74 RD350 - Anything more than 2 strokes is a waste

The injector pumps are virtually bomb-proof. Very very reliable. Almost the only thing that goes wrong with them is the little check balls get stuck. These are not normally serviceable parts, but 90% of the time they can be fixed. Generally they are only gummed up from sitting, but I have seen the springs corrode, which is hard to believe when normally they are submerged in oil. Before you get concerned, verify that you absolutely can not get oil through the pump. It takes a dreadfully large number of manual turns on that nylon gear to get oil up through the lines, so pull them off at the pump. You should get oil pretty quickly if you open the throttle all the way to max out the pump stroke and turn the manual gear. FYI the gear can only spin in one direction. The pump delivers no appreciable pressure, oil only oozes out alternately between the two outlets. It will be obvious if it works though. If you can't get any oil, pull the feed line off and put a line on to supply gasoline. Try to get that to go through and free up the check valves. If that does not work, you will have to pull the valves. They are located behind the two 90 degree brass outlet fittings the carburetor feed lines go to. They are just pressed into the pump body. When you pull them out, behind them is a spring and a steel check ball. The spring likely will try to escape with some determination when freed of the brass outlet fitting, so be careful. Usually they come out fairly easily, but they are very soft and easy to damage. Take a very small vice-grip and bite the round barrel of the fitting and simultaneously turn it while trying to pull it out. Grip it in a way that will not touch the little 90 degree pipe because it is delicate, and if the vice grip slips it will be ruined. Once removed, you should be able to clean up the parts with WD40 and put it back together. Aside from leaking, this is the only thing I have seen fail on these pumps.

jpmobius said:
The injector pumps are virtually bomb-proof. Very very reliable. Almost the only thing that goes wrong with them is the little check balls get stuck. These are not normally serviceable parts, but 90% of the time they can be fixed. Generally they are only gummed up from sitting, but I have seen the springs corrode, which is hard to believe when normally they are submerged in oil. Before you get concerned, verify that you absolutely can not get oil through the pump. It takes a dreadfully large number of manual turns on that nylon gear to get oil up through the lines, so pull them off at the pump. You should get oil pretty quickly if you open the throttle all the way to max out the pump stroke and turn the manual gear. FYI the gear can only spin in one direction. The pump delivers no appreciable pressure, oil only oozes out alternately between the two outlets. It will be obvious if it works though. If you can't get any oil, pull the feed line off and put a line on to supply gasoline. Try to get that to go through and free up the check valves. If that does not work, you will have to pull the valves. They are located behind the two 90 degree brass outlet fittings the carburetor feed lines go to. They are just pressed into the pump body. When you pull them out, behind them is a spring and a steel check ball. The spring likely will try to escape with some determination when freed of the brass outlet fitting, so be careful. Usually they come out fairly easily, but they are very soft and easy to damage. Take a very small vice-grip and bite the round barrel of the fitting and simultaneously turn it while trying to pull it out. Grip it in a way that will not touch the little 90 degree pipe because it is delicate, and if the vice grip slips it will be ruined. Once removed, you should be able to clean up the parts with WD40 and put it back together. Aside from leaking, this is the only thing I have seen fail on these pumps.
I'm rolling the engine over with the link starter without the spark plugs in it. I'm getting oil to come out the left cylinder feed, but not the right tube. I pulled the rt tube of the pump, there is oil being pumped out of the pump and into the tube.
Before I bolted that cover on, I ensued the pump worked by spinning the pump shaft nut with my drill to make sure it was primed and working properly.

I pulled the carbs and adjusted the float heights. Checked them on the bench with gas to make sure they sealed too. Actually had to scrap a new needle from the rebuild kit in favor of an old one.

Fired the bike up and same story. Idled for 30-40 seconds with just a slight throttle input from me to keep it running and then starts screaming. I'll shut it off and restart it and it immediately starts screaming again. Not sure what's going on

Thanks for all of the input guys. I really appreciate it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I didn't see (I didn't look) where we know if the carbs are new to the motor or if they are known to work with the current jetting in the past. what pilot/mains are you running and what under slide, shim height (drill bit, toothpick etc.) are you bench setting idle at? I prefer to use the throttle to get it started after synching and then adjust high idle with the big "throttle stop" screw.

The good thing IS it runs like a banshee when the mix is right, but we are yet to determine if it's correct and still the floats are shotgunning fuel... I would because I'm int path of least resistance and never attended much school on the subject for shits sake... simply over adjust float height deep and starve the bowls just a bit to see if I can get it to shop perf and move up from dat. ???

Mobius is a plethora of knowledge in this stuff so if he chimes in we will get the scientific splaination on it fer sure... that guy is causing me to learn shit without tryin :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm running the stock carbs with the Dave F mod. I can't remember what pilot size but its the stock pilot that came in a rebuild kit. I changed the needle and started with a 200 main.

I added some YZ125 red petals to the Reed block.

I eye balled the slide heights but will go back and reset. Any idea on what size drill to start with to bench sync the carbs?

