the to do list.

Frame is good condition also. Chrome is good. Thought this would be an ideal project to start with.

Tank and seat combo delivered and on the kitchen island. Best not tell the wife about this one.

Love the detail on this.
Also sealed it now so ready to fit once I sort out my running issues. You'll see what I mean in a few pics time..!

For the keen eyed amongst you. You may notice some slight changes now to the front end.
Cow horn handlebars removed. Clip ons fitted. New controls and cables.

Getting there now. Need to get rid of those gauges so ordered some smaller ones from Dime city cycles. Still waiting for delivery.

Fitted some smaller front indicators.
At this point I was ready to take Cafe del mar on her maiden voyage.

Thats when the trouble started. Didn't get out of 2nd gear and only rev'd to 4000 rpm.
So tank off and start investigating... Not pleased with what I found.

Ended up removing wires and replacing with new. Cut out the connector and just used spade connectors. Not as difficult as first thought.
Also found someone had replaced the 15A fuse with a 30A! to hide the wiring issue I'm guessing. Thanks previous owner.

Nice bike and a lot of work so far.

The melted wires concern me, these bikes had a very delicate rectifier, and less that efficient regulator, you mihgt look at those being replaced.

The other thing is the year, and this would only come into play in registration and or ordering OE parts. but i don't know a '72 with a disc brake, Fork boots or Chrome headlight brackets. As well the shifter in not correct for a '72 and it does not appear to have the correct lever spindle if it had been replaced with the traditional one.

Like i say it would only be a concern if you a re looking for OE parts.

Cheers coofeeguy,
I had to write a letter to Honda Japan with the engine and chassis number and they confirmed year of manufacture was 1972.
It may well have been made then but sold as a 73.
Good for me as I don't have to pay road tax for it being a 72 and would have to if it was a 73.
Yes I'm looking to replace the regulator & rectifier next. Hopefully should cure any problems.

Back
Top Bottom