1973 CB450 barn find

flashgolly

Well in short, I worked building two gates in someone's yard and traded my labor for a motorcycle. I had never ridden on these wonderful machines before, and my mechanical knowledge was limited to putzing around with a 1969 VW Bug.

After talking the deal over with the gentleman, we agreed on roughly estimated price of $500 (worth of my labor) for me to take this sweet find home. I started to work on the gates, and at some point before my finishing, I asked my buddy if he had some spare time with his truck, so we loaded her up with a couple tie down straps, and drove back to my place. The P.O. lovingly put a couple coats of thick wax all over the body, and to my surprise, I rubbed several parts of the motorcycle (side covers, tailpipes, rims) and with very minimal pressure, the original shine was back on the bike!

Photo634.jpg

This is the very same day that I brought her home.

1b5fbbb4.jpg

560 original miles -- for serious, no broken speedo cables!

When I opened the tank, I was distraught as the P.O. had not emptied the tank, and it was LITERALLY filled to the brim with rust. So I searched around on eBay, found a 1974 tank which I picked up for 30 bucks with minimal surface rust. One Yamalube tank treatment later, the tank was looking very good (not perfect, but definitely workable). Petcock was next, and since the main line was disintegrated, I ordered one from DCC only to find out they were out of stock until their suppliers in Japan felt like making the next batch (literally word-for-word). Nothing bad about DCC, they were wonderfully quick in response and apology, and I understood that there was nothing they could do. Therefore, I ran over to the local Honda motoshop and picked up a replacement there for slightly more cash.

Next, I removed the carbs, took them apart and cleaned them, and then put them back on. The starter solenoid/relay was next to be taken off, used some electrical contact cleaner and cleaned it out to the best of my ability. After going through the rest of the electrical system, I decided that now would be an appropriate time to pick up a new battery. The battery install went without a hitch (as if I expected THAT to be the difficult part :p ).

I then went on to do simple maintenance stuffs here and there: points, condenser, oil change (which by the way, dumb mistake, but I mistakingly picked up ATV fluid since the bottles are EXACTLY the same at autozone, just with a quad on front vs. a motorcycle). Then I was finally ready to mentally prepare for starting her up!

I jumped at the opportunity and after one or two times of pressing the start button, she started and BOY did she start! I was one of the most proud 21 year old men that the world could find at that very moment. I brought back a bike from 20+ years of sitting in a garage! YAY!

Since I knew nothing about motorcycles, I learned that I had to sync the carbs, but I did not own a carb sync kit, nor did I have money to invest in one. So, I did my best to wing it, had to play around with the float levels using the old credit card DIY float gauge and proceeded to tune the carbs and such.

Failing moment: I was giddy about my father coming down to visit from Northern California, and just an hour before he showed up, I was still trying to lower the idle down from the 2300-2500 range when I heard a strange clicking noise from the front of the bike. I quickly learned that my started had engaged and attempted to shut off the bike.

Killswitch first - nothing.
Turn the key to the off position - nothing.
Remove the key - nothing.
Run to the shed to get a wrench to take off the battery - bike starting to die.

As I was undoing the cable to the battery, she kicked the last cell -- My battery had boiled and I was sad.

It was then that I was so distraught and college-poor that I parked her for the winter, and have only recently saved enough money to buy a new battery, solenoid, and gain enough courage to start again.

With a winter of searching the DTT forum, I have realized there are some other things I should do before starting the old bird up again such as setting the valve clearance and stuff. If any of you have any suggestions, I would love to take anything from anyone!

Well this is my first go at a forum post and I hope that I can keep up with it, and gain knowledge from the DTT community!

Much love,

Kevin

sounds like a excellent bike dude! with that many miles keep her stock! if the tank is rusty I know its kinda pricey but POR 15 works wonders on a rusty gas tank.

I really do intend on keeping her stock, restoring her to her old beauty.. The gentleman I "bought" her from passed away recently too, and that is inspiring me more to keep her stock in his honor.. Although I really would like to cafe-out another honda, possibly a 360.. light and tight.

On the note with the sad passing of the P.O. any ideas on getting a title in CA? He could not find the title before he passed, and I essentially have no paperwork on the bike..

ATV oil and Motorcycle oil are exactly the same. Both designed ofr wet clutch, no worries on that. Nice find. My father in law works for an oil company and they put the same oil in both the ATV bottles and the motorcycle bottles. Just charge more for the bike specific.

