1978 xs400 resto mod

lude

my name is andrew, im from Nova Scotia Canada, not my first time around with bikes, but just found this forum, have been on tcu for years if any of you recognized the user name

so heres the story, i put a add on my local classified looking for a project bike, with an xs in mind, i get an email.from a guy the next province over, says i have a low milage bike, good shape, then gives me his number, nothing else, so i say what the hell. i drive to see it, thinking im going to find this rusty pile of metal thats gonna need alot of loving. i get there, and i see this metal flake purple 78, with nice paint, seat that looks new, decent chrome, and 8,000 original kilometers. (~5000 miles) megs front and rear disks, none running,
IMG_0002.jpg

so i take it home, try to throw a battery in it, and its 8 kinds of not right under the seat.
i threw a battery in, no starter motor, and no spark, jump the solenoid. starter worked.
IMG_0817.jpg

so at this point, im really scratching my head, pulling out the multimeter on everything, agreed it was smartest to replace the mess of a fuse "box" and atleast start with a clean slate, i found this 4 slot fuse box at a local store for 5 bucks, wired it up, trying to make it look as original as i can,
IMG_0818-1.jpg

and now i have spark, and starter motor, and less of a ratsnest under my seat.

as for plans, get it running first. carbs need to be rebuilt forsure,might replace them with mikuni vm34s might not, engine is still really tight so i dont think ill be into that anytime soon,

then some super bike bars, smaller signal lights, bar end mirrors. beefier oldschool looking tires, maybe a nice blue paint job maybe keep the purple. i know some of you will say keep it original but i cant even ride with the stock bars, and it didnt come with rear signals. and the stock mirrors i think everyone will admit are just ugly. its gonna be a slow one, but ill keep it updated.

and just for shits and giggles, my first love, my cb400
IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

That's some kind of luck man. Nova Scotia, I'd love to make a trip there in my lifetime. Kinda like the motherland so to speak.

clem said:
That's some kind of luck man. Nova Scotia, I'd love to make a trip there in my lifetime. Kinda like the motherland so to speak.

its nice here, rains alot though.. but you can find anything your looking for, plains, mountains, ocean, lakes, vallys farm land, pretty big city, its alittle mix of everything here, and its pretty cool to live here

today i got my new bars, super bikes, they make it look like a new bike to me, i love it with them,

IMG_0371-1.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

Man, I would leave it just like that! It's too nice to chop up too much. Maybe some bullet turn signals or something.
And carbs...I guess you'll need carbs. ;)

scott s said:
Man, I would leave it just like that! It's too nice to chop up too much. Maybe some bullet turn signals or something.
And carbs...I guess you'll need carbs. ;)

thats more or less my plan, one bar end mirror, small signals, and mikuni vms if i can find them, then paint, and thats about it,

so no vms, i got a set of 82 carbs for a good price that work good, so for the first time since i got it, she runs and runs good no pics considering nothing cosmetic changed yet, but the tank and side panals are about to get painted, and maybe the frame powder coated, and a surprise for the motor

Back
Top Bottom