Re: Bigsam302's 76 CB750F w/GSXR Forks: Project Helen – She Lives!!!

Re: Bigsam302's 76 CB750F w/GSXR Forks: Project Helen - Project back on track

That's a damn fine looking bike!

-Sherm

Thanks Sherm, I appreciate it!

Bigsam302 said:
Finnigan,

Good to meet a fellow rider from SD. What kind of issues are you having? Do you know of any good paint shops in the area? What bike are you building.

Sam

Seat looks much better.

My issues are that the paint isnt awesome when you look close, the fit is off and I have to drill new holes for the mounting brackets to fit in the frame. Instructions were a little wrong as well.

Don't have any experience with paint shops in the area, they all quoted more than double what BCR was charging so I went with paint from them. Building a cb450.

Know any trustworthy welders in the area?

Joey

Finnigan said:
Seat looks much better.

My issues are that the paint isnt awesome when you look close, the fit is off and I have to drill new holes for the mounting brackets to fit in the frame. Instructions were a little wrong as well.

Don't have any experience with paint shops in the area, they all quoted more than double what BCR was charging so I went with paint from them. Building a cb450.

Know any trustworthy welders in the area?

Joey

Thanks Joey,

I'm sorry to hear about your tank. I would have never paid BCR to paint my tank. After seeing the work they did on my tank, I can only imagine the work they did on your tank. I think that if you want a good paint job, you are going to have to pay for it. There is this shop out in Santee that I'm going to visit soon. The guy specializes in custom paint jobs.

As for the welding, I have a guy named Sal who has a little welding shop over by Sports Arena Blvd. It's called S.C. Welding and Metalworks. He use to race motorcycles back in the days and have built a lot of bikes. There are all kinds of bikes in his shop. He is legit and can do anything you want. He is fun to talk to and you can tell that he is very proud and passionate with his craft. He did all the welding on my bike. I told him what I wanted and we kept walking through everything. If you look back through my post you will see my frame sitting in his shop. He only works in the evenings from about 5-7 and 7-10 on Saturdays. I can get you his number if you like.

Sam

That sounds great, sure PM me his info. Thanks!

What a great looking build, top quality parts all around. Going to be following along with great interest as I am also currently working on a 76 CB750 SS. Any updates on your build?

Loctite77 said:
What a great looking build, top quality parts all around. Going to be following along with great interest as I am also currently working on a 76 CB750 SS. Any updates on your build?

Thanks very much. I've been checking out your build as well. I am working on some things with this build right now. Since I am waiting for my engine parts to come in, I decided that I don't like the gold forks and steering damper on my bike. So I'm going with black forks instead. I scored a nice set on ebay for a 2011 GSXR-750. I sent them off to RG3 Suspension and had them revalve them and set them up for my bike and weight. I also had the fork tubes anodized black. I had to get my front wheel relaced. Doing this swap I had to change my front wheel hub. I ended up getting a new one from Cogntio Moto. I like this one a lot better because I didn't have to drill my brake rotors and it seems a lot safer. I hope to have my wheel back by next week.

Another positive note. One of the major hold ups on my bike is waiting on Cycle X to finish my head and block. It's going on 5 months now. Last week Ken from Cycle X gave me a call and said that he finally got all of my parts in and is reassembling everything now. He should be finished with it next week. So hopefully I'll be able to update my build soon!

Sam

Bigsam302 said:
Thanks very much. I've been checking out your build as well. I am working on some things with this build right now. Since I am waiting for my engine parts to come in, I decided that I don't like the gold forks and steering damper on my bike. So I'm going with black forks instead. I scored a nice set on ebay for a 2011 GSXR-750. I sent them off to RG3 Suspension and had them revalve them and set them up for my bike and weight. I also had the fork tubes anodized black. I had to get my front wheel relaced. Doing this swap I had to change my front wheel hub. I ended up getting a new one from Cogntio Moto. I like this one a lot better because I didn't have to drill my brake rotors and it seems a lot safer. I hope to have my wheel back by next week.

Another positive note. One of the major hold ups on my bike is waiting on Cycle X to finish my head and block. It's going on 5 months now. Last week Ken from Cycle X gave me a call and said that he finally got all of my parts in and is reassembling everything now. He should be finished with it next week. So hopefully I'll be able to update my build soon!

Sam

So what did you do with the old forks? Im looking for a set :)

If you are interested in them let me know. They are in the garage in a box. I was looking to sell off all of my old stuff later. I have the forks, headlight brackets, clip-ons, hub, brake rotors, top triple tree, wheel hub, and steering damper that I'm looking to get rid of. I had to change all of these parts because my new set is a little smaller.

Can't wait to see this thing with the new forks on there! The black will look awesome I'm sure.

Nice looking project. Sorry to hear about Benjie's stuff, as I have heard and seen personally some of his work and it all seems that way.

Looking forward to seeing it finished.

ohiocaferacer said:
Nice looking project. Sorry to hear about Benjie's stuff, as I have heard and seen personally some of his work and it all seems that way.

Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Thanks Greg, I really appreciate it. Same here. I really wish that I had checked the reviews before I bought this tank from Benjie. Definitely a lesson learned. But it's fixed now and in much better shape.

Sam

Wow great build looking forward to seeing it done .

Bigsam302 said:
Thanks Greg, I really appreciate it. Same here. I really wish that I had checked the reviews before I bought this tank from Benjie. Definitely a lesson learned. But it's fixed now and in much better shape.

