'71 CB450 Front end Upgrade to EX250 ?'s

Were you planning on using the disc carrier from the 450 that you already have? That won't be a straigh bolt-on because it has 9 or 10 rivets / mount points as opposed to the 6 bolt holes on the EX disc.

IMG_0864-1.jpg

Hi Hill

I was going to try to remove the rivets like DJ did on his CB swap. I will mount the disc like he did.. well I hope to anyway. I just bought a ex250 disc on the cheap from ebay to see if it will match up. If not then I probably will scratch the idea as I don't have any of these spare parts laying around. I have to keep buy them and hoping they work. keeping my fingers crossed

Chris L. said:
Dj thank you so much for positing on my thread. Your thread is the reason I was trying to tackle this upgrade. I have read and read your thread and watched your video over and over. I think I will go ahead and give it a shot. I was hoping you would stop in to share your experiences. I know it can be done, I just need to stop being a pussy and go for it.

You used the EX brake bracket right? I see that the speedo drive helped you line it all up? How did you make your spacers for the wheel to line up on the other side?

Thanks again for stoping by. I really appreciate your help

I used the stock EX500 Axle and spacers. They happened to line up perfectly. Yes I used The EX caliper and master cylinder as well.

Hi, sorry it took so long to get back to you...
So as DJ says, use as much of the EX stuff as you can, there are very good pads available that'll make that disc work juuuuust fine for any speed you'll make with the 450. Dig up a CB360 disc and.....bolt the EX disc to theCB carrier just like he did. That should bolt to your 450 hub IIRC. The stem bearings should be the same for the 450 as on the 360, though be sure to verify. If not, just drop an email to allballs and they will likely set you up directly. The EX front end is a nice budget setup for what you're doing and the top clamp can be dressed up nicely. Get yourself over racetech, they can make you springs to suit whatever weight you need...just wait till the bike is mostly done before that step so you get the right weight. You can also get emulators to fit those4 forks that'll take them from good to very good on rough roads. The other good thing about that front end on a smaller bike...it's light compared to stuff from bigger bikes and weight savings are going to be a boon to performance. You'll be pleased with it once it's on and dialed in.

If you do decide to swap to a larger front disc (seriously, try the 250 disc with ebc or galfer pads and braided lines first) there are several almost bolt on options for your 450 hub and as PJ says, making a caliper bracket is easy as pie. If you can do basic maintenance, you CAN do this conversion.

Swagger said:
Hi, sorry it took so long to get back to you...
So as DJ says, use as much of the EX stuff as you can, there are very good pads available that'll make that disc work juuuuust fine for any speed you'll make with the 450. Dig up a CB360 disc and.....bolt the EX disc to theCB carrier just like he did. That should bolt to your 450 hub IIRC. The stem bearings should be the same for the 450 as on the 360, though be sure to verify. If not, just drop an email to allballs and they will likely set you up directly. The EX front end is a nice budget setup for what you're doing and the top clamp can be dressed up nicely. Get yourself over racetech, they can make you springs to suit whatever weight you need...just wait till the bike is mostly done before that step so you get the right weight. You can also get emulators to fit those4 forks that'll take them from good to very good on rough roads. The other good thing about that front end on a smaller bike...it's light compared to stuff from bigger bikes and weight savings are going to be a boon to performance. You'll be pleased with it once it's on and dialed in.

If you do decide to swap to a larger front disc (seriously, try the 250 disc with ebc or galfer pads and braided lines first) there are several almost bolt on options for your 450 hub and as PJ says, making a caliper bracket is easy as pie. If you can do basic maintenance, you CAN do this conversion.

Swag,

You and DJ always have the best posts! Thank you for taking the time to write on this thread. I will post more as I get these parts in and see how they all match up.

I am sure I will be bugging you guys more if you don't mind?

I already have a ex 250 rotor on the way to see if it will match up to the rivets like DJ 500 disc did. I will post some pics this week when it arrives. I will for sure do what you are suggesting if it doesn't. Keeping my fingers crossed

Thanks again for all of the help

Chris

djelliott said:
I used the stock EX500 Axle and spacers. They happened to line up perfectly. Yes I used The EX caliper and master cylinder as well.

I hope Im that lucky... my luck is not as that good though..... its so bad if it were raining pussies I would get hit with a dick !!!!! :eek:

Chris L. said:
PJ,

Thanks for positing that. I have a full tool shop just no mill :mad: , I've always wanted a mill I need to get one, oh well one day. .. Its great to see that it can be done with what I have. I may be picking your brain once I get there if you don't mind? Thanks again for all of the help

Chris

I 'chain drilled' around the curves, hacksawed out, filed to shape with half round file, then used flap wheel

Time for an update....

I received the EX250 disc in.. it is so close but no cigars with the 450 disk/rivet mounts. :mad:

I will do as swag suggests and get a CB360 disc and see if the EX 250 mates up the rivet/mounting bracket of the CB360

wish me luck!!!

Pretty sure they used the same carrier. You might want to check before you spend money. How big is the 250 disk? I may have one for you.

Hi Dj,

Let me know where you need me to measure and I and I can get you dimensions.. I will wait to order the 360 disc until you all give me the green light

Measure the size of the EX250 rotor. I have an extra one that might work. The 450 had a 6 rivet carrier right?

The EX 250 rotor is 10 3/16th wide

It look like it has 8 rivets? Maybe that is where my CB rotor is different

Here is a photo of the CB rotor on the wheel

IMG_0960.jpg

EX250 rotor on top of the cb rotor

IMG_0963.jpg

EX250 with tape measure.

IMG_0964.jpg

Thank DJ, let me know your thoughts

Oops, sorry dude. Yes, 8 rivets. 6 bolts to hold the carrier to the hub. Let me see what I have.

No it's 6. Just like yours now that I actually looked at the photo. The one I have is to big. 10.5 inches. Damn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, bitches.

What do you think I should do? Should I get the cb360 disc that is mounted to the rivets and see if it fits the 250Ex dic?

hillsy said:
Why don't you get the 450 wheel and disc inside the EX forks and see how the caliper sits?

Hey Hill

Thanks for the reply. I was waiting to buy the EX forks to make sure I had a viable option. I didn't want to buy them and them not work. I go back and forth if I should just buy em or not. I see them all over ebay but none of them sell. I just didn't want to be stuck with some forks I didn't use?? What do you think

Shit....I see some of the issue here....
DJ, didn't you run an 08-ish ex250 disc on the 360 carrier? Sorry Chris, didn't evem cross my mind until now...it's the pseudo-wave rotor you want.
Seriously though, looking at where you are for parts, I'd say back up and go look for I believe it's a mid-90's CBR disc that bolts to the CB450 hub? PJ, do you have any input on this? I've seen late model sportbike discs bolted to CB hubs, at that point you really would be down to just chipping out a caliper adapter to move your stock EX or perhaps something more exotic to the proper position.

Back
Top Bottom