Summerfest Slim and the Brat KZ650

S

Summerfest32

I scooped up a 1980 (or 81?) Kawi KZ650 off of CL two years ago. The PO labeled it as a bobber and I bought it with the potential that it had to become a bobber. However I LUCKILY never got around to hardtailing it. I started going to towards the cafe look, then recently decided on the happy medium of a bratstyle.
I rode it for a summer with it only being "good enough" on pretty much a bench synch. After that I started having more problems and my #3 cyl went dead...
Anyways, short story long, here's what i started with. I made a few adjustments recently just to get a feel for what to do.
DSCF0860.jpg

It had Renthal Motorcross handlebars from PO. I flipped them upside down to cop a feel.
DSCF0863.jpg

Well, lets see what I can do to make this a decent lil daily driver...

I have a question I've been dying to ask on the ton: Should I honestly keep the stock air box or dump it? Performance is more important than looks and I've heard that the wind/rain can wreak havoc on pod air filters. I love the look however. I just want to know I can pass a semi without the engine running lean from the wind... any input?

I have a Kawasaki Zephyr 550 and I was considering putting on pod filters as well. I also love the look of the pod filters! While I've never done it, I have been warned by many people to not do it... Apparently, it just become a carb jetting nightmare that if set up right, is great. But, if set up wrong, is a PITA.

That's my 2 cents. :)

It'll of course run better with the airbox. Tuning will be tougher with pods for sure, and you'll likely never get it 100%. If you don't like the look of the airbox, but don't want the hassle of pods, velocity stacks are your next best option. Carbs really benefit from the smooth airflow stacks provide (the airbox has stacks built into it).

I don't mind the look of the air box at all, pods just look a squidge better...

alright.
I need to get this thing on the road asap. it's sunny and 70 degrees here in Nor Cal. laid on a couple coats of paint, lowered it about 1 1/2 inches. I can still use the current handlebars... I'll eventually get clip ons and lower it another 1 1/2 inches... I found some sweet stitched leather at a flea market for $15/yd. I didn't even need the 1/2yd I bought. I made the seat with that and some left over siding material I got at home depot for 51 cents, I cut up a sleeping bag pad like so many builders do on other threads and then I dissected the couch in the background for the batting. I need to sync my carbs, get a new battery, clean up the wiring and install the brake light, get a new rear view, and get some new rubber. Since ya'll want an after pic, here is a good idea. I'm not 100% doen with the paint, I'm going to paint a white pinstripe where the copper and black meet, then clear coat it...
DSCF0900.jpg

I got rid of the copper seat lip. It was the inspiration for the paint though...
DSCF0922.jpg

DSCF0925.jpg

what do you all think?

So let me toss a fly into the soup.....

Normally I tell people to run the airbox if they are running stock carbs, however......
99% stock carbs on street bikes are CV style which use vacuum differential to operate the slides and hate hate HATE pod filters. In your case though, the stock carbs are mechanical and you should be able to run bods AND tune for them as well.

It's just CV carbs that have a problem with pods....

79 kz650 here with cheap emrgo pods
while its gonna take much more fiddling... i have been solid..

Back
Top Bottom