5ivemoto barn to Grand Canyon build thread

The cb160 frame was in fair shape but we wanted to de tab everything and build it bac as clean and minimal as possible

Here we are trying to fab up a batt and electronics box. If slim and sleek was the goal we missed it by inches on the first try. We since slimmed it up nicely

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    865.4 KB · Views: 304
5ivemoto said:
Finally here's the xs360. Found in Austin and someone had a go at making something out of it but got to wiring and gave up or sum bull.
That daytona seat doesn't look at home on there.

1fasgsxr I wouldn't call them finished and I def don't want to seem like we're hiding anything. I think I made it clear that we started around feb and have been going since. The xs is pretty close its in wiring now. The cb has fired since the re build but need some pretty extensive tweaking. The cb160 started wiring on Sunday this week.

Honestly I'm super shocked by all the negativity I'm seeing in here already. Just want to share our journey with like minded individuals

5ivemoto said:
Honestly I'm super shocked by all the negativity I'm seeing in here already. Just want to share our journey with like minded individuals

It sounds like you're much further along than many of us thought (speaking for myself). Not trying to be negative, just realistic. But it also sounds like you're much further ahead in the game than your initial post made it sound. Definitely pulling for you guys to make the trip, and the deadline :)

Where was I... Engine out of the cb 750, and cleaned up a bit. This thing was dirt dobber city. And compression numbers seemed low but pretty uniform. And it ran like crap when we got wires it but it ran so I rolled the dice here and decided the cylinders were good..enough.

And I've always loved this tank so I decided I'd do what it took to make it work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    838.5 KB · Views: 293
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    916.4 KB · Views: 278
5ivemoto said:
The Pistons were stuck but good. I think this method of piston freeing is under the don't try at home heading. I saw a guy do it on a vw powered dune buggy when I was a kid. And I figured it was bad enough to where I had nothing to lose

Did the fire work?

yes you made it sound like you was just starting on these bikes...you said as of right now they are not titled so thats why I said that about getting proper paperwork for them...it is the end of July...lol..best of luck to you...I have seen guys come on here and act like they are just starting a build and post up 6 months worth of work on the 1st day...no disrespect meant..I have been working on mine for years and cant seem to finish it ;D

Yea were a good ways down the road. Like 36 weeks in. When we committed to the trip and request our vacation we had like 5 1/2 months and it seemed reasonable but tight. It's much tighter than we though.

And hey there's still a good chance we don't make it ha.

We've started the paperwork to get titles which in Texas doesn't seem so bad. The best route seems to be to take the assembled bike to an inspection station so they can verify our vins then we apply for a title. And all these bikes are old and not on record so the most the dmv can tell us is they're not stolen. Phew.

The hope is to get the vins verified fri. But mon may be more likely

We've been slaving on these B's we've got the sweat equity in them.

Getting really excited about possible routes. If anybody out there is from the New Mexico Arizona area south of 40 we'd love any input.

This is a road I found while I should of been working. Not mad at it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 757
Here's the tank and frame rails and the dime city hoop on the cb. Shaping up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 755
Here's a pic of a fat guy on a 160 that, yes will def hate keeping up with the bigger bikes. But he insists his superior riding ability and charisma will have him at the front of the pack. We've also got the clip ons put on and a coat of rattle can that we later decided to ditch. We had to cut up the shrouds on the forks to get clean fitment but we were all really happy with how they turned out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 269
Habanero52 yes the fire worked! Freed up the Pistons. Buuuuuut it didn't however have any real compression once we got it back together so kinda a moot point. We ended up sending the 160 out to the machine shop for a +1 and a fresh set of seals while they were in there

So here's a bit of advice. We found zero hoops that fit such a small frame bike but if you get the small cc hoop from dime measure twenty times and cut and slug it. It will fit. Pretty nicely too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 801
When we first set out on this we didn't have any lifts. But then this....

We all bought the cheap HF ones and have been very pleased. Really takes the strain outta allot of this stuff

Notice the custom screwdriver mod instead of shock bolts. We do it right

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 888
One more post today cause I've been ignoring work all morning and I think it's getting noticed

In the interest of full disclosure here's a pick of the 160 from last night. We're hoping to get into roller status after work.

Love the wrapped scramblers on it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 263
Canyoncarver! We are looking at luna lake for a possible campsite as well as jakes corner bar. Any advice about that? Also from google earth it seems like south of 40 is the better riding does that sound right?? And I think we've found gas up spots all along the route but who knows how current the internet info is.

Just any in general advice or cool places to grab a beer or camp would be much appreciated

Ok, where in W. Tex? Either way, yes, south of I40 is some good mountain riding. The better part is probably west of I25.

For instance, coming out of Texas through Clovis, NM I'd head 70 to Roswell, at Hondo, go 380 to Lincoln and Carrizozo and on to San Antonio,NM. From there a short hop N I25 to Socorro and head west on 60 to Datil where I'd jump on the 12 and head through Reserve. I might be camping there in Reserve myself at the end of August.

Goto maps.google.com and punch in Clovis,NM to Luna Lake, AZ and take the "via 380" route. Remember that you'll be going through some big elevation changes on those old carbs. If you are dialed in you should be fine for most of the trip but you'll run a bit rich through the Gila Mountains. Should be plenty of fuel, booze, and campsites along the way.

Shortcut to the map I'm talking about: https://goo.gl/4AkPlb

Canyoncarver that's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. We are leaving from Abilene tx and we plan on crossing over in Clovis the debate has been weather to head towards Albuquerque or go further south. But it seems like you are saying south is the way to go. Are there any special rules for camping on the reservations? Is that what is meant when you say reserve?

Do you think there's any chance of trouble or anyplace we may want to stay away from?

I'll check out your route after work when I have time to really get into it.

Thanks!

Might as well sneak another pic in as long as I'm abandoning my work duties.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 272
Back
Top Bottom