hand vs cut off wheel, and you?

Man you guys make me feel lucky. I don't have anything near this insane but one of the guys that work in our maintainence shop was running a HUGE drill press when the finger of one of his gloves got caught on the bit. It actually wrapped his hand/wrist/forearm around it. When somebody else shut it off the dude unwraps himself, pulls off his glove and 2 of his fingers stayed in it. Poor guy already lost a finger on that hand before so now he has to drink his coffee using his remaining digits - pinkie and thumb.

Big R said:
Man you guys make me feel lucky. I don't have anything near this insane but one of the guys that work in our maintainence shop was running a HUGE drill press when the finger of one of his gloves got caught on the bit. It actually wrapped his hand/wrist/forearm around it. When somebody else shut it off the dude unwraps himself, pulls off his glove and 2 of his fingers stayed in it. Poor guy already lost a finger on that hand before so now he has to drink his coffee using his remaining digits - pinkie and thumb.
Toldya so ;)

so here is my burn from welding. nothing life threatening. just funny looks from folks. and i was wearing gloves. thick leather ones much heavier than welding gloves.

fresh burn
IMG_8980.jpg

a few weeks later
IMG_8991.jpg

and for fun i thought id post this one. i dislocated my finger while surfing.

Hoyer-to-the-Hosptal-078.jpg

not a personal injury, but one to an old roommate. story is this:

New Years 2002, in Iowa City partying, head back to Ames the next morning and walk in my apartment with blood on the walls, all over the floor and on the ceiling (seriously, blood on the ceiling) and my twin bro and room mate are no where to be found. so i'm freaking out at the amount of dried blood that has run down the walls from light switches and the dried 'chips' of blood that were on the kitchen floor. So after about 5 minutes of frantically calling random people whom might have been @ my place the night before my brother and roomie walk in with Ray-Ray in a bright green cast on his right arm. I was like 'WHO THE FUCK GOT KILLED IN HERE LAST NIGHT??!'

what had happened is my roomie and bro and a few others were playing a round of last man standing with bottles of So-Co and Admiral Nelson (gotta love being broke and in college) and my roomie happened to have a brand new bread machine. so after a bottle or 3 they make some apple cinnamon bread and whist cutting the delicious savory yumminess that is homemade bread he completely took his thumb clean off. (dont ask me how, but the thumb was on the floor...go go miracle blade i guess) and in the 'Oh Shit Moment' he was spinning wildly while the artery was spitting blood like a watergun all over the apartment. he had so much alcohol in him that the blood dried up into 'chips' like little red cornflakes. he got it re-attached but has no movement in it 7 years later.

funkja said:
not a personal injury, but one to an old roommate. story is this:

New Years 2002, in Iowa City partying, head back to Ames the next morning and walk in my apartment with blood on the walls, all over the floor and on the ceiling (seriously, blood on the ceiling) and my twin bro and room mate are no where to be found. so i'm freaking out at the amount of dried blood that has run down the walls from light switches and the dried 'chips' of blood that were on the kitchen floor. So after about 5 minutes of frantically calling random people whom might have been @ my place the night before my brother and roomie walk in with Ray-Ray in a bright green cast on his right arm. I was like 'WHO THE FUCK GOT KILLED IN HERE LAST NIGHT??!'

what had happened is my roomie and bro and a few others were playing a round of last man standing with bottles of So-Co and Admiral Nelson (gotta love being broke and in college) and my roomie happened to have a brand new bread machine. so after a bottle or 3 they make some apple cinnamon bread and whist cutting the delicious savory yumminess that is homemade bread he completely took his thumb clean off. (dont ask me how, but the thumb was on the floor...go go miracle blade i guess) and in the 'Oh Shit Moment' he was spinning wildly while the artery was spitting blood like a watergun all over the apartment. he had so much alcohol in him that the blood dried up into 'chips' like little red cornflakes. he got it re-attached but has no movement in it 7 years later.
WOW...

call it blind luck, but 7 cars and 4 bikes of fiddling and i have no wounds to show for it.
i'll admit i'm not especially safe either. maybe i just haven't learnt my lesson yet.
got the bad habits from dad... he's managed to get through technical college in communist poland in the 70s, work at a tractor plant, go on to be a chemical plant supervisor, with some line operator work and he's never hurt himself either.
the only thing he ever stresses is to wear welding gauntlets and visors, which i would anyway.
the amount of buffing, cutting, etc i've done with no eyewear or gloves (or shit, anymore than shorts and a tshirt on) is worrying.
someone out there likes us, but i know it won't last so i've gotten a lot better over the last year or so.

edit: i'll admit when i painted 2pac last without a respirator i felt the toxicity for a few days after and i've vowed never to try without either a respirator, or never to paint 2pack again. god that was awful.

probably didn't help that i was using the flash times to have a cigarette though.

Back
Top Bottom