I'll pull the float bowls and make another adjustment to try to get the float needle to shut off before flooding the engine.

Main seems fat, but not effecting idle unless the needle is not seated deep enough and allowing main fuel into the idle circuit... I would guess a 35 pilot to start with and 1/8 and 5/32 in drills use the 5/32nd to get the first up (round end not the drill end) then when the 1/8th slides under #2 easy they will be money. The reeds unless real stiff carbon won't come into play at idle for the most part, they shine from short of midrange (that wonderful hit) on up and are designed to do so.

Tune-A-Fish said:
I would guess a 35 pilot to start with and 1/8 and 5/32 in drills use the 5/32nd to get the first up (round end not the drill end) then when the 1/8th slides under #2 easy they will be money.

As long as this works out to be a smaller throttle opening than that used for idle it sounds ok, but you have to know that for certain. This is what I do and how I understand the function.

"syncing" the carbs is intended to get both cylinders to produce the same output. This is rather tricky to actually test for and adjust, so we fall back to just trying to make everything be mechanically the same. To that end, we "synchronize" the throttles. We could do this by reading the manifold vacuum on each cylinder and adjusting the carbs accordingly, but that still does not ensure equal output. In this case, we adopt an even cruder method and endeavor to merely make the slides rise and fall at the exact same time, hopefully this results in even power output. So we place an obstruction in the venturi to exactly locate the throttle slides. Any obstruction will do so long as it is identical for both (or more) carbs. You could use a pair off 3/4" bits or a pair of 1/16" bits - the size is irrelevant as long as they are the same. Then it is a small matter to adjust the operating mechanism - in this case cable adjusters on the top of the carbs - so that both throttles begin to move at exactly the same time. Since they are presumably held open the exact same amount by our drill bit of whatever size, the fact that we get the slack in the cables adjusted so that both slides to start to lift at the same time means that they will always be in identical locations regardless of throttle opening. Idle setting is merely setting the lowest position of each throttle, and aside from the fact that we would like both idle stop screws to stop the slides in the identical spot, it is basically irrelevant for all other throttle positions.

I generally use the bottom of the slide bores for a stop, but using a tiny drill bit is more acurate. Why use a tiny bit? Because you want to ensure that you do not inadvertently adjust the cable so they become the limiting factor and render the idle stop screws useless. When the engine is idling, there needs to be at least a little slack in the cables. If the slides are hanging by their cables when the throttle is closed and not touching the idle stop screws, the cable adjustment will be setting the idle speed. If that position is 1/16" higher than what the idle position should be, your idle speed will be 10,000 rpm! In neutral, holding a very small throttle opening off of idle will send the rpm's off the end of the tach. I have some race carbs on one of my street bikes. Those carbs have no idle stops at all. Let go of the throttle and the engine dies, as the throttles can close so far the engine is just choked off. On the street, I get it to idle (sort of) by adjusting all the slack out of the cables and it becomes the cables that hold the throttles open far enough to keep the engine running. I can tell you it takes very VERY little adjustment at the cable adjuster on just one carb to sent the engine off the end of the tach. So it is fairly impractical, as normal variation in the cable operation makes the idle speed quite variable.

Jet size should not cause anything like this, nor the reeds - though the jet sizes should be fine at least to get it running and start tuning. I would throw away the jet from the rebuild kit and get factory Mikuni out of hand - would not even attempt to work on solving a problem without oem brass though I very much doubt that this is the problem.

Do make sure the float bowls are on correctly - they are NOT the same, and that the connector line for the choke is good. And make sure your slides will both touch the bottom of their bores with the idle stop screws removed. Fix the engine runaway speed first and then adjust everything and you can start tuning.

Yep :) The 1/8th is from exp and the 32nd is because I will inadvertently set the first a bit tight and the second a bit loosy so in the end its prolly mech synched within say a quarter mile at least. and yeas for sure need to toss on the gauges to dial in vac but as you say sucking the same air wont say much for gas, for the we need a sensor or known to be a lot of identical parts and holes the fit in :eek:

I completely follow what you guys are saying. I set the carbs up a few months back. I'm going to go back through everything, especially ensuring that the cables aren't hanging the slides. This could very well be why I'm having issues .

Thanks to both of you for the very well written responses

I think I had the none choke side carb bowl on the choke side and so on. It took a keen eye to see that the left bowl is drilled and fitted with an orifice jet that matches the emulsion tube stemming from the choke circuit.

I swapped bowls and fitted it up. No more run away engine and it sputtered out of gas as expected.

I'm still not seeing oil coming out of the rt cylinder oil pump line. I cleaned and rebuilt the pump before installing and bench bled and primed it before installing the clutch cover on the engine. Spinning the pump drive shaft with a drill resulted in oil pumped through both feed lines a few months back. I verified that the pump was pumping oil last night but it just won't seem to climb up the line. I wonder if the check ball is stuck open allowing whatever has been pumped to drain back between pump strokes?

