How to Title a Bike the Right Way

HiroProtagonist

Been Around the Block
Hey All,

Just wanted to let you know that I followed these instructions and it worked like a dream. Within 20 days I was riding legally in Washington state for $70. Saved me about $200 and a 6-8 week wait for an inspection - one that I probably would not have passed considering my blinkers are not currently wired up!

http://www.chinonthetank.com/2014/04/get-a-title-with-a-vermont-registration/

Did the same with my CB750 last year when my brother couldn't find the paperwork on the bike after it had been in his storage unit for 3 years. Worked like a charm in Florida.

Awesome! It was terrifying sending it off - particularly as there aren't any recent examples of people saying it worked!

I've used a the "Vermont registration" technique a couple of times to get old bikes titled and back on the road in Massachusetts. For bikes of the right age, it's a great money saving bureaucratic bypass. In Massachusetts, if you don't have a previous registration or title, you're pretty much SOL.

The only problem with buying and untitled bike is if it is a stolen bike......Then those plans go awry.

Make sure the bike you are buying is not stolen.....

I think I'm going to do this for my old project... It's getting late in the summer and I don't think I'll have time to get the inspection done, and really don't want to deal with the 3-year temporary process we have in WA. Glad to see it worked recently for someone else in WA. Let us know when you do the title transfer if they're weird about it.

For all my Utah members here is a link for Utah's system which is pretty easy and works quite well

http://dmv.utah.gov/titles/transfer-without-title

Also in Utah before 1986 they did not require titles for motorcycles so titling barn finds is usually pretty easy

Yeah, I always call State Patrol with the VIN before buying. It's an easy, but vital, step. $74 total for the registration (including tabs for a year) was something I was pretty happy about, though.

One thing of note for Washington is that you need a Cop to come by and verify the VIN and give you a business card. Vermont will call them when they're processing the paperwork and just say "Hey did this guy really have this bike with this VIN" and the Cop will say "Yes", and then you rejoice.

HiroProtagonist said:
One thing of note for Washington is that you need a Cop to come by and verify the VIN and give you a business card. Vermont will call them when they're processing the paperwork and just say "Hey did this guy really have this bike with this VIN" and the Cop will say "Yes", and then you rejoice.
Same applies for VT if the bike is more than 650cc. I had do that for my '73 CB750. Worked like a charm. I have done this with 3 bikes that I have bought without one single hiccup (knock on wood.) I too live in Taxachusetts!!!!!

HiroProtagonist said:
Do you just call state patrol and ask them to verify it in person?

When you go the VT route, you have to have a VIN verification form filled out by a LEO anyway. It would certainly be a shitty way to find out a bike is stolen...

Stupid question, but what is LEO? VT route went fine, but will I have to get the LEO form filled out to swap registration to WA?

Either way, I just called State Patrol and they were able to tell me that it had not been registered in their system for over 20 years, so they didn't even have record of it.

UEuOC.gif

1fasgsxr said:
I know this is old but I am getting ready to try it on possibly 2 motorcycles...

It works a charm. Just make sure you get the right value for the taxes or you'll have to resubmit everything.

Going to give this a shot as well here soon. Printed everything out and got the PO to sign and fill out the official CA DMV Bill of sale. He forgot to include his DL number does that matter? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They won't bother you about DL number. As Von said, the taxes are the important bit. They just want the cash. I was told to use the NADA value for a "good" condition example of the bike (I paid $50, they originally told me to use the minimum tax of $30 but then sent everything back for me to resubmit).

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom