1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (1000 miles and more)

Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star barn find restoration

I finally found a couple of hours free time, so I laced my front and rear hubs.

The front 190mm brake took quite a while to lace while the rear quick detach hub was dead simple and quick.

The front hub:

The Buchanan spoke kit consisted of 40 spokes, 20 interior and 20 exterior spokes. The BSA factory parts manual shows the same part number 42-5552 for all 40 spokes. Each nipple was lubricated inside and where it meets the rim to prevent future galling. This is an alloy Excel WM2 19" flanged (shouldered) rim.

The interior spokes (end showing to the outside) are obtuse and the exterior spokes (ends to the inside) are 90 degrees.

_MG_6109-Version2.jpg

(top) exterior spoke 90 degrees
(bottom) interior spoke obtuse angle

Buchanan Spoke and Rim marked the rim making it easy to identify the right and left side of the front rim.
_MG_6096-Version2.jpg

The interior spokes went in first on the right hand (brake plate) side with the spokes pointing forward in the direction of travel as per original. Everything was placed on a large piece of foam to protect the paint and rim.

_MG_6106-Version2.jpg

I flipped the wheel and laced the left hand side (drum side) interior spoke going the opposite (towards the rear) direction.

_MG_6111-Version2.jpg

Next were the exterior spokes on the left side. They were a tight fit and it was necessary to remove the drum ring from its plate in order to get the spokes in. The angle was difficult and I need to use a punch in order to get the spokes to sit in their seats. The right hand exterior spokes went in easier. I left all the spokes loosely laced .

_MG_6116-Version2.jpg

The rear hub.

IMG_5391-Version2-1.jpg

Chomp.

The BSA rear quick detach hub has 40 identical straight spokes and could not be easier to lace. I did one side and the other, following photographs of my original wheel. This is an alloy Excel WM3 19" flanged (shouldered) rim.

_MG_6117-Version2-1.jpg

_MG_6118-Version2.jpg

_MG_6121-Version2-1.jpg

Done.

I am going to mock the wheels up on my frame this weekend so I can determine my offsets and then true my wheels. DO NOT FORGET to measure the offsets of your original wheels like I did!

A short update:

After two weeks of intense work demands I finally got a chance to work on my Goldie. (I missed my girl!) I mounted the loosely laced front hub to work out my offsets.

_MG_6129-Version2.jpg

The rim was centered between my front forks. The offsets from the rim CENTER (not the sides of the rim since they will vary from brand and style) are:

2.043" drum side (left)
2.461" brake side (right)

2.542" WM2 Excel flanged rim width
4.800" distance between forks

I transferred the hub to my fancy new truing stand and brought it to truth. Previously I trued my rims on an old swing arm in a vise. A truing stand is sooooo much nicer to work with. Next, I'll figure the offsets for my rear rim in line with my front wheel and true it. Then the front wheel and drum will be turned by a local machine shop, I'll mount the tire and have another shop balance it.

_MG_6193-Version2.jpg

As anxious and excited as I am to make my bike a rolling chassis, I am going to be patient while I gather and prep all the hardware to be cad plated. Once the brake hardware is cad plated I'll send the brake plate to Vintage Brake for new brake pads and arched to match the specs of my freshly turned drum. There is much like and dislike for the 190mm brake, but with a true, round drum and matching new modern compound brake pads I should get some stopping power out of it. I still have a BSA 8" front drum if I decide to switch.

IMG_5038.jpg

Before: dusty, rusty and crusty.

Another busy weekend so more updates next week.

This thread is fantastic so far, I love it... great work!
-slice

I get so excited when this thread moves to the top of the list. Makes me feel like a little kid with a awesome picture book!

Can't wait for more!

Cool build...... lots of detail 8) 8) 8) .....

Flugtechnik said:

wow is right. I'm not sure I'd want that needle indicator that close to my painted brake plate unless I was confident it was not going to hit. I'm guessing you've had a few passes at it by the time the pic was taken ;)

nice work so far. Going to be a great bike by the looks of it.

cheers
ian

Now THAT is a truing stand! Where did you buy it?

Thanks all! Back after a few days in the woods and off the grid for some well deserved time off.

I have previously trued rims on my frame and with a old swing arm in a vise with acceptable results. I bought the truing stand off E-bay from Sportingforless and love it. They do not have it listed on their web store, but there are several on e-bay from various sellers at a wide range of prices. Truing rims is one of my favorite parts of any build, but with a new stand it is so much easier. On to the rear wheel tomorrow night...

Well, it ain't much but I made a couple hours of progress.
_MG_6315-Version2.jpg

With the front rim laced and trued, I mocked up the rear rim and as per advice from senior Gold Star owners on the Britbike forum, used straight edges to determine the offsets of my rear rim in line with my front. Two 5" lengths of steel channel bar were clamped to the front rim (with spacers to make up the difference between my WM2 rim front to the wider WM3 rim rear) to align the edges and center of my rear rim.
_MG_6317-Version2.jpg

I then started tightening up the spokes once I determined the correct offset. I will finish it on my fancy new truing stand. My front rim is true to .003" radially and axially, excluding the "hump" where the rim is joined during manufacture.

That's it until next week, stay tuned...

Right on man that's some sweet stuff! ;D

It's great to see another BSA on here. Your Goldie is everything my little C11G wants to be when she grows up!

Thanks guys!

You're attention to detail is amazing! I can't wait to see it complete!

That is a absolute gem!!! fantastic work!

had to steal my son's bib to wipe the drool away! my god thats amazing! excellent work. you got my full undivided attention on this one

Nice job on the truing, .003" Do you find they hold true, do you have to touch them up after running them for a bit? I would expect some settling? How do you get the tension equal?
Cheers, 50gary

Thanks again everyone for your nice words! I wish I could work on my Goldie full-time, but a very busy work schedule and an out of state girlfriend get in the way of my fun. I'll post more next week.

The front rim is as true as I can get it and is going to a machinist this week to lathe turn the inside drum. I'll double check for truth, tweek, mount tire and have another shop dynamically balance it on their machine. I did the same for my Buchanan spokes and rims on my Triton and they have held true for more than 3500 miles. I do check my wheels after 50 miles of shakedown and have never had anything terribly out of truth. Do it right the first time and you will not have to do it again.

The front brake plate and shoes are going to www.vintagebrake.com to be relined with modern brake compound and arched on their lathe to match my freshly turned front drum. This will provide more stopping power than when it left the factory.

DSCN6423.jpg

Ye Olde Triton

Back
Top Bottom