1979 CB750 DOHC Monoshock Build

Id have an easier time listening to the arguments against the switches if a certain member could speak like an adult...just saying.

I will agree though that switching to a steel bar would be beneficial to you. The extra tensile strength and malleability over tempered aluminum would be preferable.

Jeez, for my sake if only we could've had this discussion beforehand. Yeah a definitely agree a Ø19mm cutout is a bit big for a Ø22mm aluminum bar. I'm not an engineer but I was previously an architectural designer -- from what I remember through working with engineers, circular cutouts do not affect structure as much one might think. I do feel like they would be completely fine on a stainless bar rather than aluminum. I've tried bending these and they're still stiff as hell. The worry is developing stress fractures that could lead to the bars snapping.

It would've been nice if someone made it clip on without the need to route wires through the bars. I'd be happy routing on the underside just out of view. I chose this switch as it's small, easy to look at and has all the functionality I need. Why does every other switch have to be so damn ugly.

Actually the more I think about it I could probably design and manufacture a better minimalist clip-on type mini-switch. Wonder if there's interest in such a thing...

Jboogie13 said:
Id have an easier time listening to the arguments against the switches if a certain member could speak like an adult...just saying.

I will agree though that switching to a steel bar would be beneficial to you. The extra tensile strength and malleability over tempered aluminum would be preferable.
the alloy bars are actually stronger than steel by weight it is just a differnt animal
here let me explain like i would to a child so you can understand it
why dont they build those switches with tiny micro switches ,fine wires and a relay
BECAUSE THEY ARE STUPID FUCKERS

the alloy is just like the pressure sensitive packing tape you pull on it stretch it but you cant break it but pull on it and give it a prick with a sharp object and it snaps

bananas said:
Jeez, for my sake if only we could've had this discussion beforehand. Yeah a definitely agree a Ø19mm cutout is a bit big for a Ø22mm aluminum bar. I'm not an engineer but I was previously an architectural designer -- from what I remember through working with engineers, circular cutouts do not affect structure as much one might think. I do feel like they would be completely fine on a stainless bar rather than aluminum. I've tried bending these and they're still stiff as hell. The worry is developing stress fractures that could lead to the bars snapping.

It would've been nice if someone made it clip on without the need to route wires through the bars. I'd be happy routing on the underside just out of view. I chose this switch as it's small, easy to look at and has all the functionality I need. Why does every other switch have to be so damn ugly.

Actually the more I think about it I could probably design and manufacture a better minimalist clip-on type mini-switch. Wonder if there's interest in such a thing...

build the switch into the clutch perch ;)

xb33bsa said:
the alloy bars are actually stronger than steel by weight it is just a differnt animal
here let me explain like i would to a child so you can understand it
why dont they build those switches with tiny micro switches ,fine wires and a relay
BECAUSE THEY ARE STUPID FUCKERS

the alloy is just like the pressure sensitive packing tape you pull on it stretch it but you cant break it but pull on it and give it a prick with a sharp object and it snaps

I understand what you are attempting to say, and i know what stress risers are and how holes can affect tubes structure, however, the bending and flexing you keep referencing will effect the aluminum much more than a steel bar due to its succeptibility to work hardening. No need to be condescending, when you can hardly assemble a coherent sentence that doesnt include calling someone a fucking idiot, because they designed something you slightly disagree with. Whenever you post, any useful information is negated by the seemingly uncontrollable outburst of childish namecalling that accompanies it.

We're all adults here, so why not act like it?

Jboogie13 said:
I understand what you are attempting to say, and i know what stress risers are and how holes can affect tubes structure, however, the bending and flexing you keep referencing will effect the aluminum much more than a steel bar due to its succeptibility to work hardening. No need to be condescending, when you can hardly assemble a coherent sentence that doesnt include calling someone a fucking idiot, because they designed something you slightly disagree with. Whenever you post, any useful information is negated by the seemingly uncontrollable outburst of childish namecalling that accompanies it.

You are not understanding his technique for getting people to listen. He is perfectly capable of constructing sentences correctly and is not nearly the terrible speller that his online persona implies. I Can relate because at time I am a pure dick just to get an ear to listen. You gotta realize that there are more than a few ways to do things. He doesn't have to do it your way.

This is a motorcycle technical forum

XB has just provided a ton of info. Ignoring it because of a writing style is, well, ignorant.

Bars are trash throw em away.

DohcBikes said:
You are not understanding his technique for getting people to listen. He is perfectly capable of constructing sentences correctly and is not nearly the terrible speller that his online persona implies. I Can relate because at time I am a pure dick just to get an ear to listen. You gotta realize that there are more than a few ways to do things. He doesn't have to do it your way.

This is a motorcycle technical forum

XB has just provided a ton of info. Ignoring it because of a writing style is, well, ignorant.

Bars are trash throw em away.

Im sorry you feel that way. Carry on.

Jboogie13 said:

I'm with you on this one...not that it will stop it from happening. :(

If you give me the dimensions of the bar and where the hole is, I can 3D model it. With some estimated loading I can run the simulation through FEA software for sh1ts and giggles.
I will also be very surprised if if doesn't show catastrophic failure before ~700N load at the hand position.

That would be interesting. I say it will take greatly more force than that though. Bets? Not knowing the material characteristics will make it an iffy appraisal. Have to know the alloy and forming process/heat treat. Run the calc on a 1000 series alloy first which is weak to the point of uselessness - I bet it takes MORE than 150 lbs to fold (at that damn hole!). That real bar is a world stronger than pure aluminum. I think it reasonable to discount the shape and presume a straight tube fixed at the riser and load at the very end of the bar. Hole orientation will be an important factor so it would be good to run it in various positions.

Alex jb said:
If you give me the dimensions of the bar and where the hole is, I can 3D model it. With some estimated loading I can run the simulation through FEA software for sh1ts and giggles.
I will also be very surprised if if doesn't show catastrophic failure before ~700N load at the hand position.

HAHAHAHA.. this is awesome. I will get a dimensioned CAD drawing to you in a bit.

the only handlebar i have seen snapped off clean was when an IT490 yamaha ensued into a violent flying w tankslapper and spit me off and down a steep ravine whilst competing in the jackhammer enduro

bananas said:
HAHAHAHA.. this is awesome. I will get a dimensioned CAD drawing to you in a bit.

I'm totally interested to read about the outcome as well! I'm not vested either way, so as an impartial bystander, this whole thing is getting very entertaining!

jpmobius said:
That would be interesting. I say it will take greatly more force than that though. Bets? Not knowing the material characteristics will make it an iffy appraisal.

You are correct, CICO (crap in, crap out) applies to any analysis, but we recently stiffened a brake pedal on a material handler after seeing too much deflection under the EN1459 brake testing where 60Kg is the max force at the pedal head for an emergency stop.

Sorry guys, no updates in awhile. Business is doing terrible + a few other busy things. The shitty monoshock's gotten an update (stock GSX-R geometry). Will post photos soon.

Bananas, I have to give you kudos for the quality of your build and your good-natured persona. This has been an entertaining build and I'm excited for more.

Back
Top Bottom