Take 2: CB750K2 Steampunk(ish) Bobber Thing

Love it. I think my buddy has those Shinko's on his VTX1300 and they are decent tires for regular folk riding. I Imagine you are staining/finishing that to match the gauages?

Awesome, good to know. Yep, 100 coats of Goldspar like the gauges*...

*I maybe exaggerating, probably closer to 90-odd... ;)

This is fantastic. Those gauges and headlight bucket are superb.

Is that a battery box with with all the dovetails?

Thanks mate. Yep, battery, m-unit etc. They're not dovetails though, they're a bit out of my league. They're called box joints, or finger joints. Much easier!

I was taught to do dovetails with a dovetail saw, mortise guage and a chisel. Still to do it that way to this day. I find it hard to believe they are out of your league. Beautiful craftsmanship on this build all the way around.

Thanks mate, I appreciate the vote of confidence. Unfortunately I was not taught how to do dovetails with a dovetail saw et al... mind you, I wasn't taught to do any of this stuff really... It's probably more a case of utilising the tools/advice I had to hand. I think the box joints suit the era/style anyway.

Well, that's about it for this bit until I figure out all the wiring and start drilling holes in it!

IMG_9181.jpg

That is beautiful. It could go on a bike or on a desk or wherever and look good. Shame you will need to drill holes. put them in the least conspicuous place you can.

Looks awesome. Make sure you keep that thing sealed up super well. Running the grain perpendicular on the sides of the box is going to make them want to curl up on ya like a taco, especially when the glue crystallizes.

Yeah, to get the stripes going the right way I obviously I had to run the grain on the front and back the wrong way around, and I wanted to limited the amount of fingers running across the grain to those panels, so the sides had to go the other way. I had a nice snug fit and I used Polyurethane glue which expands as it dries, so I'm hoping that'll make the joints strong enough. And it'll get the 14 coat Spar varnish treatment too, so hopefully that'll help in the elements too. Though, I'm no word-worker, so it's all a bit of guesswork!

JustinLonghorn said:
Hidden hinges on the inside of the box?

Nah, haven't done those yet. It'll all be external brass hardware to fit the theme.

Okey Doke... House is built, garage is mostly put together and I can start fiddling with Douglas again (the actress said to the bishop). Just in time for Photobucket to go crazy on me.. so looks like I'll be spending some time rebuilding this thread too... in the meantime, finally got my welding trolley made and got to do some little touch-ups on the frame:

First I needed to make something to touch it up with...
_MG_1767.jpg

_MG_1763.jpg

Hmm... wrong kind of touching up... maybe they'd work better here...
_MG_1769.jpg

_MG_1770.jpg

_MG_1774.jpg

_MG_1775.jpg

_MG_1781.jpg

_MG_1776.jpg

_MG_1785.jpg

_MG_1789.jpg

Still got some tidying up to do, but the general idea is there.

Now, off to rebuild this thread...

Right, well I finally got some work done this weekend...

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_3096.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

A few clearances issues to sort out...

IMG_3098.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

But at least it's starting to look like a motorcycle!

Back
Top Bottom