Sam

It might be because of the integrated oil tank. I have purchased a few tanks from him (about 4years ago WOW!) and they were great. Uniform interior coating, smooth external shape and a good base for paint. Wish you well.

redwillissuperman said:
It might be because of the integrated oil tank. I have purchased a few tanks from him (about 4years ago WOW!) and they were great. Uniform interior coating, smooth external shape and a good base for paint. Wish you well.

Red,

The integrated oil tank has nothing to do with it. It's a great design. The quality of work is the problem. You can't put sealer over rust and then pile even more sealer on top of it in an attempt to make it smooth. It's is done correctly now. I'm glad that your experience was better. You are one of the few.

Sam

I was just thinking the oil tank takes more jockeying and fabrication while my tanks were regular, and thus much easier to deal with. My coating is smooth as a baby's bottom :D

Glad you got it sorted.

Re: Bigsam302's 76 CB750F w/GSXR Forks: Project Helen - Finally, progress!!!

I know that it has been awhile since I have updated my build. No I have not given up. I’m still around. I’ve been doing my best to maintain my sanity while I’ve been waiting for my engine to arrive. I have even gone as far as throwing a cover over my bike so I wouldn’t have to look at it in my garage anymore. I have been working on small projects (or improvements) to past the time by.

The first change that I made to my bike was changing my forks. I have never been a big fan of the gold forks on my bike and I’ve been looking for ways to change it. I also wanted to upgrade my front wheel. My plan was to eventually switch to Cognito Moto’s front hub later down the road. I figured since I have the time now, I should go ahead and do it. I scored a nice set of 2011 GSXR-750 forks and a lower triple tree on ebay. I ended up sending my forks to RG3 Suspension and had them revalve it, set it up for my bike and weight, and they anodized my forks black. I sent my triple tree off to Cognito Moto to get the stem pressed into it and powder coated.

Here are my old GSXR-1000 forks removed
gl-Vs_Sp4gJ7Gg8bfAJHW3LQD-WPxZCA2uAsoGpTaBA=w528-h703-no

I saw this as a great opportunity to improve on what I had originally done.

Here is my original lower triple tree. I didn’t like the way my steering stops turned out
9RDvzrjh62UMzlcrVQIOKo-XE8gItq7SGv2ZdYb_6B0=w528-h703-no

I wanted to do something a little nicer, so I borrowed from Devin’s design and came up with my own steering stops.

I assembled my triple tree and outlined where my steering stops are going to go.
ytGNSZfYv1dBLXOA1gponYswhpese_DQiP6wv13O0YE=w528-h703-no

I also drilled and tapped the lower trees for the new bolts
A2BCQ3TyR0lfgpsDjfgiFlQ3hzCWj_XLkp4f6OCeHk0=w528-h703-no

I bought a piece of 0.5 x 0.5” aluminum stock and drilled a recessed hole in it. I made the hole about 2mm larger than the bolt so I can have a little room to adjust it.
KW7Ttz9JePRXvPCuUySnJMMOg89eYkGpysXERIzX_E8=w528-h703-no

New steering stops test fitted
MSSWcQPsY-p1Un4xhkyT2ruSS4V00gD7ht4Qu29G3j4=w528-h703-no

Here is the finished product. I really like the way it turned out.
HbY3duIN24hSO1R68O9iqyDfMBtCaopUESCwE8IY9yU=w528-h703-no

Here are my new steering stops installed
Rk9UaycGjUFzvN6AL1jCiq4783wRsbqArjLQo3wjpqk=w528-h703-no

Re: Bigsam302's 76 CB750F w/GSXR Forks: Project Helen - Finally, progress!!!

I also wasn’t completely happy with the way my steering damper fit. Plus it was also gold and I decided to get rid of it as well.

I drilled and tapped my lower triple tree in order to mount my new steering damper in a better location
1EeVhtpBj1n0qT_HhzZh56TKEA6jCjTOFQv8NxH-lMc=w528-h703-no

Since I got new forks, I decided to get rid of my cheap clip-ons and replace them with a nice set of Vortex clip-ons.
-BN-tRpC6pwjbsWXqEs4MIVqjIasSHL54dzeLj2WtrQ=w528-h703-no

2YqQMw2RWKxarAj2dH-iD8d1mt5VHh3EEQzEtrQ4hTs=w528-h703-no

Here is my new steering damper installed. I like the way it turned out. It looks much better!
KNLdIL3_ryKhpqkpc7hcVEPe_z6xivo5O-iB0bvHvng=w528-h703-no

Here is my triple tree installed. One thing that you may not have noticed is that I redesigned my upper triple tree clamp. I even lowered my gauge about an inch. It makes the whole front of the bike look better. The Vortex clip-ons also have a better angle and look 100 times better.
a7OnJewsaJUr0eqyyi1OYSqsnO-I85HFqCEJV4u71VA=w528-h703-no

Here’s my front wheel laced to my new hub. I like this so much better than my old Harley hub. Plus, it makes me feel a little better (and safer) being able to use a set of OEM rotors and not having to drill them.
6Dky97hrNRS3ztVX9wYezN5kFJKuzIpuQK1x7S9hBco=w528-h703-no

New (used and in great condition) rotors
OLX01LrSpwGmGCNH501vfOAZWAbF5yqWZuSAvYeRfi4=w528-h703-no

HORz5V_xmsaTvAyfVilLiJE41xQC7_AANeAxGQrEdc4=w528-h703-no

0nh1is6GaFBhREY9X5WuMUETup0OcW3Thpnsv3wL_3Q=w528-h703-no

The black forks look so much better than the gold forks!

Back
Top Bottom