Either way, we made progress today. Thanks for pointing out the differences in float bowls

I was able to get the bike sorted out a bit over the last few weeks. I swapped out the black vinyl oil feed lines for some clear tubing to make sure that oil is flowing from the pump. Everything ran good aside from some plug fouling issues. I only had some premix on hand to fire the bike up with. I'd have a cylinder drop out here and there until I got some more gas and cut the premix to a point that it wasn't too much oil. The good news is that the bike is running good. I found a few small exhaust and trans oil leaks that I'll address during the final rebuild.
Aside from paint and body, I have to add a chain slider to the swing arm, a chain roller, and have a front brake hose made up.

I got around to firing it up and running it through some heat cycles. Here is a link to a short video of the bike running
https://youtu.be/bz8z4DKGN38

Sounds nice . Glad to see that you got the Leaning out/ running away sorted out. I had a 1989 R125 that did that to me. At that time I had the chain off and no kill switch, it scared the you know what out of me.

jchek779 said:
I was able to get the bike sorted out a bit over the last few weeks. I swapped out the black vinyl oil feed lines for some clear tubing to make sure that oil is flowing from the pump. Everything ran good aside from some plug fouling issues. I only had some premix on hand to fire the bike up with. I'd have a cylinder drop out here and there until I got some more gas and cut the premix to a point that it wasn't too much oil. The good news is that the bike is running good. I found a few small exhaust and trans oil leaks that I'll address during the final rebuild.
Aside from paint and body, I have to add a chain slider to the swing arm, a chain roller, and have a front brake hose made up.

I got around to firing it up and running it through some heat cycles. Here is a link to a short video of the bike running
https://youtu.be/bz8z4DKGN38

sounds awesome man!cant wait to put chambers on my RD!

may i ask what you ended up on the mains and idle jets?

thanks!

Ryan Stecken said:
sounds awesome man!cant wait to put chambers on my RD!

may i ask what you ended up on the mains and idle jets?

thanks!
I can't remember what the jet sizes are exactly aside from these details.
I took the 250 carbs and performed the Dave F carb mod. You can find the details on that with a quick search. Stock air screw, I think it's a stock 30 pilot, and I started with a200 main. I still haven't ridden the bike to know how far off the jetting is yet.

Thanks man!cant wait to year how she rides,dunno if you have access to a dyno but it would be extremly interesting hp wise what she puts on the rear tire after your mods.

So I went on a bit of a hiatus from bike building for a few months. I didn't have any major projects going on and this bike wouldn't sell in a part way finished state.... So I decided to just finish it.

I had to weld on the kickstand, make a front brake hose, and finish the tank and seat. I did all of the above in 4 nights last week, in an effort to get the bike to the TonUp Highlands Vintage Meltdown. Mission Accomplished.... Although some paint may have still been a bit tacky when I rolled her in.

Attachments

• IMG_20160427_171230.jpg
    IMG_20160427_171230.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 226
  • IMG_20160428_203934.jpg
    IMG_20160428_203934.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 245
  • IMG_20160430_101354.jpg
    IMG_20160430_101354.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 263
I saw your bike at the show. neat ride man. any bites on a buyer?

hurco550 said:
I saw your bike at the show. neat ride man. any bites on a buyer?

Na no luck. I have over 5k into the bike. I probably won't get more than 3k for it, so I might as well just keep it.

Hey Guys,

Been a while. I've tinkered with the bike here and there, but really haven't had much time to work on it. The bike starts first kick but I'm struggling to figure out why the charging system won't raise battery voltage to something acceptable at 13-14V while the bike is running and revving. With the bike running at idle, the battery voltage is the same as with the bike off. With the bike running, the voltage dips briefly as the revs come up, then settles back to around 12V. With the bike running, I probed the 3 white leads off the generator. It's just a constant 3VAC regardless of RPM.

I posted in Reply 121 of this thread (sorry can't figure out how to link to post) of how I'm using some newer solid state electronics that the guys over at 2SW figured out would work for the RD. I have no idea what stock RD parts worked or didn't work because the bike was not running when I tore it down to rebuild.

I've been reading as much as I can to figure out the charging system and what might be wrong. I took some measurements using my digital multimeter so that someone may be able to chime in if something seems off.

Batt Voltage at time of measurements - 12VDC
Rotor Ring - Ring Resistance - 4.4 ohms
Green wire at stator connection: 0.09VDC
Green wire at voltage reg: 0.01VDC
Green to Black wire at stator connections - Continuity exists
Green at stator to engine ground - continuity exists
Black at stator to engine ground - continuity exists
Resistance between 3 white wires (white to white to white): Resistance settles at 0.08ohms

I'm guessing that there should be more than 0.09V at the green field wire. I wonder if I should ad a jumper from battery to the green field wire to up the voltage and see if my stator output increases.

Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated

Have you checked in over here? http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/index.php Very helpful and RD knowledgable.

jimmer said:
Have you checked in over here? http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/index.php Very helpful and RD knowledgable.
Yep, posted over there. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom