Everyone seems obsessed w/ tossing their opinions around here lately, so here...

VonYinzer

Over 10,000 Posts
A good while back I picked up a running and titled DT250 project from Jussy. After watching it be pelted with empty beer bottles for a few hours (as always, thanks Brad) I brought it home.

I haven't had a single moment to dedicate to the bike since, but now it looks like I'm about to get a cool shared work space a block from my apartment.

So what the hell do I do with it? Frame has been modified a couple times and it's missing most of the stock parts, so a real restoration is a no go.

For sake of the following discussion, let's say this is what I have in the parts pile to work with:

Frame
Motor
Stock exhaust and carb
GS 500 forks
Either RD400 mags or I can build some spoke wheels from parts (alloy hoops, drum brakes) lying around
A complete GS 500 monoshock rear suspension set up
Stock tank
A few different set of handlebars (superbike, clip ons, etc...)
A cool cafe style seat (fiberglass, from JRod10)
And some other random shizz...

So if it were your pile of stuff, what would you do?

I can weld and have access to machining equipment so basic fabrication and the like is no issue.

Go...

Do you really have to ask that question? I just built one bike out of 7 different bikes. You know what I think- Take the whole fucking pile, bolt it together, and make it run. Then chase electrical gremlins for a few months. Get drunk. Throw money at it. Make it run better.

deviant said:
Do you really have to ask that question? I just built one bike out of 7 different bikes. You know what I think- Take the whole fucking pile, bolt it together, and make it run. Then chase electrical gremlins for a few months. Get drunk. Throw money at it. Make it run better.

Haha. We'll I have awhile before I do anything. Need to do a winter overhaul on the GS first. And me being me, I like having a plan to completely ignore and deviate from so far I can't see the original idea with the Hubble telescope.

Well, still to reference that hooligan I built...

IMG_7580.jpg

I think a proper hooligan would be rad, and it would do well to combine the dirt and street parts you'll be putting together.

deviant said:
Well, still to reference that hooligan I built...

IMG_7580.jpg

I think a proper hooligan would be rad, and it would do well to combine the dirt and street parts you'll be putting together.
No one cares about my opinion, but I'm going to give it any way. That bike is a pile of...............quality workmanship. I like the hell out of it. Looks like a bunch of fun.

VonYinzer said:
Haha. We'll I have awhile before I do anything. Need to do a winter overhaul on the GS first. And me being me, I like having a plan to completely ignore and deviate from so far I can't see the original idea with the Hubble telescope.
Never put off until tomorrow that which can be put off indefinitely. ;D

VonYinzer said:
A good while back I picked up a running and titled DT250 project from Jussy. After watching it be pelted with empty beer bottles for a few hours (as always, thanks Brad) I brought it home.

I haven't had a single moment to dedicate to the bike since, but now it looks like I'm about to get a cool shared work space a block from my apartment.

So what the hell do I do with it? Frame has been modified a couple times and it's missing most of the stock parts, so a real restoration is a no go.

For sake of the following discussion, let's say this is what I have in the parts pile to work with:

Frame
Motor
Stock exhaust and carb
GS 500 forks
Either RD400 mags or I can build some spoke wheels from parts (alloy hoops, drum brakes) lying around
A complete GS 500 monoshock rear suspension set up
Stock tank
A few different set of handlebars (superbike, clip ons, etc...)
A cool cafe style seat (fiberglass, from JRod10)
And some other random shizz...

So if it were your pile of stuff, what would you do?

I can weld and have access to machining equipment so basic fabrication and the like is no issue.

Go...

Do all that but weld shock mounts on the GS swinger and keep the bike twin shock.

VonYinzer said:
That was a definite thought of mine...

A lot of people think it must be an improvement to graft a mono shock set-up onto a twin shock frame but it can be a can of worms when it comes to frame rigidity / spring rates, etc that can be easily avoided by simply keeping the original twin shock set-up and using a stiffer (IE: the mono shock) swing arm.

deviant said:

I can dig it!

Back
Top Bottom