'71 CB100/125 (the un scooter)

I finally think I am done with changes for this season. I found some HONDA lower tank badges on ebay for $20 with the screws.
painted them black, sprayed the headlight bucket and rim black and wrapped the exhaust. the Kriga bag i used on the monster fits really well and gives me a place for a couple of extra plugs and some tools. Now I'll ride it until it's time to store it for winter. Next season I want to chrome the fork springs (like trek did) and shorten the headlight ears about an inch when I have it apart.

Attachments

• IMG_0276.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 297
  • IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 292
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 895
45exmayor said:
I finally think I am done with changes for this season. I found some HONDA lower tank badges on ebay for $20 wit the screws.
painted them black, sprayed the headlight bucket and rim black and wrapped the exhaust. the Kriga bag i used on the monster fits really well and gives me a place for a couple of extra plugs and some tools. Now I'll ride it until it's time to store it for winter. Next season I want to chrome the fork springs (like trek did) and shorten the headlight ears about an inch when I have it apart.

BOTM nominee? Looks great!

^I'd second that. Great looking bike, Rick! Are you running 18" wheels front and back? I like the way they look.

trek. Really like the muffler. Never had the bike running with a stock one but it is louder than others I have heard. It is probably 30% louder than stock.

Max they are ⅛'so front and rear. With 2.50 tires on both ends. In the little I have ridden it I really like the way it feels. Runs very straight, steers in quickly and since these are so light changes direction is ess curves easily. The only thing I an still getting used to is I don't feel much counter steering pressure like I did with the monster.

45exmayor said:
Really like the muffler. Never had the bike running with a stock one but it is louder than others I have heard. It is probably 30% louder than stock.

Holy cow, thats pretty disappointing to hear. Was hoping it was atleast as quiet as stock. Those quiet cores on the 360 are atleast 50-60% quieter than the crappy glass packs I had, thank god. Riding that thing was miserable after 10 minutes. And guys really hated riding behind me, before.

I am just blown away how quiet the 200 is. Like Stealth mode. :)

I had Fresco conical carbon high mounts and an open air box on the monster so loud is a relative thing to me. The 100 is quiet to me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 287
After several short 5 mi test rides I rode to the monthly vintage bike coffee gathering. 40+ miles round trip. She is really running well on the bottom and top ends and is a little rough mid throttle. Will work to sort that out next week. Got up to 65 indicated pretty easily. She feels very nice in the low to mid 50's and will hold that speed up long grades in 5th. She tracks really well and changes direction amazingly quickly. The shocks set on the lowest notch and 15 wt fork oil give a very nice ride. Next Sunday is the local SlimyCrudRun and I will run out there to look at the bikes. It is about 60mi round trip.
Enjoy today's pics. More next Sunday

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    386.7 KB · Views: 262
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    568.3 KB · Views: 280
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    541.7 KB · Views: 257
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    611.3 KB · Views: 296
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    561.4 KB · Views: 285
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    584.2 KB · Views: 286
It seems that I have finally got the carb very close to right. The '76 125 has a spigot mount 24 mm carb with a 110 main jet. Finally put the needle clip in the top (leanest) groove and that solver the roughness in the mid throttle range. The air screw is between ¾ and 1 turn out. The bike idles great and pulls thru the gears smoothly. The ¼ to ¾ throttle burble is gone. The snorkel for the filter is a length of 1 ½ id silicon radiator hose 7 ¾ in long on the outside of the bend. It is very smooth inside so I don't thinks it upsets the airflow.
I am running it on 93 octain 2 ½ gal of gas.

I used this guide I found on the site to sort it out: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=66720.0;attach=151348;image

It was very helpful. I hope this helps any of you with 100/125s running without the stock air box.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 312
I had a conversation with Terry Miller (http://www.millervintagecycle.com/index.html) about better brake shoes. He recommended these from EBC
they are sintered metal and listed as rear shoes for an XL200. I got them from JC Motors in California they were $42 delivered for both sets. I'll fit them when we are back North md April and let you guys know how they are

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 289
Cool stuff! Really great to hear you've got it running well and the brake pad upgrade is quite useful information. Looking forward to hearing how those work out.

I will be sending my 122cc SL motor parts to him this spring (barrel,head and crank). When I get that back together I'll stick it in and run it until he can build out the 76 motor int a reliable 135cc hot rod. Then I will be selling the 122.

45exmayor said:
This just showed up on Craigslist here in Madison
http://madison.craigslist.org/mcy/5549043148.html

Rck

Nice looking classic.Will it be possible to register if it doesn't have a title in WI.?I wasn't sure if the bike is old enough and they'd allow that

You really need a title in Wisconsin. It is almost impossible without. My bike is registered with tje motor # of the dead 100. I will try to get it moved to the frame this season. I tried to call the cl owner but no answer. Will give a try later and post if there is a title or no

Ick

fitted the sintered brake shoes today they are a perfect replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 295
Made a change to the bars. I had originally planned on using these moped m bars but was concerned that they were too low. After riding with the renthals last fall it felt a little cramped. Took a longer ride with them today and they are really good. Also got a chance to test the new brake shoes. They are a definite upgrade! I have a short emgo lever on the brake and one it pulls up solidly with a two finger pull. I now feel safe in stop and go traffic which I didn't with the stock replacement shoes.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 307
Back
Top Bottom