piston ring compressor

nukem1r

Im about to put my CB350 top end back together on sunday (camshaft broke in half!!) so i decided to replace my pistons and rings.. does anyone know a trick to compressing the piston rings without having to get 2 of the tools?

Thanks,
Mike

I just cut a strip of steel about 3/4" wide to wrap around piston, bend a slight lip onto one side to prevent it sliding into cylinder
Either hold with a pliers or drill and fit small bolt (just don't drop it into crankcase when removing)
Personally, I've never had any luck with hose clamps
Ringcompressors.jpg

I have the tools but you can do as PJ says or get the proper sized hose clamps, sand down the inside and rough edges. Works well in a pinch.

The bottom of the CB350 cylinders are chamfered so it's not necessary to use a ring compressor. Just apply a coat of oil to the rings, pistons and cylinder walls. Set the pistons at the same height and gently ease the barrels over the rings. You can use a popsicle stick to push the rings in.

Yep, that works well for stock bores (better than using home made ring compressors)
I only make them when there is very little or no 'lead' on bore'
The smallest (and oldest) it to assemble Sthil disc cutter motors, the bolted one (two actually) are for my XS800.
All the others are for 'modified' motors don't even remember what I made some of them for ;) (and it ain't worth wasting time worrying about :D )
Use some PVV pipe to hold pistons level (doesn't leave splinters like wood and can't damage piston like metal)

I meant level as in not tilted, although if your doing a 360 twin or inline 4 you will have 2 'up'

Picture755.jpg

i made these up years ago and they work great and were only a few bucks..the clamps came from menards -modified by removing end swivel and cutting a small groove to fit the stainless steel bands(made from .025 s/s sheet) . i did start modifiing the bands too as without the small cut outs the clamps sometimes slide off the band...i also deburr them with a deburr wheel and had to modify some strap ends for certain cylinders.
also use bent up(u shape) welding rod or micarta sheet to support pistons
good luck,joe@ vcycle

Your cam broke in half? How the heck does that happen, and what does it sound like when it does ;) ?

Not sure it must had a weak spot because it was when I was kicking it over. All of a sudden it got way easier to kick and made the wonderful metal on metal clicking sound. Luckily it didn't chunk off. Got the motor all back together. Putting it back in on Monday and hoping I can get it to fire!!

It's not easy to do but possible on CB350.
Fitting cam chain tensioner before fitting end bearings then levering cam up into position to get screws in stresses cam.
I've never seen it done but have heard of it happening a couple of times, particularly when a new 'race' cam chain is fitted
Make sure the head is torqued down before fitting ends (even if you remove top cover later to check timing)

Back
Top Bottom