Well, here is an update:

Installed the new AGM battery (which is working out fantastically, and it was super cheap), new solenoid, and got a rebuild kit for my master cylinder.

Everything looks great as far as the electrical system goes. I did run into a problem with the solenoid connectors not being *quite* as compatible as I would have liked them to be, although they were persuaded via needle nose pliers. The battery even came with an almost full charge in the mail.

Now comes the bad news: I rebuild the master cylinder, and everything was checking out wonderfully -- the piston was freely moving, I was getting pressure through the system, and nothing seemed to be wrong. However, when I put the MC on, I found that the brake lines were gummed up. So I went through the process of cleaning up the lines, and they were open, but when I looked again at the master cylinder, the piston boot seemed to be excreting some brake fluid. So I took off the MC, and checked everything over, there were no tears in any of the rubber pieces, and everything was fitting fine. I put the thing back together, and tested it out again. Now a new problem popped up, the piston stuck in the depressed position and I was still getting seepage from the piston boot.

I decided that since it was late and I was wearing what Catbird and Jewbacca referred to as the "Dot-3 necklace", I would try to pop the MC back on and at least try and bleed the system to get pressure back to the brakes. It worked, but I still have to deal with the leak, and the sticking piston. Any ideas?

In other news, as soon as I get off this post, I'm going to get some work clothes on and adjust the valves to see if I can get the idle down from 4k.

Much love

I still can't believe how cherry that bike is going to be. You're going to need a much rattier project when it's done!

flashgolly said:
Well, here is an update:

Installed the new AGM battery (which is working out fantastically, and it was super cheap), new solenoid, and got a rebuild kit for my master cylinder.

Everything looks great as far as the electrical system goes. I did run into a problem with the solenoid connectors not being *quite* as compatible as I would have liked them to be, although they were persuaded via needle nose pliers. The battery even came with an almost full charge in the mail.

Now comes the bad news: I rebuild the master cylinder, and everything was checking out wonderfully -- the piston was freely moving, I was getting pressure through the system, and nothing seemed to be wrong. However, when I put the MC on, I found that the brake lines were gummed up. So I went through the process of cleaning up the lines, and they were open, but when I looked again at the master cylinder, the piston boot seemed to be excreting some brake fluid. So I took off the MC, and checked everything over, there were no tears in any of the rubber pieces, and everything was fitting fine. I put the thing back together, and tested it out again. Now a new problem popped up, the piston stuck in the depressed position and I was still getting seepage from the piston boot.

I decided that since it was late and I was wearing what Catbird and Jewbacca referred to as the "Dot-3 necklace", I would try to pop the MC back on and at least try and bleed the system to get pressure back to the brakes. It worked, but I still have to deal with the leak, and the sticking piston. Any ideas?

In other news, as soon as I get off this post, I'm going to get some work clothes on and adjust the valves to see if I can get the idle down from 4k.

Much love

Hey man that bike looks to be in pristine condition super sweet find!

My first bike is also a 74' CB450K7 and I have definitely learned a lot wrenching on my bike the last few months.

In regards to the MC rebuild I don't know too much as I havent needed to rebuild mine yet but one thing you will definitely need to look out for is the actual brake piston down in the caliper to make sure there aren't any serious pits in it, and to also double check the piston seal in the caliper
it may look really good but may be actually hindering the piston from moving smoothly.

For the high idle you really need to make sure your carbs are scrupulously clean and the correct float level is also important since these are CV carbs. Your high idle problem to me definitely sounds like a carb synch issue. You have to make sure the throttle plates for both carbs are at the same position and are opening up at the same time and position when you twist the throttle. Also, if you adjust the air/fuel screw or the idle stop screw on either carb and it's not affecting the idle at all then you either have a vacuum leak somewhere in the carb or at the intake boot or your carbs need more cleaning because some passages still may be clogged.**Oh and for your high idle it may be something as simple as your clutch cable hanging up one of the throttle cables on your carbs causing the high idle so that'd be an easy first check ;)

In regards to adjusting the valves make sure that when you adjust the the cam followers with the screwdriver there will be a small little notch identifying mark, make sure that when you set the clearance the notch should be pointing away from the spark plug. Just ask me how I know ;D

When you do the adjust the valve clearance you'll also want to make sure the timing is spot on, and when you adjust the cam chain you want to make sure you hear/feel the plunger working if not you'll have to take it off, disassemble it, and lube it but that is super easy.

If you haven't head over to hondatwins as there is a lot of knowledge and stuff to read out there about the 450.

Back
Top Bottom