Honda CGL 125 Mexican Build

jdub said:
Thanks for the explanation, Erskine. I would find it hard to believe that Honda would put out a crap engine. Their OHV engine is probably the pinnacle of the technology.

They are the exact opposite ..... they are so basic, a 50 year old design barely changed as it evolved, ie they now have CDI and electric start. That is it, Honda got it right first time, combined with Honda quality, reliability and longlevity. The engine is imported to the US as a chinese clone, usually badged LIFAN and with a FMI prefixed model number. Had the CG been exported to the states it would have a cult following. CG 125's will give 140 mpg (uk gallon) my CG 150 gives me 100 mpg and thats with a trials sidecar! :)

crqcycles said:
How often do you change the oil? Is there a special one you recommend?

SAE10w/40 as recomended, buy a good brand, not cheap crap but doesn't need to be liquid gold either. The engine takes exactly one litre. Recommended change is 1800 miles so halve that ( 900 - 1000), check your tyre pressures every week, and it will last for ever, so long as you don't thrash it from cold.

Erskine said:
SAE10w/40 as recomended, buy a good brand, not cheap crap but doesn't need to be liquid gold either. The engine takes exactly one litre. Recommended change is 1800 miles so halve that ( 900 - 1000), check your tyre pressures every week, and it will last for ever, so long as you don't thrash it from cold.
honestly i would do 600-700 miles

Erskine said:
The brace keeps the fork legs moving in line and working as a single hydraulic unit, both up and down at the same time and helps prevent flexing side to side. If you go to a scrapyard and get an old metal guard, the stronger the better, that will fit inbetween the forks, cut it down, job done :)
I WANT one of those swinging arms!

You can always come and visit Mexico ;)

Highwind said:
where do you live in mexico? i would love to go there.

I live in Querétaro; a small city near Mexico City. Have you ever been in Mexico?

crqcycles said:
I live in Querétaro; a small city near Mexico City. Have you ever been in Mexico?
ive been to cabo san lucas but thats so americanized.

i love diving into different cultures though.

heres my CB125

534522_3639697641516_399955343_n.jpg

Highwind said:
ive been to cabo san lucas but thats so americanized.

i love diving into different cultures though.

heres my CB125

Dude! I believe I just saw a vid of your bike on youtube and wondered how those rearsets were installed! Nice to know its actually your bike! It looks awesome. How long did it took to build? Any engine mods? Whats her tops speed?
Really liked it man!
And I know what you say about Cabo, its a city made for tourists.

crqcycles said:
Dude! I believe I just saw a vid of your bike on youtube and wondered how those rearsets were installed! Nice to know its actually your bike! It looks awesome. How long did it took to build? Any engine mods? Whats her tops speed?
Really liked it man!
And I know what you say about Cabo, its a city made for tourists.
just 55mph its a stock cb125 engine. im not the guy who made the bike

Been completely busy; school is bonkers!

Anyway, Made the final reinforcement to the seat; its drying and getting ready to the bondo-sanding stage.
Rims are already painted, I will pick them up in a minute. Pics later.

crqcycles said:
Been completely busy; school is bonkers!

Anyway, Made the final reinforcement to the seat; its drying and getting ready to the bondo-sanding stage.
Rims are already painted, I will pick them up in a minute. Pics later.

im actually selling my seat if you wanna save time.

Here are some picks of the freshly painted gloss-black rims and the rear view mirror I made using parts from the original one and bicycle components.

Attachments

• DSC03392.JPG
    DSC03392.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 380
  • DSC03394.JPG
    DSC03394.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 378
  • DSC03396.JPG
    DSC03396.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 370
  • DSC03398.JPG
    DSC03398.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 341
Also bought a vintage speedo in vintage condition for ten bucks; disassembled it and surprise! It did not work...However I left it with a guy who claims he can repair it, hope he can!
The fiber glass tail is finally in the bondo-sanding stage; Hope to have that one painted by the end of the week!

This project is finally in its final stages :)

Time for more pics. The seat is ready for paint! Just a little details more and the bike will be ready!
Still looking for a speedo. The "vintage" one I had cost a lot to get repaired so i don't have a speedo for now.
I'll try to modify the OEM one to fit in a non-working Harley speedo I have lying over here.

Attachments

• DSC03403.jpg
    DSC03403.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 10,560
  • DSC03404.jpg
    DSC03404.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 478
  • DSC03405.jpg
    DSC03405.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 1,257
Back
Top Bottom