1971 Honda CB350 Restore/Tune-up

xb33bsa said:
did you cable synch the butterflies ? as i described

No I forgot! :(
Well before I took the carbs off I did a bench sync method I learned from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoNOPRrc7OI
I did this bench sync with the carbs still on the bike. I have not done the throttle cable sync before.
I'll use this video unless you think there is something wrong with it...

its a good video not same way eye doit instead of just watching for them to move up off the idle sapeed screw i like to use a gauge like =2 popsicle sticks that are measured to be the same
and plced excactly centered and on edge so the butterfys trap them then as to open throttle(you want to take most all slack out at the grip when doing this)
when throttle opens the both fall out of place same time

I'm trying to sync the throttle cables. The cable has enough slack so the throttle screw should hit the stop but it doesn't. It gets close then I have to manually press it down. What can I do about this?

jdesignerw said:
I'm trying to sync the throttle cables. The cable has enough slack so the throttle screw should hit the stop but it doesn't. It gets close then I have to manually press it down. What can I do about this?
sounds like a mechanical issue with the throotle shaft binding or the throttle butterfly out of place i would have the carb on the bench and try to observe if any of it is not turning concentrically also the throttle plate should be centered shine a light and peer through the other end looking for uneven gaps

It's been a while since I've posted...

The bike is running and I've been riding it periodically. Took some work to figure out why I wasn't getting enough power. Ended up replacing the fuel lines and get some help syncing carbs and throttle cables. There is a slow oil leak that I want to repair. The vibration from riding has probably cracked/loosened a gasket. I want to completely replace every gasket on the engine too.

I met a guy who owns a few CB350s. He was able to point out a bunch of stuff on my bike that isn't true to the year. For instance the taillight and headlight is for a 72 CB350. So I think I may replace that. I'm trying to decide whether to restore it to original or turn it into a cafe racer.

In the short term, I'm going to replace the front fender. It's not correct. I bought a new fender a little while ago I just haven't gotten around to installing it. I also want to buy new handle bars. The current ones are tracker style. I think I want superbike bars.

the way a handlebar looks should not be the number one decider
and in direct relation to how well a handlebar functions in its ability to give you optimum control, comfort,and a natural feel ,in direct relation is the riders footrests, bottom line is for they cb350 they need to be moved back and up a bit
whatever you do dont lower the seat ,higher is better...... i am talking about actually riding
remember it was designed by orientals in the 60's and frankly they were still graspin g at what the american market wanted it was only the american 350's that had taller bars in europe they had bmw bars
the height of the stock bars is fine but they pull back too much just shaped wrong
being designed by orientals is why it does not fit very well the average taller american
the position of the stocks pegs is too far forward becomes worse by lowering the seat and or handlebars
the only way to address that is move them back a bit not back to the pass peg local; that is too far its the lazy way to do it wrong
the rider if they want control must be riding with significant relaxed bend at the shoulders elbows and wrists
this pure fact you get on a bike and its a reach and your arms are even kinda stretched out anywhere near locked straight you are loosing function and control .......ok thats 90% of the harleys ,the poser ones,buteye digress
somewhere online is an active ergonomics calculater deal look it up and plog in some measurements
or do like most do ignore the bars function and just get the style that looks best on instaeightball

as far as tailights the later cb units were huge, the early cb much cooler still quite visible with a good incandecent bub
if riding much in city traffic please for your own safety dont make the tailight LESS visible to the textican following you too close in a 3k rollingpin
its a disturbing trend lots of hapless fools moving tailights out of view and justify with "but its an led" which means its even less visible in daylight, thats all

Back
Top Bottom