Boardtrack racers ?

RoseCityCafePunk138

Been Around the Block
Anybody else in here into boardtrack racers? I'm building one curently and would like to see if anybody else is? Fun to cruise the streets on when not riding my 69 cb350.

I've toyed around with the idea. Are you modifying an existing frame or are you building one from the ground up? What kind of engine are you using?

Arnt board track racers by definition un streetable? No brakes, direct drive, throttle set wide open. The fact that they had seats it would seem was the only concession to rider comfort!

They ARE fucking cool though.

ProSimex said:
Arnt board track racers by definition un streetable? No brakes, direct drive, throttle set wide open. The fact that they had seats it would seem was the only concession to rider comfort!

They ARE fucking cool though.

Ya, I'm sure he's just talking about drawing a vast majority of build inspiration from them. I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and say he'll run brakes....

IDK, I'd throw a small cc motor into a roadbike frame and hope for the best.

In truth it is a style that gets brought up a lot, but hardly ever gets pulled off well. There were a couple of biker build off 'boardtrack' bikes that came no where close to doing the job. I say go for it, but know it will be a challenge to pull off the look without building it from scratch.

Start with a speedway bike?
500cc 15:1 compression, straight Methonol fuel, 0 to 60 in 3 seconds, NO BRAKES.
Will DO THE TON ! I raced these for years...
You can find used ones in California, Colorado, Michegan, New York, and Ontario for $1000 - $3000
and buy brand new ones for $7,000, or just the engine for $3,500. dealer: http://speedwaybikes.com/cody/index.htm
References:
http://www.speedwaybikes.com

FF111014_9832_MKirby.jpg

I'm actually using a Worksman heavy duty bicycle frame and going OG on this thing. I am of course going to run brakes but I also have about 5-10 other guys I know of in the Portland area that are building/have one and I am going to arrange a race on an abandoned velodrome I found. I am wanting to make a little short on boardtrack racing and hopefully revive it. I would love to see it come back but without the brakeless, wide-open madness it use to be. I still want it crazy but safe for the riders and spectators. I have seen some of the tribute type bikes and I gotta say I'm not a fan. To me a true boardtrack racer is not much more than a bicycle with a fast engine on it. I got a 1917 Indian style tank being welded up and I'm going to do the drop down tube but I'm having issues with a decent engine I like. I'm digging the Whizzer 138cc. On a 35 pound bike, that thing will move!!! Here's mine so far without the tank.
tatesboardie.jpg

RoseCityCafePunk138 said:
...I'm having issues with a decent engine I like...

Maybe a Morini Franco S6-C? produces 11.3 horsies out of a 49cc 2-stroke engine. That means it's still street legal without a title and registration.

Although, the C is water cooled and doesn't look period. The air cooled S6-S still produces over 9hp and nearly looks the part. When I had considered doing this myself, I wanted to use a 125cc Lifan thumper. Obviously I would have needed something sturdier than a bike frame for that though.

Here's my version. Started as a Worksman, stretched, custom tank, ironhead Whizzer engine. I will change my bars soon to a more traditional boardtrack bend.

I also invite any recommendations or critiques.

Attachments

• IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 365
flatcurve: if you based your frame off a workman you could almost hang a smallbock under it! Ok, not really but with a little welding it'd hold that Lifan lump just fine. I am actually thinking along the same lines. I found a link somewhere (gotta search it out again) of a kat that added a crank and pedals to one like a moped engine. THAT would be the shite for something like this

The problem with using a 125cc engine is that it's not legal to ride on the street. Plus, it's got loads more torque than even the mighty little morini. These aren't exactly the safest bikes by design, but I think using anything bigger than 50cc on a bike frame is dangerous. The bearings, hubs and tires are not rated for those kinds of speeds. Spend too much time above 35mph on a bike tire, and it will eventually fly apart.

I think a worksman frame is a quality frame, and the tubing is definitely up to the task. I'd modify it to fit some moped hubs or something, and then get some 19" rims laced to it with heavy duty spokes. Still not sure what I'd do about suspension though.

Flatcurve: you are in essence correct, however.....
Honda built a moped based on the the laydown 50cc motor, for someone with the ability to do fab at this level it should be nothing to 'rework' the Lifan to both, carry pedals as needed and to appear as a 'ped equivalent fiddyseesee. There's not a cop or dmv drone anywhere that is gonna crack the head and measure the bore and stroke. As well......
Those early board track bikes were more or less bicycles with ag engines. Workman wheels are pretty damned stout and there are lots of HD/commercial grade tire options out there to be had.
In my case, I have a pair of SS90 hubs set aside for the project. Add a fresh set of ferodo linings for the shoes and they'll haul a 150lb bike down pretty quickly. I chatted briefly with a guy at Worksman and it sounds like they can drill their rims to suit and provide the commercial grade spokes needed too.

Lastly....let's be honest here for a moment, even with the little conversion engine....street legality is marginal at best. Get creative my man!

Have you guys seen this?

http://www.sportsmanflyer.com/

This was what got me thinking about the morini in the first place...

That morini is a neat looking little engine but spendy!
I regularly pop into sportsman's blog...neat stuff and apparently he's really moving them along!

Back
Top Bottom