85 FJ1100 .. Time To Update The Beast !

Well reguardless of holding off to gather parts for the FJ build I don't care if it takes 10 years ! This is because of what I found removing the wheels and by going for the update I found this :

Yes that's whats left of the rear wheel bearing and at any speed could of ended badly ! So after what work I have done to update even if it takes some time it is worth it ! New Bearing are on the way ;D

Good catch!
Proof that even 80's and 90's bikes are now OLD and need to be checked over CAREFULLY.

Carry on...

Kinda figures - water gets in on the disc side and runs across to the sprocket side bearing because the bike is on the side stand.

Good pick-up, by the way ;)

proof that the 25cent carwash/pressure washer is you're worst enemy if used in careless manner
its not a dirt bike, that water got in there from an anal owner constantly "cleaning" his bike

wow, good catch. I am glad I never wash my bike LOL. I was expecting that when I was going over the front hubs of Magoo's new to him wheeler becasue the seals were in backwards, I got lucky and a PO had replaced the bearings with fully sealed ones and they were just fine. Goes to show you need to check em yourself to know.

xb33bsa said:
proof that the 25cent carwash/pressure washer is you're worst enemy if used in careless manner
its not a dirt bike, that water got in there from an anal owner constantly "cleaning" his bike

O I agree on this one ! learned along time ago never use a power washer on a bike ! If that's what did it was PO and the mistake I made was not checking it when I got it home .

Got all the new bearings and seals in was fun as changing bearings can be but learn a few things so that's good thing !!

Put a 140mm air gap in the forks and once I ride it ( if spring ever shows up ) will adjust from there !

Now I can enjoy the FJ and look for all the small parts I need to update !

Well the FJ is back on its feet and fired it yesterday just need to make small adjustments ! Now onto the fun stuff : Need to find a 04 or newer R6 front wheel to see if we can make it fit a FJ speedo drive should be fun ! with this set up will have no problems getting 310-320mm disks which is needed to work with the forks ! Will see ......

Well its back up on the table to finish what I started but took summer off to ride and enjoy. But there was something wrong with the front forks and had a real bad shake up front and got a new toy so been waiting and reading . Now I have a B-day coming up and I always tag one bike to finish up the season ( BOOO ) cuz I have to many other things that needs plates for the winter . So the ZX7 gets the call to finish it ....

The monkey is under cover till I get the FJ done ... I just need to step back because it driving me crazy and don't want to do anything ill regret !!

OK onto the FJ........
Ive been looking for parts and was planning on moveing to GSXR wheels but once I put a Suk wheel on felt like I was giving up LOL so back to Yam R stuff ;D

The Back wheel update : Its all done but for a sprocket ,brake bleed , and a tire burn off to make sure everything is good !!!! ( then new tire )

The front end update : Painted the lower tree and mounted it . Looking for a good early R1/6 front wheel ( 04-06 ) and man are they upper there . (RANT) What the hell is with everyone pulling the wheel all apart and selling parts individually JUST keep it together and give me one F*#King price ( end of rant )

Got lil work done on the FJ top tree over the weekend . Had to cut the stems that hold the ignition in place and retap them then mounted up with NPs . Was thinking of going with superbike bars and would have to make a set of bar clamps but think im going to go with a nice set of Heli bars that mount under the top tree !!

Thanks guys !

Trying to keep it as stock as i can and give the look of a factory bike ! Just as if Yamaha would do it today if they made one !

DreadRock said:
The Back wheel update : Its all done but for a sprocket ,brake bleed , and a tire burn off to make sure everything is good !!!! ( then new tire )

Liking this build. Always on the look-out for modern wheels on an older bike threads ;-)

Should there be a big round washer before that axle nut, so its clamped to the swing arm rather than the adjuster? (not familiar with the yammie set-up, but Hondas have 'em ::) )

nut.jpg

cheers
ian

On the FJ swinger there is but they sit in the slots ! I'll get a pic up for you

Back
Top Bottom