1972 Honda CL175 - First Time build. Help!

If you are trying to get it running you are looking for the wrong things. Electrical issues can start at the component, include any part of the entire circuit up to the power source.

Check for spark.
The ignition circuit only.

Do you understand points? Are they installed and adjusted correctly?

Homework time. Keep going matt i think you might make it.

An hour ago i had to tell my best friend that E85 had put a hole in his 2009 gmc trucks piston. Things could be worse :)

Please do not misinterpret my post. Study your ignition system only. Neutral circuits can be part of the ignition circuit. Someone here should say yay or nay on your bike, my memory has gone to pot.

No I'm not getting spark to the plugs, and I have new coils and boots and plugs with correct spec gapping.

How does power get to the coils?

I will be looking into the points, but the points cover screws are in good and I'm not trying to strip them, I think I need to pick up an impact screw driver?

Yes don't strip the screws. Impact screwdriver, get one. Post pics of the inside.

Your question, how does power get to the coils. The engine turns, powered by the kick or electric starter. A magnet attached to a flywheel passes a coil of wire, creating power that is sent to the points, also known as breaker points. As the cam turns, the points rockers ride on a lobe that opens and closes them, sending voltage to the coils at the correct time. Gap and dwell is key.

I hope to see problems in the points dept. Cause its a simple fix.

Pics. Pics.

Also, understand the wiring. It is simple. Read the diagram til it makes sense. The reason we cant hand ypu the answers is because we arent there. We cant see your wiring.

MattC said:
Assuming everything is wired correctly and I have battery, when I turn the ignition key regardless if the engine is running I should at least get a neutral light on correct?

Yes, you should get a neutral light.

You wrote that your battery is new. What's the voltage across the terminals? If it's a conventional battery, did it come dry, and if so, did you add acid?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 200
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 197
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 201
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 222
Test the condenser as instructed in the manual. It looks pretty rough. It's the little barrel lookin thing in your last pic.

The points have been replaced at some juncture. Adjust them per the manual. Repositon that terminal, itlooks as though it may contact the cover. No bueno.

Back
Top Bottom