1970 Greeves Griffon *VIDEO ADDED* With Questions

johnu said:
Not fixed! I think the carb body is worn out. Last time I started the bike it started ok but as soon as I revved it a bit it when full bore and I couldn't shut it off, I had to pull the plug cap off. I coudl put a Mk2 amal on it or a 32mm Mikuni but the bike is up for sale right now as my plans have changed so I won't be racing it.
oh don't sell it! We can race each other in our 60's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnu said:
I tried that Richard but it made no difference. I was told that those Mk1 amals have been know to have a smaller hole in the actual casting than the pilot jet itself. I can't really believe that though as the bike had obviously been running on this carb for the last 30 odd years.

Try a Monobloc.....

Original Concentrics were known to have some problems including rapid wear. It might be an idea to borrow a known good carb just to eliminate one variable. Or see if it's possible to drill/ream out that small opening with suitable micro drill bit. It's been far too long since I last played with AMAL carbs. They are fairly basic and usually easy to get right. Last time I ran some I was using 800 (ish) jets and Z needles on alcohol on a T120.

I found this http://www.jba.bc.ca/Bushmans%20Carb%20Tuning.html might help.

teazer said:
Try a Monobloc.....

Original Concentrics were known to have some problems including rapid wear. It might be an idea to borrow a known good carb just to eliminate one variable. Or see if it's possible to drill/ream out that small opening with suitable micro drill bit. It's been far too long since I last played with AMAL carbs. They are fairly basic and usually easy to get right. Last time I ran some I was using 800 (ish) jets and Z needles on alcohol on a T120.

I found this http://www.jba.bc.ca/Bushmans%20Carb%20Tuning.html might help.
Thanks for the article I like it! I will go through the carb once more and check that pilot drilling.

Texasstar said:
oh don't sell it! We can race each other in our 60's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh I don't plan on quitting racing anytime soon! Just don't have the time to race vintage MX. Next year I plan on racing the Baja 1000 then the following year Pikes Peak hillclimb which are both huge commitments. I'm also going to do select Supermoto races as well. The bike would just sit in shop gathering dust along with a few others so hopefully it will go to someone who will get out there and race it.

Back
Top Bottom