How To: Title a motorcycle in Dallas, TX with only a Bill of Sale

TheProspector

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but since it was TX specific, I thought here was good? Let me know if I should move it since it's not a "meet up" or anything...

I recently went through this process, so I thought I'd share with anyone that would want to know about this while it was still fresh in my head. I live in Dallas county, so the places you have to go might differ, but the process should generally be the same throughout TX. Info is also found here: http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles/bonded.htm. You might want to take the morning off work to get this done. You'll be driving to 3 different places.

Step 1: Make sure you have your Bill of Sale that you received when you purchased your motorcycle. Included on it should be the date of purchase, purchase price, make, model, year, VIN #, mileage, seller name/sig, your name/sig...

Step 2: (Not sure if this is necessary, but I did it just in case and it sounds like a good idea) Make a pencil rubbing of your VIN# on the BOS. I did both the stamped VIN on the frame as well as the VIN that was on the ID plate on the head tube. This way I would have everything on one sheet to prove ownership.

Step 3: Take your Bill of Sale to the Regional TX Dept of Motor Vehicles office. This might differ from your normal county tax collector's office (which is where you handle most title/tag issues and payments). In Dallas County, this regional office is in Carrollton.

1925 E. Beltline Rd, Suite 100
Carrollton, TX 7500
(972) 417-0884

There the agent will give you some paperwork to fill out. Fill it out, hand back to the agent. They will type up an application for title rejection letter. This is standard I believe. The letter states that basically you have 1 year from the date of this letter to purchase a surety bond. This surety bond I believe is to protect any 3rd parties that might have interest in the vehicle and to help prove ownership. It's vague to me, but you just have to do it to get your bonded title... Your work at the regional office is done.

Step 4: Take ALL paperwork that you have (letter, forms, BOS, etc) to a surety bond agency. I did some calling around, but the cheapest I found was at Jackie's TX Auto Title. The bond was for $6,000 and cost me $150. $6k is a standard amount for vehicles over 25 years old and has nothing to do with the purchase price on your BOS...

Jackie's TX Auto Title
6261 Lake June Rd
Dallas, TX 75217
(214) 309-3737

It's a funny little title agency, but they are VERY nice and helpful people. Purchase the surety bond. Note: you have 1 month from the time you purchase your bond to title your vehicle with it. All of these steps are best done in one day so you don't forget anything or what you have to do. Your work at bond agency is done.

Step 5: Take ALL paperwork (bond, BOS, forms) to your County Tax Office. In Dallas County, this is downtown.

John R. Ames
500 Elm St.
Dallas, TX 75202
(214) 652-7811

I was ONLY getting the bike titled at this point, since I'm still working on it. I'll order plates for it later, so if you need plates at this time as well, you will need to have had it inspected as well as insurance on it. If you only want the title at this time, you don't need either of those things. The title ended up costing me I think $48 and arrived in 2-3 weeks.

I hope this will be helpful to anyone that's purchased a bike with only a BOS or is looking to do so. I can't speak for other states, but in TX the process is fairly easy, just a little time consuming. Total spent was just under $200 to have a titled bike. Even if you decide you want to sell it, it'll be much more desirable to a potential buyer with a title... I know that buying a vehicle without the title can be a iffy venture, so please take this for what it is, just sharing my experience as I know several people that have asked me about how to do it.

Take care, Justin

Was just having a conversation today about these difficulties with seasoned motorcycle friend, and he was warning against even buying a project bike for the reasons of 'pain in rear' levels being so high trying to get a lost title fixed. Thanks for at least making it sound a little more do-able. I have my eye on my first project bike, and am getting eager!! Seeing so many Honda CB rebuilds, I think I might focus on a Kawasaki kz1000 rebuild. Seeing a '79 kz1000 on CL right now w/o title for $1200. Any advice? Ready to join the Cafe club.

Back
Top Bottom