DT100 Hipster Build (mantra: nobody is doing it)

plagrone said:
Just got some bark busters for my lil guy. The lady named him Hamlet, which is appropriate. Hammy the Yammy

Love this little bike. Do you know anything about potential top end swaps?

Awesome name for the bike, yours looks like it is in great shape too. How is yours for vibration?

I have been surprised at how easy mine has been to work with, it doesn't seem to be as fussy as other 2 strokes I have had.

I haven't looked into top end swaps very much, there are a lot of forums that talk about 125 to 175 swaps, but I haven't found much on these.

From everything I have read these guys make about 10 hp, the yz100s are supposed to make about 16 hp so I have been looking at the differences on them to see what intake, piston compression (the yz just uses a single ring piston which is probably not too reasonable for road), and exhaust swaps might do for me, even if they only take it half way that would mean 30% more power.

The first time the girlfriend got on it she enjoyed the tingles, then it quickly got old and now she complains every time she rides it. Says it hurts her hands. It doesn't bother me, but I'm used to handling unbalanced weed whackers for hours on end.

The grips are the only place it's noticeable though, I think some big old school grips would fix it.

Also, the autolube system on mine isn't connected to the carb or anything, only lubes the crank I think. I haven't done a ton of research and have just been running premix, but Ide like to get it set up properly. How is yours hooked up?

it should have a line to the intake port no autolube setups that i have ever seen lubed only the crank
if it is lubing the crank bearings as well there usually will be an oil line tube for that,that along with the one to intake port

Mine has a tube that I think is about 3.5 mm that goes up from the oil pump to a prong on the right hand side of the carb (between the carb and exhaust) it is on the exit side below where the starter valve set up is. I found a pic on ebay that shows it below.

Mine is the same on the vibration, I went with foam grips to help with this, I might also machine the top tree plate to accept some basic rubber bushing low profile handle bar mounts like the ones in the pic

Attachments

• carb side.JPG
    carb side.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,004
  • bar clamp.jpg
    bar clamp.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 953
plagrone said:
Also, the autolube system on mine isn't connected to the carb or anything, only lubes the crank I think. I haven't done a ton of research and have just been running premix, but Ide like to get it set up properly. How is yours hooked up?

I took a look at your picture and the tube inside the circle is the one that connects to the carb

Attachments

• PLAGRONE1.jpg
    PLAGRONE1.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 297
Redliner said:
There are more purpose-made devices available and they're much more convenient.

For power or vibration or both? I am not meaning this to be confrontational, I am really interested in any reasonable upgrade options on this machine and the vibration on this machine compared to a lot of the 115cc scooters that are on the market is pretty significant.

I am being 100% honest when I say that this has been the easiest, least fussy 2 stroke machine that I have ever worked with, it starts 2nd or 3rd kick in my 40 degree garage, last weekend my 11 year old nephew started it no problem in the cold.

With how well it has worked out so far I am pretty reluctant to do any modifications on the machine that aren't just a bolt on swap if I decide I want to go back

I mean for pleasant tingles ;D

Ok back to the topic, yeah the bikes are buzzy but it's mostly through the bars. It's tiring, so consider some original pop-bottle "fatty grips" like Rally replicas or foam. I bought some knock chubby grips from eBay for my CB350 which is only marginally less buzzy and they feel great. 15$US.

If you want that fantastically gay hipster look, try the fatty grips in semi-transparent coca cola brown.

It's a Yamaha, IMO the premier ring-a-ding makers. Suzuki make me wince.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417468062.539645.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417468062.539645.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 961
some lead bar end weights should help the vibration a bit
check all the motor mounts make sure they aint vibe-brated loose
check the exhaust springs at the flange
make sure the pipe is not rattlin' loose all rubbers mounts in good shape
the rubbers between the cooling fins help stop some vibration and help a lot on noise
make sure they are in place you can even add some more but mostly for the longer fins
check the crank bearing on the stator side,gently pry up and down,vigorously pull in/out on the flywheel see if it is loose/worn, if so this really ads to the vibe

PLAZACYCLEJOSH said:
I took a look at your picture and the tube inside the circle is the one that connects to the carb

That tube is connected to the oil tank and goes into the crank case. Could you take a picture of where yours connects to carb/oil tank?

I went with some parts unlimited foam grips like these ones, Biltwell has some pretty cool old school grips, I like their kung foo grips, I have been looking into those to see how much they help vibrations.

Attachments

• foam grip.jpg
    foam grip.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 322
  • KUNGFOO GRIP.jpg
    KUNGFOO GRIP.jpg
    675.1 KB · Views: 319
plagrone said:
That tube is connected to the oil tank and goes into the crank case. Could you take a picture of where yours connects to carb/oil tank?

I will be out there on Sunday I will take one for you then and have it posted next monday

Another option to deaden the vibes in your bars is to grab a few tubes of cheap silicon from your local hardware and fill the insides of the bars with it.

Yeah - sounds ghetto and cheap but it actually works.

I've never seen a Yamaha that fed into the carb. Always seen banjos on the jugs. Is that carb pictured above a typical type for certain years or models?

xb33bsa said:
look downstream of the reeds in the cylinder
it is the banjo right in front of your fuking eyes :)
GG073012a051.jpg

This is my first smoker. How the fuck am I to know it feeds into the cylinder. I haven't even taken the oil pump cover off. It's possible it's even been removed and plugged off. I've read other places that it feeds into the carb. Asshole. We haven't all been working on bikes since the fucking '60s

Honestly, thanks for the info, but do you have to be an asshole ALL of the time?

Redliner said:
You don't take a bit of ribbin well do you? Good luck ever working in a shop.

I've taken plenty of ribbing here and stuck around. Just not in the mood today. I've worked in a shop (on planes) for years, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom