1972 Honda CL175 - First Time build. Help!

Gently pry the sprocket off as long as the center Circlip is off. They are a tight fit.

Started work on a seat pan.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    797.5 KB · Views: 205
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 221
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 210
The upholster quoted me at $250 to cover my seat, that's way too expensive right?!

Also got the front wheel painted, I'm very happy.

Still can't get the sproket off the rear to prep and paint it :(

Still waiting on my 3 order of fork seals, hope they fit this time. Can someone confirm the spec size please...

Still need to order a battery that's small enough to fit under my seat compartment also if someone can recommend something affordable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    711.7 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 205
My local Honda dealer stocks the new fork seals for that bike. $7.82 ea. You can order from them. Or, just run down to your dealer and pick them up.
http://www.sportlandmotorsports.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2448228&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1972&fveh=131021

Wife and I just got vinyl, foam and thread from Joanne fabrics and make a seat cover for about $125.00

No, that battery wont work w stock charging system. (seen to many lifepo batteries melt and explode on this forum over the years) AGM or lead acid battery will work all lot cheaper.

Use a dowel and tap the sprocket gently from right side.

Front rim looks great! You will need to balance them also. I dont see any cracks, but, Do you know the age of those tires...safest to assume its time to replace. That rubber is the only thing between your ass and the road. Personally, I like new wheel bearings too. And they are pretty inexpensive.

Turn the chrome spanner nut off key switch. 5ivemotos right. Spray w penetrant and tap it off. You can get a new one on ebay for about $12-15, shipped.

There isn't any reason that sprocket shouldn't come off. Just with your hands, grab it 180 degrees across on either side and rock back and forth with it. Shimmy it a little. Of course this is assuming you removed the bolts holding it in which it appears you did.

That battery may work but only if you get a rebuilt stator from Ricks Motorsports, but maybe not even then.

Do I have to take this off somehow? This thing is not budging and holding up the build!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 192
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 196
That boss doesn't come off. Did you take the circlip off? It could just be rusted on. Take a torch to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it off today with the help of wd-40 and a pry tool and lots of sweat.
I was under the assumption it would slide off the bolts like every other bike in the world, but not quite. Which makes me wonder besides the rust, the only thing holding this is basically a circlip?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 201
Yes, but besides some slight cornering force, the axial force is minimal compared to the radial forces on the sprocket.

Can someone please tell me what size fork seals I need, this is my 3rd pair ordered from 3rd different seller and they keep giving me the wrong size...

I can't find spec size in any manual, and went to Honda dealer they said they no longer make this part...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    849.9 KB · Views: 195
Why do you think they are the wrong size? Are you assuming they will just slide in by hand? Fork seals are press fit so they are slightly larger than the recess you are putting them in, making it necessary to tap them into place. Go to harbor freight and buy an impact socket that is about the diameter of the seal. Or go buy a PVC pipe with the same methodology. Freeze the seal overnight to shrink it, add a little grease to the outside of the seal, put it in place and tap tap tap it down into the seat evenly with the socket.

I bet you have bought the right seal set three times but if you want to try again...

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-suspension-parts-31mm-fork-seals-16-1009.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

or go to your local auto parts store and borrow a seal driver kit

My local Honda dealer...$7.82 each. Might call them just to be absolutely sure. But I never had a problem and every thing I order has been brand new Honda in the packaging.

PART # 30 on the fiche.

http://www.sportlandmotorsports.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2448228&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1972&fveh=131021

They will ship to your door.

There are a few different size seals for the 160/175/200 and one is not available without a lot of digging. What is the diameter of your fork legs and what is the bore in the slider where the seal fits? And what sizes have you bought?

There are two common seals 31 x 41 x 8 and 31 x 43 x 8.

CB160 and early 175 use the 43 OD and later alloy legs use the 41 OD. Most of the 41's are superceded or no longer available but we found 91255-464-004 seem to do the job

Thank you so much for all the help!

31MM ID X 43MM OD X 10.3MM H FORK SEAL SET
-were the ones I've ordered but they did not fit.

They are significantly larger than the oem fork seals I took off to replace.
I don't have calipers but I'm assuming the "43" is the part that's too large

That would be correct. They were listed as NLA many years ago so I searched for 31-43-10 and that's when we came up with 91255-464-004

Check them out on line or at your local Honda dealer.

So after waiting a week, seals came

Confirmed -31x41 Fits

but I think I had 31x41x9 and kinda ruined them trying to drive them down! What a disaster, i think the 9mm is too high because I couldn't get it down enough to get the circlip seated enough...

So what website is best for ordering parts online where I can get the correct 31x41x8mm Seals or is that 91255-464-004 because ive tried searching online a bit and cant find them. Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom